Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ubik

Doom monster "profiles"

Something I've been whipping up randomly, from my own ideas about the nature of Hell and Doom's demons.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ubik/doommonsters.html

Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but what the hell. This is also subject to some editing, and will probably have additional material in the near future.

/edit Thanks to the mods for moving the topic to the proper place. :)

I don't feel like reading all of it, but what I've read so far was actually really interesting, and gave me some ideas for level design, and such :) *thumbs up*

Very imaginative.
Now I feel like writing something like that :-)

dsm said:

Very imaginative.
Now I feel like writing something like that :-)

Heheh, thanks. :) That's just the way I've always imagined the creatures in Doom, and since I've seen this kind of thing done on other Doom websites before, I figured it wouldn't hurt to write my own version of one. :)

Your thingambob has made me think, I wonder if id will add a bit of variety to the monsters by giving the cybernetic ones random weapons.

Bit of an update :) Now including the Former Human and the Baphomet.

Hey, I like it, you use the word 'Terran' :D

On topic, I think the article has very useful and interesting information, especially concerning the various strains of the basic demons of DOOM.

I like this. =) I'm half way through it and already am on one of my artistic moods. Now I feel like sketching some realistic versions of the demons... DeviantArt here I come!

One more update, this time explaining the phenomenon of "ghost" monsters.

I may eventually add a separate section documenting some of my own monster ideas and those of others, but for now I've covered all the "official" Doom creatures. :)

And I'm glad this thing helped to inspire others too.

Reading about your monster ideas would probably be inspirational too :) heh, maybe you could become known as the Jaque Costeau (no idea how it's spelled) of Doom...and do something like this for peoples' mods 'n' stuff :)

Ubik said:

One more update, this time explaining the phenomenon of "ghost"

Haha! Very nice explanation for the ghosts. I remember back in the day talking with my brother trying to come up with creative reasons why some of Doom's quirks existed. This is one of the best I've heard. :)

Very Nice Writing all the way through, I especially like that bit about the Barthodemon (spelling?), some sweet Ideas, infact some of the best I've read on the internet, And trust me, I've read all the doom monster log... things...

Dron said:

This reminds me of the monster info at doom2.net

There was some inspiration from that, I'll admit. :) But I wanted to do profiles that had more general information, especially about Hell's social structure, instead of just straightforward scientific surveys. And most of my ideas about the Doom monsters differ from those profiles. :)

Okay, I have more ideas, but I'd like some feedback from the rest of you on what you'd like to see next, if anything. Currently I'm considering:

-Some of the enemies known so far from Doom3. I already have ideas and such for the Hell Knight ("Bruiser"), Demon ("Bulldog") and Imp (Feral Imp), but I'm wondering whether people think it inappropriate for me to "jump the gun" on monsters that have thus far only been seen in the alpha and preview screens.
-The enemy concepts I came up with in a thread a month or two ago (can't find the thread, alas). They're here if you're interested in checking them out again.
-Enemies from some of the TCs out there, in which case I'd like people to point out TCs that have good monster alters or replacements in them.

If I write these "secondary" monster profiles, the whole thing will be divided into "Hellspawn encountered during the original Portal Incursions," and "Hellspawn encountered during later exploratory expeditions," to clarify the distinction between official and unofficial monsters.

Any feedback along these lines will be greatly appreciated.

Ubik said:

-Enemies from some of the TCs out there, in which case I'd like people to point out TCs that have good monster alters or replacements in them.

You could look into SkullTag's monsters, and I think S.T.R.A.I.N. had some that might interest you as well.

Interesting stuff, by the way.

yeah STRAIN had some good modifications

Hm, i remember having a dream about the archviles and revenants thing, except rather than taking them apart, they where standing there "sucking" bones and a few bits of flesh and mechanical parts off the walls telepathically, which then formed into revenants

Ubik said:

-Some of the enemies known so far from Doom3. I already have ideas and such for the Hell Knight ("Bruiser"), Demon ("Bulldog") and Imp (Feral Imp), but I'm wondering whether people think it inappropriate for me to "jump the gun" on monsters that have thus far only been seen in the alpha and preview screens.

