Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ukiro

Any *really* good players?

I'm working on a pretty big and complex map. When it's done, I hope to be making more big and complex maps to go along with it. Either way I find myself needing some advice from time to time, and lately it's been increasingly often. So I'm looking for a top-class player with lots of experience that preferrably has at least basic editing skills to help me with the following:

• Ammo balance
  • Health balance
  • Skill settings balance
  • Fine-tuning secrets, puzzles and jumps
  • Fine-tuning speedrun options (i.e. intentional shortcuts)
  • General feedback regarding gameplay
So this is not about help with the overall aesthetics of the map(s) as I think I'll do just fine on my own in that regard, but about gameplay and classic playtesting. You should be an excellent player, able to keep up with the crazy folks in the demo forum, and also a person with very sensible and delicate tastebuds when it comes to classic DOOM gameplay. You should also be able to answer e-mail fairly quickly. It'll just be a quick question every now and then, but I would ofcourse like them answered as soon as possible.

I may be setting the bar high here, but I feel that this project deserves that. Please respond by e-mail: ukiro at ukiro dot com.

ukiro said:

You should also be able to answer e-mail fairly quickly.

Hmm, I would be interested but at least in that area I'm not qualified. I just don't check my e-mail very often.

Dunno how experienced gamer I am, however I would like to help.

If my gaming skills aren't enough, then you could use me as an emergency... :)

I've been playing Doom since it's release. Played all versions except the 32X version. I think I can give you what you want.

Maybe you should talk to Erik.

His Scythe megawad is respected throughout the serious dooming community.

Demo recorders and their ilk.

Those who view Dooming a bit like a competitive sport more than a simple recreational activity.

Little Faith said:

Those who view Dooming a bit like a competitive sport more than a simple recreational activity.

I thought competitive sport was a recreational activity.

ukiro, you watch demos; the accompanying text files give e-mail addies most of the time. The comments they give about maps on the text files are also a good guide to their playing insight.

myk said:

ukiro, you watch demos; the accompanying text files give e-mail addies most of the time. The comments they give about maps on the text files are also a good guide to their playing insight.

True, and I'm very fascinated by their expertise, which is why I'm looking for such a player to help me out with questions that pop up as development goes along.

And no offense to the above, but so far noone has managed to send me an e-mail about this which is what I requested, and I can't recall seeing any of the above names among the demo recording crowd. So the "offer" still stands, and remember - this is NOT about editing help. I just think that basic understanding of Doom editing would come in handy. The main point is that you should be a very skilled player (and preferrably able to prove it) with lots of experience.

Julian said:

Cheer up! Doom is a hobby... O_o

I think you're being a little narrow-minded there julian :) I can spend hundreds of hours on textures alone for a single project, and then hundreds of hours again on the maps (as with The Darkening Episode 2). Others, on the other hand, spend hundreds or even thousands of hours PLAYING these maps instead. So I don't think the difference is in seeing doom as "a competitive sport" versus "a simple recreational activity", but rather that our interest in doom manifests itself in different ways. I think I'm just as competitive as the demo guys, but I compete in making nice textures and cool maps instead. It's just that unlike demo recording, designing is more of a judging sport and lacks the absolute results of competitive playing.

ukiro, I'll send you an email shortly outlining my points and attempt to meet your criteria. :)

Job said:

I've been playing Doom since it's release. Played all versions except the 32X version. I think I can give you what you want.

Then you've yet to live man. You've yet to live.

If I had more skill AND if I had more time... :(
Erik Alm, Andy Olivera, Andy Johnsen, Anthony Soto, Kim Bach, Pagb666, Alex Parsons, Brad Spencer, Cyb, Espi, planetAdam, ... Nokturnus and Fredrik have experience making bigger maps that work well.
hey, I noticed Gravert joined the forums over the weekend. I bet that dude has the playing/editing skills... he's like the Quake version of Bjooooorling.

DEMOn said:

Andy Johnsen, Anthony Soto

I think Anthony's already played it, and both are pretty much retired. I can't think of anyone to add though.

there definitely some people to add... Fen_boi for example.
Gemini... Virgil's a good call, not the best mapper but definitely very competent with large maps... and he's got the playing skills too.
Mike Toliver, KingGodSpace, or Ryback have the patience/expertise with ultra-large, hard maps....
I would think everyone would be happy to get a first look at any Ukiro release. :)

If I had the time i'd still be mapping for the project. And my playing skill is definately limited.

Is there anyone from the HR2 demos who's good at optimising gameplay?

I could do some playtesting, with the caveat that my lame computer can't handle large open areas with thousands of visible linedefs or maps larger than, say, Vrack2.

So do I need to send my resume in or something...?

Ryback said:

I could do some playtesting, with the caveat that my lame computer can't handle large open areas with thousands of visible linedefs or maps larger than, say, Vrack2.

So do I need to send my resume in or something...?

No you're a player I know about, so no need to :) This map IS very detailed and very big though. But drop me a mail and I'll tell you more.

I think I can help you with this kind of testing :)

I like to play challenging maps (did a demo for HR2 demopack and I like nightmare play) and I know map editing rather well too (I did a rather big map for Alien Vendetta).

email me here if you are interested => vincentds@netcourrier.com