Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ShadowRunner

Deep Water Hom effect in vanilla!

I was playing alien vendetta and saw imps in a high raised nukage.At first i thought it was the deh but then looked in Doombuilder.The backside of the Raised up Cover had no textures leading to a hom effect of causing the Nuke flat to raise up without seeing a hom.

So i decided to try this out making it look like a fountain.
Turns out it works.

Has anyone besides me got any pics of your hom effects or deep water hom effects in vanilla editing?

Play Alien vendetta level 1.Go down the stairs till you see the imps in the Nukage brick hold thingy.Go in it.
Now look in a editor at the how they did it.
Thats what i did and its a great effect for fountains.

I know what you mean. This is a fairly simple effect that tricks the engine into drawing the flat over a pit without lower side textures. I've heard the same thing can be done for platforms, but whenever I try, i get HOM :-P Also, the deep water can't go below -64 in height (although I remmeber seeing a wad which made a fake floor you could go through. It also won't work in jDoom, because jDoom draws the flats over missing textures.

EDIT: w00t! 1200 posts!

ShadowRunner said:

got any links?

No, but amazingly enough the main page of Doomworld does.

Mordeth said:

Welcome to 1995 :) Go to our tutorials section, and look up Hykkelbjerg's example level.

Hykkelbjerg? Hykkelbjerg's completely unreadable Notepad tutorials? Or were those by someone else?

Echarin said:
Hykkelbjerg? Hykkelbjerg's completely unreadable Notepad tutorials? Or were those by someone else?

Hykkelbjerg's Editing Tutorials used to be hosted at a University site, but got taken down a few years ago. The zip file here contains whatever material got rescued, and only from his 'special tricks' section. It includes the html files but mostly without pictures, and the example level(s).

I just had the most brilliant idea. Let's put Guiness in a bottle!

Brilliant!

Um, yeah, this trick is kinda...old. But with ZDoom, you can get 'true' deep water, where if you go below the waterline, you go 'underwater'. You don't even need scripting for basic underwater areas, just a dummy sector and a specific line type.

AlexMax said:
But with ZDoom, you can get 'true' deep water, where if you go below the waterline, you go 'underwater'.

This "true" deep water was introduced by Boom, and is available for every port based on it or that has compatability for it.

Mordeth said:

This "true" deep water was introduced by Boom, and is available for every port based on it or that has compatability for it.

But in ZDoom you can actually swim in it. ;-)

Graf Zahl said:

But in ZDoom you can actually swim in it. ;)

Fixed (NOSES ARE A WASTE OF BANDWIDTH)

I was refering to deep water preiod. I map primarily for ZDaemon, and ZDaemon doesn't handle swimmable water too well (lags the netcode pretty badly) Still, I was unaware that it was first introduced with BOOM.

(As a side note, I prefer to do deep water coloring with colormaps, because colored sectors make my FPS plummet.)

AlexMax said:
(As a side note, I prefer to do deep water coloring with colormaps, because colored sectors make my FPS plummet.)

I was under the impression that this load lag only happens once, during initialisation?

Mordeth said:

I was under the impression that this load lag only happens once, during initialisation?

If they are scripted it's all initialised at the start, it can lag if it's triggered by a linedef.

Szymanski said:
If they are scripted it's all initialised at the start, it can lag if it's triggered by a linedef.

So, trigger it during start-up... problem solved.

Mordeth said:

You mean it isn't normal on lower end machines? For some odd reason, whather it be in Skulltag, ZDaemon or ZDoom, when I am looking at a asector that has colored lighting, my fps goes down to about 10-20 fps, very choppy. The second CTF map in Skulltag is pretty bad on my system.

Relevent system specs: Pentium 3 500, 96megs of RAM, Windows 2000. running ZDoom at 640x480.

Yes, that's abnormal. I don't have such problems on my machine (300 megahertz). Try getting more RAM (how the hell are you getting by with 96 megs?) and make sure you've updated DirectX (Windows Update should have it).

EDIT: Also clean up spyware, unneeded startup items, unneeded services, etc...