Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Infinite Ammunition

Martial arts

Whoo, first topic of mine in a while. Amazing! Anyway, felt like I'd see if any of you lot get off your asses once in a while and go learn how to kick other people's asses Asian oldskool style while you're at it, though I doubt this topic will get off the ground :P

Me? I've recently started tang soo do.

I was a brown-white belt in karate. But they wanted about a hundred and thrity quid off me to sit my first dan black belt, so that went adios.

I don't know how many kata or shit I could remember now though. This was a good three years ago.

DJ_Haruko said:

I don't see where that's the point of martial arts.

Certainly not the purpose, but obviously a possibility, and something the practitioner becomes capable of for sure. :D Well, if you're good, you train it well, build the reactions in... study many styles so you have a broad technical repetoire and come to be able to learn the purpose of new techniques simply by observing...

Originally the martial arts introduced to the Chinese were a teaching tool for Buddhism, but they DID come in very handy in defending the (which? I forget) temple.

dn: Try other styles. Keep learning and it'll serve you well. Keep training what you know, too.

that tang-soo-do site said:

This ancient form of martial art is known for having the most effective training methods for self-discipline, self-confidence, physical fitness, stress management and the ultimate form of self-defense techniques. We are proud to announce that 35% of our total membership includes women, children and older adult students.

My respect for the person who wrote that has just declined. He's trying to sell the style based on its diversity. "Join us, we have women and children and a handful of black people!" I could understand something like "Our training regimen can be custom-tailored to fit your specific physical needs, regardless of age or gender." Also, I'm sick of hearing "OMG OUR STYLE SI TEH BEST!!" On the local level at least, I have been able to observe many shortcomings in most styles practiced here, where in another style that particular shortcoming was not present. Bullshit, I say.

Ultraviolet said:

but obviously a side-effect

Rather a possibility. If you really can't get into the martial arts philosophy, then, yes, sadly, it becomes a side-effect.

Julian said:

Rather a possibility. If you really can't get into the martial arts philosophy, then, yes, sadly, it becomes a side-effect.

Misphrasing on my part. Know that I do not go out looking to kick the shit out of people or even invite the possibility of being confronted physically. More than likely I'd leave even if I thought the other guy had no chance.

EDIT: And I heavily edited my last post after you posted that.

boris said:

The point in martial arts is to make cool movies with it.

"Canned Movie - Just add matrix effect"

Actually I really don't see a need for it as we can already find ways to protect ourselves.. To impress people, I guess.. "OMG you kicked that robber's ass! You rule!"

Destroyer said:

Actually I really don't see a need for it as we can already find ways to protect ourselves...

You let me know how that works out for you next time you forgot to carry a knife or gun and are up against some experienced street fighter who is faster and stronger than you and has better reflexes and possibly a knife.

Tobe: All technique is subject to refinement.

Destroyer said:

"Canned Movie - Just add matrix effect"

I was actually thinking of those old cool Jackie Chan or Jet Li movies.

I practice the old Scotish martial art style called Fuk-Yoo. It mainly consists of headbutting the other guy then kicking him a lot when he is on the floor.

boris said:

I was actually thinking of those old cool Jackie Chan or Jet Li movies.

Not only are they masters of the arts, but are great people in real life.

Infinite Ammunition said:

Can you do badass kicks and chops and throws with it?

Yes, at the end you'll have no limbs left though.