Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Doohnibor

Demorecording in JDOOM

i am trying to record sp demos in jdoom.
it seems like there is nothing in the readme and the rest of the documentation about it... the only info i found is here: http://www.doomsdayhq.com/faq.php?topic=6
but it seems like it is not possible to do just a "normal" recording of a single play. i have to start a server and spawn a second player and then only the recording worked... problem is that if i start a server i need to set up a coop game. but then the weapon and ammo placement is different.

am i missing something?

please help me to get a clue ;) i just want to record a plain simple sp run. is it possible in jdoom? if yes, please point me to a place where i can find the info or if you can explain it in a few words.

if it doesn´t work in jdoom, what would be an appropriate port that supports normal recording?

thanks

well, to answer my own question... i should pull the head ot of my b... first and then just try to type in the command properly ; )

i got no clue what i did wrong before.... it just didn´t work and i got the error message "cannot record... blah"
but now, no problems.

thanks anyhow

hmm.. JDoom is not really meant for demo recording... at least not yet (maybe author plans to make it better).

The ports I recommend for recording demos are PrBoom and Legacy.
They have very good compatibility between versions.

You might consider Eternity too.

I dont recommend ZDoom because demo compatibility is ruined every time a new version is released.

There are very few demos recorded using the Doomsday engine for two main reasons:

• It is more complicated to record demos in Doomsday than in most other exes.
  • The file-sizes are enormous - something like 100 times larger than the standard lmp file format.
Most people who record demos prefer to use a port that features the more traditional and simpler form of demo recording: Doom2.exe or one of the compatible ports (prboom or eternity), or else Boom or Legacy.

If you visit this page and download the first pack of Andrey Budko's jHeretic demos, you will find some notes by Opulent on demo recording/playback in the Doomsday engine. I'll quote these here to avoid you needing to make a 5 meg download:

Opulent -- 4/12/2003 -- some Doomsday notes

Intro:
Doomsday is much closer to Quake than DOOM. It uses external resources, key bindings, and console interaction.

Hopefully this will make some things easier for people in the DOOM demo community.(since this info seems to be missing from their latest FAQ...)
Lastly, this is an excellent port... the frustration to record demos in no way diminishes the outstanding work the Doomsday people have put into their releases... although the damn thing locks my computer about every 5th time I run it =/

Installation:
1) download doomsday engine 1.7.8 from http://www.doomsdayhq.com/
(the install is good for DOOM, Heretic, and Hexen)
2) unzip it with sub-directories enabled.
3) move your Heretic Iwad -- that is patched to version 1.3 -- to the ...\deng-1.7.8 root directory
4) create a directory called 'Demo' at .\deng-1.7.8\Run\jHeretic\demo

To watch Andrey's demos:
1) create the 'demo' directory as in the Installation instructions above.
2) put the unzipped demos into that directory
3) run a batchfile with 'jheretic -playdemo <demoname>.cdm'
OR
3) start the game (jheretic.exe)
4) press the ~(tilde) key to pull down the system in-game console.
5) type 'playdemo <demoname.cdm>'
6) enjoy madskillz! hehe
7) repeat for every demo in the directory until you feel so unworthy that you uninstall Heretic forever. =P

note: in some operating systems(Xp for example), you can associate the file extension .cdm to the program to make this easier. And with the kickstart launcher, this is probably easier too, but this way works for me, so nyah. =P

To record a demo:
(for simplicity this is using Heretic as the example)
1) launch a new game (I recommend the jheretic.exe, but that's because I be old-fashioned :)
2) START a new game (on whichever skill setting you wish) in the gui in the game
3) bind t "stopdemo; -warp 1 3; -recorddemo temp"
(or modify this key binding in your cfg before you start the game)
press the 't' key
this will warp you to e1m3 and record a demo called 'temp'
note: A flashing message appears on-screen while a demo is being recorded.

personally, I'd edit your jheretic.cfg file (\deng-1.7.8\Run\jHeretic\jHeretic.cfg) with
bind +t "warp 2 3; recorddemo temp.lmp"
bind +y "stopdemo"
this will put the demo in the demo directory.
note: Doomsday doesn't care what you call the file -- 'a.lmp', 'a.out', 'a' are all the same to the game.
note: as with any game that allows aliases and bindings, you can create a very elaborate demo recording and playback system with just the keys if you wish)

========
gl and hf, Opulent

VinceDSS said:

I dont recommend ZDoom because demo compatibility is ruined every time a new version is released.

Well, not every single time there is a new version, but often enough to be a real pain.

I think budko's heretic demos are as cheated as his doom2 speedrun.
As a compet-n player I have a doubt about any demos recorded with free source ports :/

Any programmer can modify them to "help" recording wonderfull demos.

Nonetheless they are great to watch :)

Should they be noted as tool-assisted ?

Obviously they shouldn't be compared with heretic-N demos, since he uses jumping in them. Whether they are tool-assisted beyond that hardly seems relevant. I mean, if someone used jumping in Doom2 map07, no one would care too much if they had also used an S50 mouse driver. :p

Personally, I was puzzled by Andrey's decision to use jumping in the original Heretic maps. Maybe he'd forgotten that it wasn't Hexen?

Anyway, my reason for bringing them up was due to Opulent's accompanying notes on recording in Doomsday, which is the only such set of instructions that I'm aware of. I had tried to work out how to record in Doomsday myself previously, and found it very messy indeed.

>I had tried to work out how to record in Doomsday myself >previously, and found it very messy indeed.

Grazza: just in case you still didn´t figure it out... it´s quite simple to record demos in jdoom. the only problem is that it doesn´t seem to be mentioned anywhere in the jdoom docs. there is some info on the jdoom site itself but it is focused on movierecording (more then one player, cameras etc... which requires a server to run) that´s why it was so confusing.
anyhow, as i said plain demorecording is very simple. here´s how it works.
pull down the console at any time while you are in the game and type "recorddemo" )without the quotes) followed by a space and the name you choose for you demo.
for example recorddemo e1m2
once you are done type stopdemo
and to play it back type playdemo e1m2
but i think you have to load that map first.
it´s great that recording doesn´t seem to stop at the end of the level which means you could play throughout the whole game and at the end have one huge demo.

the only thing i couldn´t figure out until now is a command which loads a map and automatically starts recording a demo the moment the map is loaded.

Doohnibor said:

the only thing i couldn´t figure out until now is a command which loads a map and automatically starts recording a demo the moment the map is loaded.

That's where Opulent's instructions come in.

Yes, I was aware that you could start and stop demos in the way you describe (that's what I meant by it being messy), but don't regard that as much use - a demo should start being recorded as soon as you enter the map.

Doohnibor said:

it´s great that recording doesn´t seem to stop at the end of the level which means you could play throughout the whole game and at the end have one huge demo.

That's standard Doom behaviour. Or at least it has been after version 1.2 or thereabouts. :)