Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Use

node builder question

Hi

I'm almost finished with a small 11-map set of speedy little doom2 maps, designed for vanilla play. However, during my testing I've run into one little problem with doom2.exe and Deepsea's default node builder. I've never seen this before but what's happening is hitscan weapons will be blocked by invisible barriers at certain angles. Projectile weapons and line-of-sight for monters don't seem to be affected, players and monsters can also move through these areas, but no hitscan weapons can pass. However at some angles hitscan weapons will go through.
I just wondered if anyone had an opinion on the best node builder for doom2.exe, these maps don't feature any special effects or anything, there are no plane overflows or savegame buffer problems, just this annoying issue.

I have some other node builders like BSP and Zennode but aren't sure how exactly to get them to work in Deepsea. thanks for any help!

poon!

Get Doom Builder you can get ANY nodebuilder like BSP and Zennode to work with it. The best nodebuilder IMO is BSP but alot of people like Zennode or WARM better. Maybe you can try running the nodebuilders themselves? I haven't tried so I don't know

Use3D said:

I have some other node builders like BSP and Zennode but aren't sure how exactly to get them to work in Deepsea. thanks for any help!

I'm assuming you are using version 11.83 and that you have run the levels through the DeePsea error checker (press F10)?

If you look at the Dialog that builds nodes in DeePsea it gives examples of the parameters for 2 other nodebuilders, plus of course pressing the little Help button would explain it all.

You can run any nodebuilder you like - read the help for generic rules about variable names, but the 2 examples should make it clear since they cover Zennode and GLBSP - which is the same as BSP. Add other parameters as you see fit.

Unless you are running a very old version, don't think the behavior your described will change. DOOM does have a few quirks :)

BSP and Zennode are pretty good for vanilla wads.
I slightly prefer BSP tho, coz it handles a few special FXs a bit better than Zennode. :)

And to use 'em then the best way is to use DOS command line or the "run" command. Read the txts to know the parameters.

Thanks. At least it's isolated to one level so far.

Deep, I'm using 11.76 and upon closer examination, getting other node builders to work is easy. I'll try some others and see if it changes anything. Been too busy on the other maps to worry about it!