Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

classic doom

well many of you ask about running doom in windows XP. well you just really cant. but i have a better solution for you

make a classic system. chances are you have an extra $40, if not stop smoking for 2 weeks or dont buy that bag of grass.

simply put you can buy whole 486 systesm for around $25 and a few extra parts for another $15

i still find RAM, CPU and mainboard 486 combos for about $5-$10. i snagged a $10 setup that had, 32Mb RAM, 100Mhz 486DX, 4MB VESA video card, full VESA I/O card and sbAWE 32 sound card. i got an old desktop style case for $8 and a 200watt AT powersupply for $5. a old monitor for $15 that came with speakers, keybaord and mouse.

the only thing i had extra was a 4GB hard drive, a floppy and a 8X CD-ROM drive. i installed DOS 6.22 on it and windows 3.11. this is my classic computer. i mainly play old games like keen1-6, Rott, some duke3d and doom. i also love playing with old setups, which was the main reason i made it.

i also over clocked it to 120Mhz and a friend modified the hell out of the main board. it will run games that need a p100. games like tombraider, quake and tombraider II run fast.
so just do it. i am sure you have some extra cash and maybe even parts. hell maybe the whole damn things is already built.

I'm thinking of making myself a nice classic machine to run all those old games of mine that don't run in XP. Blood, Doom, Wolf3D, Quake, Diablo, Commander Keen, etc. etc.

And I do happen to have some extra money on hand. I now have something to do.

Thanks for the idea, Sephiroth!

Why is Diablo on that list?
It works fine with me.

EDIT: oh and if you have the Quake CD, it comes with some windowsbased game executable and runs fine, with sound and all.

EarthQuake said:

Why is Diablo on that list?
It works fine with me.

EDIT: oh and if you have the Quake CD, it comes with some windowsbased game executable and runs fine, with sound and all.

Diablo no worky on my machine for some reason. Diablo II does, but not good ol' number one. And thanks for that tip on that Quake exe. I never thought of checking for something like that.

Every gaming network needs a dated computer on it to play the old games. We have a pentium 166MHz and a 200MHZ for old games.
But I still cant go wrong with Legacy and ZDooM!!!

it is surpriseing what can be run a 486.
streaming audio works and sounds good, provided you have the math co-processor. the 486SX lacks that.
windows 95/98 will run good too. just dont clutter it up. linux is great.

quake, tombraider ( I & II), duke3d, quake II and many other games can be run on a 486 100, or 120Mhz. quake II videos dont work and the game is sluggish. quake runs smoothly except in large open areas. duke3d runs slow.

for even more old school fun i get out either my apple IIe or my tandy 286. played a bit with the apple last night. the first computer i had ever used was an apple IIe, fallowed by the tandy 8088 or 8086 version and another 286.

I still think that a Pentium is the ideal CPU for old games. Very few games that run on 486 fail on a Pentium (speed issues can be handled with slowdown programs), but you can get as high as 200Mhz, which is enough to play almost every DOS game ever released on max capabilities.

quake works only if the 486 is a 486DX, will not work on a 486SX or a 386 for that matter.
the 486DX has a built in math co-processor. very important.

the 486SX lacks this part. at the time it was done to offer a 486 that was a bit cheaper.

the 386 lacks it al together, however i dont recall the difference between a 386DX or 386SX. i tink it may have been something with the BUS

yea the pentiums are better to use. however around here i dont see them as much. also i have a ton of 486 stuff so i'll use that up first. also ones with MMX tend to get very hot

Like, what exact programs do I have to use in order to get Quake to work on Windows XP? I have the Quake CD, but I have no clue what programs to download/use to get Quake to work. I have no idea what this 486 stuff is, as I'm no programmer or anything =\ Sorry for not understanding, but I'm still totally fogged o_O

~Tony

Sephiroth said:

also ones with MMX tend to get very hot

Heh, I had a 486DX2/80 for 4.5 years, and the last 2.5 years its CPU cooler wasn't working. But Win95 lived with it so I didn't even bother to replace it :)

I dual-boot into 95 for this (actually triple-boot: SuSE Linux, XP, 95 :-P)

EDIT: Wait, it's a dual boot of XP and Linux. I have a machine with 95 hooked up to a KVM. Even better! 1 moniter, mouse, and keyboard, and I use the switchbox to near immediatly switch between my two comps. I'm an idiot for forgtting that :-P

yea i would get a switch box, but i have usb and PS/2 mouse and AT standard 486.

i dual boot windows 2000 and suse linux. however thinking of wipeing out the windows drive and useing it for something else.

freedos works great instead of useing MS-DOS, however has issues with win3.11 and some programs. freedos does have extra features and will work with many sound drivers and even better many drivers for new cards have been written. i hope that someone makes a X port for freeDOS (would be a bit of a challenge)

Lord of the Noobs said:

Um, how EXACTLY do you get Quake to work???

~Tony

Get a Quake source port of some kind. I thought Telejuano or how it's spelled was pretty good, purdy graffix lolol.

boris said:

Or you could tell doom.exe to fuck off and use a source port.

Please read the original post, see what the thread is about and engage your brain before clicking on that "Submit" button.

Never_Again said:

Please read the original post, see what the thread is about and engage your brain before clicking on that "Submit" button.

Boris read the original post, apparently you didn't.

Lord of the Noobs said:

Am I the only guy in this thread who DOESN'T smoke...?

~Tony

I don't smoke