Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fano++64k

Zdoom Hi-res support ?

Recommended Posts

uhh, have you even bothered trying it? ZDoom can use whatever resolution your video card, monitor, and DirectX can handle.

Unless you're talking high-resolution textures, which it doesn't support.

Share this post


Link to post

Oops, what I meant was it doesn't support the current high-resolution texture packs floating around, not that it doesn't support scaling of graphics.

Share this post


Link to post
Bloodshedder said:

uhh, have you even bothered trying it? ZDoom can use whatever resolution your video card, monitor, and DirectX can handle.

Unless you're talking high-resolution textures, which it doesn't support.


It does support hi-res textures but not in the format of the available texture packs.

Share this post


Link to post

Oki,so it has it,thx.In which way is it implemented ? graphical externals files (as DooMsday) or in specials lumps in a WAD ?

Share this post


Link to post
Fano++64k said:

Oki,so it has it,thx.In which way is it implemented ? graphical externals files (as DooMsday) or in specials lumps in a WAD ?



Special entries in the texture definitions. So it's quite a bit of work to do a ZDoom hi-res texture WAD.

Share this post


Link to post

Do you know where i can find doc about this, there are severals version of Zdoom (2.0 & gl) and i'm a newbie with it.I'm a little bit lost...

Share this post


Link to post
Graf Zahl said:

Special entries in the texture definitions. So it's quite a bit of work to do a ZDoom hi-res texture WAD.

Couldn't converting them be automated with some script?

Share this post


Link to post
Graf Zahl said:

It does support hi-res textures but not in the format of the available texture packs.

...that's exactly what I said in the post above yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Fano++64k said:

Do you know where i can find doc about this, there are severals version of Zdoom (2.0 & gl) and i'm a newbie with it.I'm a little bit lost...

ZDoomGL does in fact support the hi-resolution texture packs available for JDoom...

Share this post


Link to post
Graf Zahl said:

Special entries in the texture definitions. So it's quite a bit of
work to do a ZDoom hi-res texture WAD.

It's just as easy to make DeePsea (supported by ZDOOM, ZDOOMGL and RISEN3D) hi-res textures as it is regular textures. The only difference is that you set the "scaling" factor for X and Y. Even that is optional and if not set you just end up with HUGE textures - which is desired in some cases.

IOW, the format is just an extension of the DOOM format, hence all programs will recognize them, although not all programs will display them properly:)

The simplest way is just to use the DeePsea F7 - AUTO Textures from BMPS (works for hi-res and regular texture sizes) and then just go into F7 - TEXTUREx Name Edit and go through and set the Xscale, Yscale. Pretty quick and easy. Similarly all the entries can be set to use WORLD Units with just one click so the offsets work for editors that are not 100% aware of the differences.

The end result is easy to use for editing since all level editors will see the textures (vs external formats).

(Btw, somebody did that already - only thing is you do a mass conversion on the raw image format to BMP, but that's pretty easy with for example PSP)

Share this post


Link to post

deep said:

...use Deepsea...


Gasp! A deep post that plugs Deepsea! I did not see that coming. :) *returns deeps leg which just came off while he was pulling it*

Heh, anywho, Zdoom also supports hi-res sprites, but very little people actually use it *well* (plenty of wads that have hi-res stuff use badly captured 3d models. Not saying it's a bad way to do it or that whom ever did it was bad at modeling, just that they really should have taken more time making it actually worth hi-resing the model, when it would look better at a lower res). I myself am working on hi-resing the origional doom sprites, but it ain't easy at all, especially since I can't seem to get the same artistic 'touch' I had before. :/ I've had to scrap my origional work and start over a few times already. Hi-res is a great tool, too bad it's used for evil way too much. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Bloodshedder said:

Oops, what I meant was it doesn't support the current high-resolution texture packs floating around, not that it doesn't support scaling of graphics.


It also suppost hires sprites, too.

(points at mouse's The Chosen)

Share this post


Link to post
DemonDemon said:

Gasp! A deep post that plugs Deepsea! I did not see that coming. :) *returns deeps leg which just came off while he was pulling it*

LOL - My leg is fine thank you :)

Since DeePsea invented that hi-res format (and showed Randy how to use it - it's about 3-4 lines of extra code) what did you want me to say eh? The original comment made was incorrect, nothing more.

FYI, for hi-res sprites (or textures with holes), XWE still has the column bug, but otherwise can do hi-res textures too.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×