Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skippii

Anyone wish ID had added a new monstor for Ultimate Doom?

I was kinda dissapointed by the Spider in E4. I'd hoped that they'd make a new boss for the Ultimate release. I mean, they'd already changed the exe file a bit--it doesn't seem like it would have been that hard.

Which also makes me wonder why no one has created source ports with extra monsters--especially user-defined ones, where you could list the attributes in a cfg file.

But anyway--did anyone else thing this about E4? Or at least something different? I did like that the level wasn't like the rest of the boss levels (pretty much single room, just one monster).
Even something like two spiders, or a cyber and a spider, or two cybers so they don't kill each other. Or after you kill it, instead of having it exit the level, it could bring out another monster.

I must say, when i bought ultimate doom, i did expect more...and yes, i was quite disappointed with the spider boss in E4.. imho, E4 would have benefitted greatly by their adding new monsters..oh well..they were probably too lazy :P

Skippii said:

(...)why no one has created source ports with extra monsters--especially user-defined ones, where you could list the attributes in a cfg file.

IIRC, EDGE has no problem doing that in *.DFF (?) format files. You could take a look at Fanatic's QDOoom, which is for EDGE port and uses all Quake monsters without removing original Doom ones. The same goes to weapons, items and all the rest.

And also a well scripted ZDoom map would have plenty of new monsters, maybe not done so well as in EDGE, but still it's possible.

And sticiking to the thread: Yes I was hoping to see some new monsters in UDoom, but I was dissapointed more by a total lack of new textures...

The same could be said for Shadow of the Serpent Riders (Heretic), but at least the maps were quite enjoyable and there were two extra episodes (and three secret maps) instead of just one.

Yes, you can create totally new monsters (weapons, scenery, attacks, animated textures, door/floor/ceiling/crusher/teleport linedefs, sounds, episodes, levels..) using EDGE, and also Eternity, now that it has those DDF-like files

Ichor said:

The same could be said for Shadow of the Serpent Riders (Heretic), but at least the maps were quite enjoyable and there were two extra episodes (and three secret maps) instead of just one.

A new weapon, enemy or artifact couldn't have hurt though. I suppose they thought that the levels themselves (and they are very good) would hold Heretic fans over.

The newest releases of ZDoom are capable of adding new monsters via the DECORATE lump.
No need to replace existing graphics for new monster frames and such. It also seems more robust than using scripting to control a monster.

blah, maybe I don't know what I am talking about.

KoRn said:

The newest releases of ZDoom are capable of adding new monsters via the DECORATE lump.
No need to replace existing graphics for new monster frames and such. It also seems more robust than using scripting to control a monster.

blah, maybe I don't know what I am talking about.

The newest version of ZDoom can indeed support new monsters.

As for Ultimate Doom, sure thing I was disappointed, but I think I was disappointed with just about every single commercial Doom wad out there. I expected a Doom 3 dammit, not the same ol' graphics, monsters and weapons over and over again.

Though I thought the E4 endpic was nice (even if the doomguy looks rather fat on that).

Funny thing, I read a review of Ultimate Doom long before I got it myself and that made me decide not to buy it. Same with Final Doom. I wouldn't go out and buy a commercial wad just because it had the name "Doom" stamped on it - I wanted new stuff other than just new levels).
My first "meeting" with both Ultimate Doom and Final Doom did not occur until two years ago when I bought Collector's Edition.

Never played the Masterlevels for the same reasons given above.

Job said:

Never played the Master Levels. I want to really bad, though.

Imagine 14 or so decent 1995-era levels. WOWOWOWOWOWOWO

Linguica said:

Hey, dr. sleep's maps was fine. :P
But tim willit's was just plain shit.
Sverre's was fine / decent, but I'd liked to seen a new style from his side (iirc they are all marble themed).

Linguica said:

Heh, yeah, if I was looking for good up-to-date levels, I'd look in every other /newstuff. I only want to play the master levels for nostalgia's sake and also because they're quasi-classics.

I think I have Master Levels somewhere on my hard-drive. Is it legal if I pass them to you, Job?

ellmo said:

I think I have Master Levels somewhere on my hard-drive. Is it legal if I pass them to you, Job?

Unfortunately not. They are a commercial product.

Torn said:

Sverre's was fine / decent, but I'd liked to seen a new style from his side (iirc they are all marble themed).

I though both Sverre and Tim did a good job on their MC levels, but that's me.

Torn said:

And Tim's an Id employee these days and workin' on Doom 3!?

Shiiieeeeeet...:-/

:-P