Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Lord of the Rings: Luck be a Lady Tonight

Peter Jackson made quite the haul with "The Return of the King", winning 11 academy awards. I suppose he deserves them. Either way, he sure made a lot of money in the box office tally.

The Oscars suck. Bill Murray deserved that Oscar, not Sean Penn. LOTR deserved SOME Oscars, but certainly not 11. The Acadamy has lost their credibility a long time ago.

Well if ol' PJ wasn't already a smug, self-centered, oh-so-full-of-himself elitist prick before, then he most certainly is now.

Lost in Tranlsation deserved approximately no Oscars. It tried to be all clever and touching and ended up being slow and... crap.

Even Last Samurai was better :o

Triplets of Belleville should have won for best animated picture... it kicks the ass of anything Pixar has made.

Psyonisis said:

Triplets of Belleville should have won for best animated picture... it kicks the ass of anything Pixar has made.

haha me and my friend were talkin about that today and we were like "yea there was Finding Nemo, Brother Bear, and that random ass whatever movie" "where the hell did that come from hahaha"

Ralph Bakshi has the gun up to his head as we speak.

The Onion: Have you been paying attention to the hype over Peter Jackson's new version of Lord Of The Rings?

Ralph Bakshi: No, not really.

O: Are you interested in seeing what he does with it?

RB: Why would I be?

O: Because your version has been the definitive one for 20 years, and this is the first new adaptation since your version.

RB: It's hard for me to talk about, for reasons I'm not going to get involved in.

O: Do you plan to see it?

RB: Sure.

O: Do you think it'll work as a live-action movie?

RB: I have no idea. I've always seen it as animation. I really don't know what's happening with the live-action version. I don't understand it at all. Do I wish it to be a good movie? Absolutely.

O: What do you mean, you can't understand it? Just the decision to make it live-action?

RB: I'm not going to go into this. You've got to read between the lines. I'm sorry. I mean, I don't know the director. I have no idea what they're doing. I wasn't consulted. Certainly I love The Rings very much, and hope that my version stands up.

A movie had damn well better win 11 fucking academy awards with a budget like the one ROTK had.

Personally I prefer when something far more indie wins. I agree with ROTK's Oscars for best sound editing, makeup, etc, but I think it's pretty sad that it got Best Picture and Best Director. Although I haven't seen much of what came out in 2003 so I guess I can't complain too much.

DooMBoy said:

Well if ol' PJ wasn't already a smug, self-centered, oh-so-full-of-himself elitist prick before, then he most certainly is now.

actually he's a fat, dirty guy from new zealand who rarely wears shoes or clothes that don't look like they're seven years old

the awards given to rotk though were really also given to the two previous movies, which reaped only a few awards each (visual fx and costumes etc) and largely in recognition of Jackson's enormous effort in putting what amounts to a gigantic book into nine or so hours of film. If you think seven years of toil and hard work (and yes he made a boatload of money, but that hardly takes away from the work) should not beget an oscar when most films take a year or less to throw together (Lost in Translation, by comparison, took like 2 weeks to film, and I imagine another month or so of editing after that), then I don't know what does.

really though in the end it doesn't make any difference, because it's all awards for people doing their jobs right, and hollywood is completly insane, but whatever, I liked the lotr movies and I'm glad this one won 11 oscars, so suck it down bitches.

sargebaldy said:

I think it's pretty sad that it got... Best Director.

Oh come on sarge, you can't be serious? Peter's acomplishments completely run circles around those of the other nominees. He shot and directed three seriously complex movies at the same time, often using advanced communications systems to direct in up to four locations at once. It's an acomplishment which has no equal in my knowledge.

Like it or hate it for reasons of personal taste or principals, only a fool would deny the films are a massive and impressive accomplishment, not just for one of my fellow New Zealanders but for anybody anywhere, that truely deserves the praise it has received.

Personally, I don't really care much about the Oscars, or any award show. All that matters at the end of the day is the number of asses on seats.

Cyb said:

really though in the end it doesn't make any difference, because it's all awards for people doing their jobs right, and hollywood is completly insane, but whatever, I liked the lotr movies and I'm glad this one won 11 oscars, so suck it down bitches.

I concur :)

Disorder said:

The Oscars suck. Bill Murray deserved that Oscar, not Sean Penn. LOTR deserved SOME Oscars, but certainly not 11. The Acadamy has lost their credibility a long time ago.

With every post in here from people denying the enormous accomplishment the LOTR movies and especially ROTK represent, their credibility drops far more than the Academy's own has dropped through the 76 years the Oscars have been presented.

Luke be a Jedi tonight!
Luke be a Jedi tonight!
Don't wait for Yoda as we pour our guests a soda!
Luke, be a jedi, tonight!

Heh, I'm in the orchestra for my schools Guys And Dolls performance, so seeing this thread was weird. For a second I thought I was in school :-P

The academy gave only a few Oscars each to FOTR and TTT, then acknowledged the greatness of the trilogy as a whole (or rather, pleased the crowd *cough cough*) by throwing everything on ROTK. This annoys me somwhat, because ROTK isn't the best of the trilogy and not by a long shot one of the greatest movies ever made. I wouldn't deny the enormous accomplishment of the trilogy though.

The visual effects Oscar annoys me, too. We'll all be laughing at these movies' blatantly CGI creatures ten or twenty years from now. Gollum might be a technical innovation, but I'm more concerned about how everything fits together and gives a convincing impression.