Well, I wouldn't call it jumping the gun. It would be very interesting to see how you picture the upcoming demons featured in Doom 3.

deathbringer said:

Hm, i remember having a dream about the archviles and revenants thing, except rather than taking them apart, they where standing there "sucking" bones and a few bits of flesh and mechanical parts off the walls telepathically, which then formed into revenants

Now THAT sounds cool. :)

And I won't be making separate profile for the Skulltag enemies, as most of them fit as "variants" of the basic monsters.... although I might alter the profiles to mention them as variants of the same genus.

I've played parts of STRAIN, but from what I saw the newer monsters didn't really interest me in terms of profiles.

I'll get started on the Doom3 Imp, Demon and Hell Knight profiles soon.

ANOTHER UPDATE:

-Wrote the Doom3 Imp, Demon and Hell Knight profiles, under new names in the post-Portal Incursion section.
-Wrote a profile for the "Observer" (the eye-in-the-green-sigil decoration), partially inspired by Cyb.
-Expanded upon the former humans section.
-Included the Belphegor (from Skulltag) in the Baron/HK variant section.
-Included deathbringer's Revenant idea in the Revenant profile. ;) Thanks dude.
-Made some grammatical corrections.

Hehe, you could also include some monsters from my "Ultimate hell" project if you want, the coolest ones are:

Super imp: a yellow imp which has twice the 'health' of the normal one, and throws cacodemon fireballs

Dark disciple: A dark shadow wearing a cloak emblazoned with evil symbols, it can fly silently and throw powerful purple fireballs

Dark sorcerer: also wearing a cloak, it has no visible face but reptillian red feet and a tail poke out of the bottom, it is able to throw three purple fireballs at once, and create dark disciples, it is half as strong as a cyberdemon, but with this extra strength it loses the ability of flight

Watchman: A hellknight-like creature which lacks 'real' rank, it throws balls of normal fire (ie the orange burning stuff), and is half as strong as a hellknight, in my mod it is generally used as a 'gaurd' for things such as chainguns or backpacks, where a hellknight would be too big a monster to justify the battle

Lord of hell: The next rank up from the baron, it is dark grey in colour, and throws balls of burning tar which do as much damage as rockets (but no splash damage) and which leave choking smoke behind them

Storm demon: A green cyberdemon (same size and strength) which lives in swampy and wet areas, it can summon various weather-related effects including a rain of fire, a tornado made of fire, or lightning bolts which strike enemies (in the wad it only uses the lightning though..)

Super revenant: Its black and burnt-looking, but it has two evil glowing red eyes, and shoots two missiles at once, its also twice as strong

Colossus: Twice as big, twice as strong, and shoots two rockets at once, its a super-cyberdemon!

And some other ideas i had....

Thane of hell: A creature in between the baron of hell and hellknight, it throws red fireballs which home in and do similar damage to those of revenants (because you belive that knights are 'upgraded' into barons, you could say something about "this is what knights are turned into if they arent deemed worthy of being upgraded straight to a baron")

King of hell: A huge red-and-brown baron of hell creature which is slighyly bigger than the cyberdemon, it throws a huge rain of around 30 burning tar projectiles (the same as those used by the lord of hell), one of which is usually enough to kill you, it is truly a creature to be feared

Ice revenant: These occupy the frozen circle of hell where satan resides, they are similar to the super revenant, but light blue in colour, and they shoot twin "icicle" missiles which can freeze enemies on the spot, they then punch them and shatter them to pecies

Make of those what you will..

Damn, I was going to do this. I kept wanting to but I kept putting it off.

/me shoots himself for being a lazy ass

Relica Religia said:

Was this done as a cross-reference to the doom2.net moster guides?

No, I already addressed that issue about halfway through the thread.