Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MegaZzZeux

Adding new levels to a hub? (ZDoom)

Alright, I have tried copying levels, and renaming in WinTex (like one would do in a Doom2.exe wad) to make multiple levels for a hub... yet it will not work.

Any help would be nice.

Without more detailed explanation what you are doing and what does not work it's almost impossible to help you. Simply renaming 'normal' levels won't convert them into a hub. Level entry/exit has to be done completely differently.
Contrary to some people's beliefs it is NOT necessary to use scripts to create hubs. You have to declare the hub in the MAPINFO lump for it to work correctly, however.

I am trying to add more levels...

such as with Doom2.exe levels, you copy MAP01 to BLOCKMAP, then rename the original MAP01 to MAP02... then PASTE.

Using WinTex, of course.

Good GOD are you ever off. Wintex has very little to do with this... it is mainly a MAPINFO problem. Here's a little MAPINFO example I wipped up for you (don't worry I tested it with a few blocky maps.)

map MAP01 "CRaZed..."
next MAP02
sky1 SKY4 0
par 90
cluster 1
music D_runnin
nointermission

map MAP02 "Ghost House"
next MAP03
sky1 SKY4 0
par 90
cluster 1
music D_ghost
nointermission
lightning

map MAP34 "Warp Zone"
sky1 SKY4 0
cluster 1
music D_warp
nointermission

clusterdef 1
hub
basically putting nointermission on them and then using the "TeleportToLevel" (or something like that) Zdoom command, you can switch back and forth between levels of the same cluster and the game will remember everything about that level until you switch clusters. If you just want more levels than it is simple. Use the MAPINFO lump again. Just keep adding definitions until you reach your desired number.
map MAP33 "Something"
nextmap MAP34
cluster 1

map MAP34 "Next Level"
nextmap MAP35
cluster 1
Be sure the name of the map lump in your wad matches what you call it in the MAPINFO or Zdoom will likely crash. I hope this helps.

Bleh, still the damned errors- if this helps any, here is my MAPINFO

map MAP01 "Next Level"
music MUSIC
sky1 SKY1 0.0
nointermission
cluster 1

map MAP02 "Fire"
music MUSIC
next MAP01
sky1 SKY1 0.0
nointermission
cluster 1

map MAP03 "Water"
music MUSIC
next MAP01
sky1 SKY1 0.0
nointermission
cluster 1

map MAP04 "Wind"
music MUSIC
next MAP01
sky1 SKY1 0.0
nointermission
cluster 1

clusterdef 1
hub
exittext
"Elements - By MegaZzZeux
Thanks for playing!"
music D_READ_M

You were doing the right thing with wintex, that's how you make more levels in the wad. THEN you do the mapinfo stuff, which defines those levels you put in, and makes them a hub.

The only problem with your MAPINFO I can see is that when you put

music MUSIC
You did not specify what file MUSIC was supposed to use. Just remove the music line and it will play the default for that level. Of course you may have to specify the music once you go beyond 32...

Really, it is so odd-

I copy it, load it in WadAuthor, delete everything from Map02 (since it is a copy of Map01). When I load Map01, it is deleted, and it is as if Map02 does not exist. :-/

I had a hunch that it was the missing BEHAVIOR and SCRIPTS lumps... each level needs one of those in ZDoom, right? Thing is, I haven't a clue how to copy THOSE in Wintex.

Oh, the music MUSIC thing would probably be my fault... I once showed MegaZzZeux one of my MAPINFOs, in which the wad did indeed have a MIDI in it that I just called MUSIC. :-P

netnomad: LMAO! A single-map wad I hope. Traditionaly MIDI lumps start with D_ to tell things like XWE that they are Doom music files.

MegaZzZeux: Did you just copy the whole wad? There's your problem. The filename of the wad DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING FOR THE MAP NUMBER. The map number is what the LUMP INSIDE THE WAD FILE is. If you look at wads in XWE you'll see something called MAP01. THAT IS THE MAP NUMBER, not the filename. If you were to open your MAP02 in XWE you would find a MAP01 lump and NOT a MAP02 lump. You can either edit it someway in Doom Builder or WadAuthor, or if I am correct you can merrily rename it in XWE. I hope THIS one makes sense.

Heh, I believe that isn't the problem...

About the music lump, yes, I'm well aware of that... but midi2mus had a problem with this particular MIDI and so I had to add it as a data lump instead. It didn't matter since the map is for Skulltag, and it'll be recognized anyway. But I didn't feel like using a D_ name there.

Alright, I successfully added a level 2, thanks to the help of WinTex and XWE combined.

Now I need to find out how to teleport from level to level...

(like 3 exits in level 1)

I think I tried that, but it did not work... So I looked into "A Warm Place" to see what he did, and the "Teleport to new level" took to a destination in the current level.

There's something missing from your mapinfo...namely this:

map MAP01 "Next Level"
levelnum 1
music MUSIC
sky1 SKY1 0.0
nointermission
cluster 1
as this is the map number that Teleport_NewMap uses. And if the error is on the 2nd line, then it must be that missing that's doing it.