Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gokuma

Possible idea for running under Win XP

Install Dos 6.22 or some Win 9X or Linux with good dos/windows emulation through Virtual PC.

Will that work?

I still don't intend to put Win XP on my own computer. I just thought I'd throw the idea out there. I saw someone had Debian Linux installed through Virtual PC and it's just like running another computer, except Win XP is running in the background.

yea that would really be the only way to get doom2.exe to work.

however if u use XP i think it is time to FORGET about doom(2).exe or DOS games at the moment. most emulators use way to many resources to even run well.

a partition and dos installation may work if you can get drivers for sound, or sound emulation drivers.

linux runs great. it has a number of DOS emulations. you can even use the original DOS command.com file and system files if you choose. however has some issues with older games like keen4 or games like quake. however you can tweak it to work with these games. Doom has always ran fine for me with the default installation of DOSemu. Also wine works for windows based games.

for now, USE A DAMN PORT!!! i mean what do some of you people have aginst ports? if you dont like a new feature dont use it, its that simple. Doom(2).exe will NOT work in win2000/XP, if it does work it will not be very well. winXP only has sb-8 DOS sound

Sephiroth said:

for now, USE A DAMN PORT!!! i mean what do some of you people have aginst ports?

Look in the 'resolution' thread and think about the warped reasoning of the traditionalists. I must admit that I don't get it at all...

truth is you can use the 320x240 res in most ports.

some ports do change behavior os monsters, example boom will allow monsters to back off, however in other ports monster AI is left un touched.

simply put
either dont use windows2000/XP or dont use doom2.exe.
windowsXP/2000 is based on NT not DOS like windows95 thru winME were. so DOS still chances are will not work, or work correctly.

as i siad before most emulators use too many resources, poor programming, or are too buggy. so simply use a port or downgrade to windows98.

personaly i run linux 95% of the time. the emulators for linux are far better and work almost flawlessly. however linux is not for everyone. it is different than windows and you will need to learn it to get good at it (ok that is true about any OS).

doom.exe runs great in linux with full sound and everything. however i use prboom and zdoom most of the time.

Graf Zahl said:

Look in the 'resolution' thread and think about the warped reasoning of the traditionalists. I must admit that I don't get it at all...

Just like I don't get at all how could someone have an eye strain because of low resolutions.

dr_st said:

Just like I don't get at all how could someone have an eye strain because of low resolutions.

Simple: You have to look much harder to recognize stuff. Your eyes try to focus but the picture never really gets sharp. High resolutions are much more relaxing for the eyes.

insertwackynamehere said:

I don't get it. Doom works fine for me in XP, and always has. Am I missing something? Quake doesn't though. Is there a way Quake could work?

Doom works OK for me in XP if I use the PC speaker for sound FX, and it helps to turn music off (though it isn't too bad if I leave it on).

As for Quake, you could try GLQuake. I can't remember if the original DOS version of Quake refused to work for me at all, or if I just preferred the GL version. BTW, Quake demos work OK with GLQuake, so you can watch qdqwav, etc., using it.

Graf Zahl said:

Simple: You have to look much harder to recognize stuff. Your eyes try to focus but the picture never really gets sharp. High resolutions are much more relaxing for the eyes.

Tough luck for you, pal.

dr_st said:

Tough luck for you, pal.

Why should I torture myself if it isn't necessary?
It's not that I wouldn't play a 320x200 game. For example I finally got Strife and I really can't wait to play it. It's a shame that I have to jump through hoops to get it to run at all and the low resolution probably means I'll take a lot of breaks...

Gokuma said:

Install Dos 6.22 or some Win 9X or Linux with good dos/windows emulation through Virtual PC.

Will that work?

It will be way too slow to be playable and certainly a lot more headache to operate than a dual-boot setup.