Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Echarin

Linedef action: Is this possible?

I need to have a linedef with an action that opens a door. I need the door to open when the player walks over the line, but I also want the door to open when the player walks over the line with the back side of the linedef facing him. So the action only works if the player walks over the line from (example) the right, but not if he walks over it from the left.

Echarin said:

I need to have a linedef with an action that opens a door. I need the door to open when the player walks over the line, but I also want the door to open when the player walks over the line with the back side of the linedef facing him. So the action only works if the player walks over the line from (example) the right, but not if he walks over it from the left.

You could set this up with dummy sectors and 2 extra lines quite easily.

...or you could just have another line that does the same thing 2 units away from the first line, only facing the opposite way. No dummy sectors required. :-P

netnomad312 said:

...or you could just have another line that does the same thing 2 units away from the first line, only facing the opposite way. No dummy sectors required. :-P

Oh, I think I misread the original post... my suggestion is valid if you want to make sure a line only triggers when moving across it in one direction.

ukiro said:

Oh, I think I misread the original post... my suggestion is valid if you want to make sure a line only triggers when moving across it in one direction.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Player enters room, nothing happens. Player exits room, door opens behind player to reveal a monster.
Now how exactly do I do that?

Which port is it for?

I don't know much about other ports but Doomsday's XG can do this. Simply activate the line when you enter then when you walk out it will be triggered.

Echarin said:

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Player enters room, nothing happens. Player exits room, door opens behind player to reveal a monster.
Now how exactly do I do that?

A door in doom is a sector which ceiling raises to 8 pixels below the lowest adjacent ceiling. The key here are those last 3 words - Lowest Adjacent Ceiling.

So when walking over the line the first time, there sould be a sector connected to the door sector, preferrably through a dummy sector construction, that has its ceiling at the same height as the starting ceiling height for the door. This means that when the door opening line is triggered, the door won't move as it's already as "open" as it can get. While the player is in the room, he crosses a line or activates a switch that raises the ceiling of the dummy sector. When the door opening line is then triggered the next time, the door can open since the lowest adjacent ceiling is now much higher.

This will work for any port.

Yep... that'll work. It's 4 units, though, I think.

I once did a trick like that... but it involved a switch. First time you go through, the door next to the switch opens and you can proceed... second time, door barely moves, and instead a door opens behind you revealing enemies... while you're busy back there the dummy sector's ceiling rises again so the door opens next time.

The only problem is that there would be a door sound with no door opening, which may confuse some people (they may look for a door they think has opened but really hasn't yet). Now, if there was some way to mask the until you want the door open...

Ichor said:

The only problem is that there would be a door sound with no door opening, which may confuse some people (they may look for a door they think has opened but really hasn't yet). Now, if there was some way to mask the until you want the door open...

With a properly constructed dummy you can make it silent. That way it won't make a sound when it *does* open either, but then you'll at least be greeted by the discovery sounds of the monsters unleashed in the trap.

That's what I was thinking. I've never actually tried making a silent door (never needed to), but I've seen it done before.

Ichor said:

That's what I was thinking. I've never actually tried making a silent door (never needed to), but I've seen it done before.

I accidentally made one just yesterday, so it's at least possible in zdoom :-)