Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Crix

Doom3 OS

So is Win98 supposed to be the main Doom OS?

Will it work on XP? I think when all of us buy new computers when Doom comes out, the preinstalled operating system will be WinXP. I bet WinXP will eat up 5 fps compared to running the game with Win98 on the same system.

Anyone know more about this? Are they developing Doom on XP beta builds??

They're developing Doom primarily on Win2K machines as far as we know. With that being said, Quake 3 didn't run very poorly on a Win2K machine compared to it running on Win98.

Most of the performance difference you'll see between performance can probably be attributed to variations in drivers (graphics card companies rarely if ever bring their win2k driver versions up to the same level as their win9x ones).

Yeah they're developing on Windows 2000, Linux and MacOS. I'm sure they'll make it work on all Windows versions since Win95 - that's including XP. OS Compatibility is high on John Carmack's "list of 1000 most important things" (he actually keeps a list like that).

It will work if you have win9x\2k\any other post-win95 windows OS.

Win98 is far better than win2k for gaming, since win2k is built on NT wich aims for stability and good networking instead of performance.

Yeah, and isn't XP built on NT? I just figure it will eat much more memory. On the other hand, I think one of Microsoft's perogatives was to make memory use more efficient with XP.

I think with XP's streamlined NT base[millions-of lines of code] and win98 compatibility, win XP will be the PREFERRED OS of DooM]I[. Not to mention the fact the memory will be cheaper, allowing for better usage, and even sloppy usage by the time D-day comes. Along with built in DX8, XP will be BETTER than win98se. If id's code is as solid as OG doom's, there should be little difference between XP and 98se(if you still have '95...). I still don't like windows.[period]. If XP won't run D3, I'll get BG myself...

Personally, I'm happy with Win98 for now, as I hear WinME does NOT use DOS, but some other system. Though I'm not that DOS literate, it has been the foundation for this great game we all know and love right?

Anyway, I'm not gonna be lazy and just buy a new computer when this game comes out. I'm gonna do something we all here know the meaning of (unlike a vast majority of the population).............UPGRADE!!!!!!

Here's my crappy ass computer specs (what I know at least):

1. Intel Celeron 500 MHZ (/me laughs at myself)
2. Riptide Wavetable Synthesizer (I would KILL for a Roland!)
3. Direct 3D (wahhhhhh, no OpenGL!!!!!)
4. 64 mb RAM (I suck, don't I?)

Once I get a job, my life will be much better. Until then, I only dream of having a good computer.

win 98se is good...for now. When DooM]|[ is realeased, win 98se will be legacy. I personally was forced into getting ME, bad kernel and all kinds of technical crap. I TRIED to hold off for XP, but, lo and behold, win98se couldn't even hold out. I built my computer from parts from Fry's. (I actually went there). I planeed for just such an event as DooM]|[...and anything else programmers tried to throw at me(I ate Max Payne for breakfast, I stopped looking at the bottom of boxes for sys. req's; only for the occasional smirk...) for about $800!!!! Granted, I don't have "Customer Support"[read: bend over and let me...] or tech support, only my own knowledge of computers...BUT, i wouldn't pay the extra $1000 to hear recordings and mumbo-jumbo from some high-schoool kid "who knows more than me"[read: wet dreams] techie. If you want a free consultation about how you should upgrade: archofanon@yahoo.com and Subject it "HELP"...all other subjectswill not be acknowledged.

My thanks to DooMWorld for all the email...;)