Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Echarin

Dumb question:

I just recently got back into level editing for Doom and I've forgotten how to play levels. I've got Doom Builder and it has a Test Map feature, but I can't get it to work. Whenever I try it the MS-DOS-thingy window opens up, just like it always does when I start up Doom 2, but then it just goes away and I'm returned to the editor.

How do I run my maps?

Oh, I can run Doom 2 just fine (well, maybe not fine, but I can run it.... just really slow), but I need to know how to run my maps.

Grazza said:

doom2 -file wadname.wad

Ok, now tell me where that goes.

ps. I got the test in the editor to work (I had the .exe in configurations set to Doom 2.exe instead of DOOM2.exe, but it can't open my map. In the DOS-like window it says that it couldn't open +map and couldn´t open M01, and then there´s a line that says ´Couldn´t open´ and then nothing else.....

In a command prompt or from "Start button ... Run" (you'll probably need to put the path in front of it then; e.g. c:\doom2\doom2 -file wadname.wad). Obviously, that doesn't involve DoomBuilder.

I don't know how you'd do it from inside DoomBuilder (never used it), but I'm surprised it doesn't work "out of the box" - the equivalent function seems to work OK in WadAuthor under XP.

Have you given your map a valid DOS filename? (eight characters maximum, no spaces, etc.)

Grazza said:

In a command prompt or from "Start button ... Run" (you'll probably need to put the path in front of it then; e.g. c:\doom2\doom2 -file wadname.wad). Obviously, that doesn't involve DoomBuilder.

I don't know how you'd do it from inside DoomBuilder (never used it), but I'm surprised it doesn't work "out of the box" - the equivalent function seems to work OK in WadAuthor under XP.

Have you given your map a valid DOS filename? (eight characters maximum, no spaces, etc.)

The name of the map is Map01.wad, no spaces.

OT: I downloaded Legacy and I can't get it to work. How do I set it up?

Make sure the Legacy files are in the same folder as your iwads (or copy the iwads to your Legacy folder). Run Legacy.exe. Then you can use the Legacy Launcher, if you wish.

Echarin said:

The name of the map is Map01.wad, no spaces.

MAPxx.WAD and ExMy.WAD files can't be loaded with the original doom exes as far as I know. Try renaming.

Donce said:

MAPxx.WAD and ExMy.WAD files can't be loaded with the original doom exes as far as I know. Try renaming.

Uh... to what?

Echarin said:

Uh... to what?

Mylevel.wad, Itrocks.wad, Killer.wad, just anything as long as it is not Mapxx.wad.

In the Doom Builder Map Options I have to select the game the map is for, and to the right of that drop-down list it says Name, and I have to type something there. What is that for, and does it matter what I put there?

I don't have Doombuilder at hand, so I don't know; but first just make sure that the wad file is not named Map01.wad. Then try running it from the command prompt (not from within doombuilder): doom2.exe -file wadname.wad. If it fails to load, tell what error you receive. If it loads fine but doesn't from within doombuilder then the wad itself it OK, you've got to configure doombuilder properly.

Doom Builder, Configuration --> Testing, browse for doom2.exe and in the parameters field try:
-file %A %F -warp %E %M -skill 3

CodeImp said:

Doom Builder, Configuration --> Testing, browse for doom2.exe and in the parameters field try:
-file %A %F -warp %E %M -skill 3

It seemed to load just fine when I tried, but then when Doom 2 started I was playing the first map of Doom 2 and not my map.

Maybe the map isn't replacing MAP01 of Doom2, maybe it's something else. Send it to me by e-mail if you wish and I'll check.

Echarin said:

In the Doom Builder Map Options I have to select the game the map is for, and to the right of that drop-down list it says Name, and I have to type something there. What is that for, and does it matter what I put there?

Yes it does matter. It should be MAP01 or MAP02, or E1M1 or etc etc etc.

Ok, like Epyo said you have type in which MAP## or E#M# that map is for in the Doom Builder screen. What Grazza was trying to say is that you might need to rename the FILENAME of the wad. You know when you go clicking around the folders and you see the file. If those two things are correct, then Doom Builder should run the test fine. If not, then you obviously have no idea what were trying to say to you.

Echarin said:

and discovered my map sucks. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Be happy that you noticed it now, and not after releasing it :P

Yes, we all know how that goes. Think of the horror if you released a crappy wad on DeathZ0r's week? He would have a field day. A good example of DeathZ0r flaming a map really bad is when he was sent in a map that did nothing but bring up Zdoom's extremely fatal error screen. That was a good laugh.

Donce said:

On the contrary, I have done that several times with maps named Map04.wad, E2M2.wad, etc etc.

Donce said:

Yes they can.

Actually I lied about my map being bad. In fact I don't know if it's any good or not since I'm not much of a Doom player (I like the level creation more than playing). It's finished, though maybe not, and I'll be releasing it for everyone to test and give comments. That kind of topic would go in.... Wads and Mods, right?

I said:

Oops, sorry, I'm losing memory :)

You can't name demos in this format, not wads. Out of curiosity I tried playing map01.lmp in Eternity engine and it failed:

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

So not only the original exe can't play them but at least some ports as well.