Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BattleCat

Are the master levels worth anything ?

I picked up a copy of the master levels a couple of years ago for $1.2 because it had a neat poster in it. I've never bothered trying the wads that game with it, so I'm wondering if i should get the cd, dust it off, and kill some stuff (ie. are the wads any good ?) ...

They're OK. Some are a bit mediocre (though not bad), and others are pretty good (or very good). They were made by some of the best mappers from the community at the time (1995). Some of these guys were TeamTNT or Team Eternal members, and some went on to get jobs in the gaming industry.

Note that the Master Levels (20 wads specially made for that product) should not be confused with "Maximum Doom", which is also on the CD - that is a ramshackle shovelware collection of random wads from the web (about 2000 of them), often with important files missing.

Most of the levels on the cd is fine, except tim willits. They are just pieces of garbage shit.

Job said:

Torn is the anti-Tim.

Uhm, no. But his doom levels wasn't anything to be proud of. The only one of his I really like is e4m9. The rest of them is pure garbage, imo.

I've just played Willits's "Master Levels" (Attack.wad and Canyon.wad) again. I think they're certainly below the level of most of the other ones. Attack.wad is very forgettable, though Canyon.wad isn't too bad IMO - indeed I remember quite enjoying it when I first played it. The architecture is a bit random, but there are some fun areas.

Attack and Canonyon are some of the levels I remember best off of the PSX Final Doom.

Back when master levels came out I sat there and played through the whole thing during summer break. I even played all the levels in the maximum directory, and boy was that a pain. Lots of thoes levels are one big room stuffed full of guys ect, you can imagine how great it was. :\
But there was the choice few that made it all worth while...!
Oh, it came with a cool poster too! (which hangs on my wall to this day)

Didn't Willits make most levels of E4? Well, if so, I think they are pretty good enough that a lot of people put E4 second in their favorite Doom episode list.

Catwalk I found to be really memorable. Purely for the catwalk segment, where the resolution was so low you couldn't see the enemies in the distance properly and just had to run across the 'walk, with hails of fireballs streaming past you at either side.

I have the master levels but I don't think I ever played through them all. As I recall, they're not bad. Probably better than what you would get if you took a random pick of 20 levels off the archive.

I actually played through all of the Maximum Doom 1 levels. One day I'll do all of Doom 2. One day. There were a couple of really good ones that aren't in the archives. E1M1SAS, for one.

999cop said:

Didn't Willits make most levels of E4? Well, if so, I think they are pretty good enough that a lot of people put E4 second in their favorite Doom episode list.

Uhm, he only did e4m5 and e4m9, so no.
And iirc his wife did the basic design of e4m5.

Tim Willits, John Romero, American McGee and Shawn Green all did two levels each, whilst John Anderson did one. Willits' wife (Theresa Chasar) did indeed co-author E4M5 ;).