Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LogicDeLuxe

Doomsday crash. What can I do?

I'm running Win98SE, DirectX 8.1, 320MB RAM, 3dfx Voodoo, AMD K6 450 MHz. This should do for the Doomsday Engine acording to the requirements.

I tried OpenGL in Softwaremode (<1 fps), MiniGL and with the Official OpenGL for 3dfx installation. The error is always the same. There are no wall and floor textures and the game crashes when looking at several certain locations. No error message, the game just hangs and I havo to kill the task.

I tried Direct3D and right after booting the following error pops up:

It doesn't give much hint to me as "D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE" isn't helpful at all. I also checked out the FAQ at the Doomsday homepage, which only covers different error messages.

The same problems occour with Doom64TC, which actually was the game I tried first. Sounds seems to work fine, btw.

Any idea how to fix this?

LogicDeLuxe said:

I'm running Win98SE, DirectX 8.1, 320MB RAM, 3dfx Voodoo, AMD K6 450 MHz. This should do for the Doomsday Engine acording to the requirements.

I tried OpenGL in Softwaremode (<1 fps), MiniGL and with the Official OpenGL for 3dfx installation. The error is always the same. There are no wall and floor textures and the game crashes when looking at several certain locations. No error message, the game just hangs and I havo to kill the task.

I tried Direct3D and right after booting the following error pops up:

<don't quote images>

It doesn't give much hint to me as "D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE" isn't helpful at all. I also checked out the FAQ at the Doomsday homepage, which only covers different error messages.

The same problems occour with Doom64TC, which actually was the game I tried first. Sounds seems to work fine, btw.

Any idea how to fix this?

I think the message is as clear as it can be: Either Direct3D doesn't work on your system or the installation is corrupted.

I think it's possible to get Doomsday running on a Voodoo but I've not heard of anyone who's suceeded as Doomsday doesn't support glide...

It's the Voodoo 1, the Diamond Monster 3D upgrade board I use together with my Elsa Winner 2000 AVI (S3 Vidion 968). I know, it's rather old, but good enough for old Doom. I also can play GLQuake, Quake2, Unreal, Jedi Knight, Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island without any Problems with it. I also got some Doom Ports with 3D-accelleration running with it, though it was some time ago. It seems there is no general problem but a problem especially related to that particular port. And I don't think, it's my Voodoo, as the software OpenGL renderer produces the same bugs as well.
And I doubt the installation of the engine is faulty, as I installed Doom64TC and after that, the Doomsday Engine independently to each other. And it's just clicking through some dialog boxes, there shouln't be much, which can go wrong with it.
I reinstalled my latest drivers, but it doesn't fix the problem.

LogicDeLuxe said:

It's the Voodoo 1, the Diamond Monster 3D upgrade board I use together with my Elsa Winner 2000 AVI (S3 Vidion 968). I know, it's rather old, but good enough for old Doom. I also can play GLQuake, Quake2, Unreal, Jedi Knight, Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island without any Problems with it. I also got some Doom Ports with 3D-accelleration running with it, though it was some time ago. It seems there is no general problem but a problem especially related to that particular port. And I don't think, it's my Voodoo, as the software OpenGL renderer produces the same bugs as well.
And I doubt the installation of the engine is faulty, as I installed Doom64TC and after that, the Doomsday Engine independently to each other. And it's just clicking through some dialog boxes, there shouln't be much, which can go wrong with it.
I reinstalled my latest drivers, but it doesn't fix the problem.

Maybe it's just that Doomsday doesn't support Direct3D on a secondary graphics card. It's some years ago that I worked on software that had to support a Voodoo card but I still remember that it required special initialization. Maybe Doomsday skips this step (as it isn't required anymore for modern graphics cards.)

Interestingly, the Doomsday FAQ gives the minimum requirements with Voodoo1 as it is the board the engine started developement.
I'll try some 3rd party drivers now, which I just downloaded. I hope this will fix the problem.