Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SunlapseVertigo

Doom 64 on pc?

If you have Doom 64 for the N64, you can download the DooM64 rom from somewhere (which is only legal if you have the game cartridge itself) and play it on the pc using an emulator.

I believe there's also a Plugin for N64 emulators to allow PC-style controls in a variety of FPS games, but I haven't tried it with Doom64.

kristus said:

There's no Emulators that support OGL they only support 3DFX.. as far as I could find anyway.

As it's been told this is not true, and in addition, you can get progs that make progs like UltraHLE use opengl/d3d instead of 3dfx....but P64 is by far the best emulator i've tried.

Commercial ROMs are always illegal. You can have 100 legal copies of the game, and it's still gonna be illegal. That's copyright law for you.

According to the law, at least in my country, any commercial ROM is legal as long you own the cartridge itself..

EvisceratoR said:

According to the law, at least in my country, any commercial ROM is legal as long you own the cartridge itself..

Which country is that?

Denmark...now, I'm not a 100% sure, but i'm pretty sure it's like that .. and i thought it was like that in any other country as well... i've read on lots of sites that ROMs are illegal when you've had them in your possession for more than 24 hours, unless you own the rom's cartridge.

EvisceratoR said:

i've read on lots of sites that ROMs are illegal when you've had them in your possession for more than 24 hours, unless you own the rom's cartridge.

That's bullshit. It has always been bullshit. It's just something that sites used to make it look like they're respecting the law.

Now, I'm pretty sure, that according to the US copyright law, all ROMs are illegal in any form. So are unauthorized copies of anything, even if for backups. But, in practice, this is a gray area, and no one cares. I think it's the same in other countries too.

Well, here in Denmark, we're allowed to borrow CDs from a library, copy the CD to MP3 files and use those files as long as we don't give the files to anyone else, and we can also make copies of our own CDs as much as we want to... so i think something similar must apply for ROMs as well.

edit: Nevermind this post, i just read that this law was changed 2 months ago.

Isnt there just an Iwad or something that you could get *leagaly* and run it off DoomsDay engine?

dr_st said:

That's bullshit. It has always been bullshit. It's just something that sites used to make it look like they're respecting the law.

Now, I'm pretty sure, that according to the US copyright law, all ROMs are illegal in any form. So are unauthorized copies of anything, even if for backups. But, in practice, this is a gray area, and no one cares. I think it's the same in other countries too.

the united states has a concept called "fair use" which says that you are allowed to make backup copies for personal use of a copyrighted work that you have purchased.

this means that you are allowed to make a copy (for personal use) of mario 64 if you own and paid for the mario 64 cartridge (because the cartridge is the only form in which nintendo sells the data).

unfortunately, since the tools for reading the data from game cartridges are archaic and rare (moreso because of legal pressure by game companies), it is almost always easier to grab the data from the internet instead of copying the data personally.

the fair use areas of copyright law do not specify that you have to duplicate the data personally if you wish to keep a personal backup, so grabbing the data from the internet is a pretty huge grey area because noone can prove whether anyone else already owns a legal copy of the copyrighted work. this problem is made worse due to the game companies (nintendo) suppressing cartridge-reading hardware like my gameboy transfer unit.

in short, ROM data is not outright illegal despite what Nintendo might want everyone to believe.

O yea, i just got the Doom 64 TC pack from doom2.net and love it, but im having a problem with the hud weapons being 1 inch above the bottom of the screen.

You are using Doomsday's JDooM?
if no so... you can't play it on the normal DooM2, ZDoom, Legacy, BooM, etc.

BTW, I downloaded this game and I like it very much :)
-Great 3D gfx
-39 levels, great stuff :)
-the laser gun and the absolution heads are great! ! !
-Cool effects!

If I can to vote this level, I will give to it 5/5. :)

SSWolfenSie said:

BTW, I downloaded this game and I like it very much :)
-Great 3D gfx
-39 levels, great stuff :)
-the laser gun and the absolution heads are great! ! !
-Cool effects!

Crashes on MAP30 always. :)

10/10!!!