(or rather, pleased the crowd *cough cough*)

Right, so the millions (billions?) of people who love the film are wrong, and you're right? Get over yourself. You may not have been impressed but a lot of people were. Britney Spears and her ilk sell loads of records. I think they suck, but I don't have my head so far up my ass as to deny they're not good at what they do, even if I don't like what they do. The cold hard facts and figures speak for themselves.

God, I must be having a bad day, I'm trying to have a rational conversation with Fredrik.

/me smacks forehead

JoelMurdoch said:

Right, so the millions (billions?) of people who love the film are wrong, and you're right?

I'm right in my view, they're right in their view. I did not enjoy these movies to the degree that I found the prizes justified, and in the context of this, what I really meant with that statement is that the Academy Awards do not reflect my immensely sophisticated personal tastes. Others may think differently, and they can go ahead and do so for all I care. No issue here, I'm just stating my personal opinion and was obviously speaking from a subjective point of view. Excuses for omitting the disclaimer.

Alternate rebuttal: YHBT. YHL. HAND.

hehe I think fredrik needs his authorized troll title back :P

Things like the oscars really annoy me. A bunch of overpaid people sitting around congratulating each other on how wonderful they are. It's just mutual masturbation. But that's the mainstream entertainment business for you. Just look at the credits list at the end of a film or TV program, do we really to know who all these people are? When I by a loaf of bread it doesn't come in pakaging listing all the people who worked in the bakery, etc. And how much money is spent on this nonsense? I'm sure all the homeless people sleep a lot better at night in their cardboard boxes knowing that vast sums of money have been spent like this. Blah, blah, rant, rant, shut up Russell!

Russell_P said:

Things like the oscars really annoy me. A bunch of overpaid people sitting around congratulating each other on how wonderful they are. It's just mutual masturbation. But that's the mainstream entertainment business for you. Just look at the credits list at the end of a film or TV program, do we really to know who all these people are? When I by a loaf of bread it doesn't come in pakaging listing all the people who worked in the bakery, etc. And how much money is spent on this nonsense? I'm sure all the homeless people sleep a lot better at night in their cardboard boxes knowing that vast sums of money have been spent like this. Blah, blah, rant, rant, shut up Russell!

pfft homeless people aren't entertaining

and nobody is making billions of dollars off an award-winning loaf of bread either!!

sorry, but the ROTK was the weakest movie in the trilogy by far.

If the academy felt that Jackson deserved an oscar for the work he put into The Fellowship / Two Towers then they should have given him the fucking oscars at the time.

And I don't know about you, but when I hear the word 'director' I think of somebody who uses the camera to compose the shot, an artist if you will. Jackson is no artist, he had seven assistant directors shooting the scenes in conjunction with him. Christ, the most famous scene in the Two Towers (the Gollum / Smeagol monologue) was shot by his fucking wife.

In sort, if there was an award for 'Best Administrator' then Jackson should get it. Anything else is bullshit.

darknation said:

Christ, the most famous scene in the Two Towers (the Gollum / Smeagol monologue)

Huh? You're kidding right? How can that be more memorable than the final battle? Or the treant attack on the one tower....

However, I agree with everything else you said though.

Strip away the spectacle of the huge battles and sfx from the LOTR movies and you're left with a decent fairy-tale. I don't think it was all that engaging, it was hard to give a shit about any of the characters. Common, you can't tell me you didn't wanna bitch-slap Frodo or Sam at some point. They didn't deserve Best Picture IMO.

well, let's face it the competition against LOTR this year wasnt that great was it? i'm a bit miffed City Of God didnt get the foreign-language oscar. but aside from that any and all "lost in translation" action was great as Sofia's one hot chick IMO!

And the winner for best foriegn film, actress, actor, supporting actress, supporting actor, animated film, and song is . . .

"Huh, somehow they are all Lord of the Rings..."

When they announced the nominees for best actress and said "The oscar goes to:" I seriously thought somehow they'd say LotR. My reaction was "If LotR gets another fucking Oscar, I am going to shit my pants and fling it at the TV like an enraged monkey." I guess its good for my TV and general smell of my room that I did not follow through on these promises. Oh yeah and that fat twat's comments about his parents. They've definately got three upper hands on most of us: they were fortunate enough to die before he had the chance to be subject them to these monstrous yawnathons with their terrible effects and shitty acting.

Johnny Depp should have been best actor, Charlize Theron was the only saving grace about the oscars IMO.

Strip away the spectacle of the huge battles and sfx from the LOTR movies and you're left with a decent fairy-tale. I don't think it was all that engaging, it was hard to give a shit about any of the characters. Common, you can't tell me you didn't wanna bitch-slap Frodo or Sam at some point. They didn't deserve Best Picture IMO.

Couldn't have said it better.

LOTR was an okay movie, but like Darknation said, Peter Jackson is a pretty bad director, but that's just going off of LOTR. I've never seen his other material. Really, the movie is pretty much cut-and-paste Hollywood stuff. It's the pop music of the movie world. But there didn't seem to be any other good movies out there last year anyway, so perhaps it did deserve those. Honestly, I think all the best modern-day movies were made between '94 and '99. Pulp Fiction, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Clerks, The Fifth Element, 12 Monkeys, Fight Club. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Where the Hell is that these days? Possibly the only movie that really seemed like a work of art to me made since 2000 has been Big Fish, but thats probably mostly based on the fact that I cried my ass of at the ending. Heh. Wait, that movie wasn;t eligible for this year's Oscars was it? Because if it was and didn't win anything, something is terribly wrong.

Oh well, LOTR was based off a pretty mediocre book anyway.