Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

A real Doom arcade

I have a good friend whose dad works as an arcade machine distributor. One day, I was talking about the movie Grosse Point Blank and how cool the Doom 2 arcade machine was in there. My friend told me that his dad has a couple spare arcade machines I could tinker with if I wanted to make an actual Doom arcade. It sounds like fun, but I'm really not sure where to begin or if it's even a possibility.

Actually I have seen a real doom arcade machine, it was about seven years ago. You could play final doom there, but i'm not sure which one. It was fun to play though, I used up a lot of money on that.

Heh, arcade machines are fun. There was a dude I knew who found an arcade machine just sitting a dump (don't ask me what he was doing there), and he fixed it up so you didn't need quarters to play. I think it was Double Dragon or something. Just left it outside his house. Quite neat. :)

But hey, you know what would be really neat? Doom Arcade in an arcade machine! :P Just not so frickin' impossible this time around . . .

I think there was one in "Congo"

or it may have been on someone's PC, i know the game was in there somewhere

Job said:

One day, I was talking about the movie Grosse Point Blank and how cool the Doom 2 arcade machine was in there.

BlackFish said:

There was a Doom II arcade machine that was featured in an old movie.

Learn how to read?

Heh, well if there are other ideas for an interesting game to put into the arcade machine, I'm open to suggestions. Mechanically though, I'm not sure how I could do it.

High Flyin' Ryan said:

Pacman is the all time best Arcade Game :-P

That'd be a big waste.

BlackFish said:

There's another movie with it.

I recall there being a Kurt Russel movie with a kid playing PSX Doom in the background.

High Flyin' Ryan said:

Pacman is the all time best Arcade Game :-P

YESSSS

Doom Doom Revolution.

Hey, I think I have a new programming project...

And actually, I never got into Pac-Man much, nor Ms. Pac-Man. I think it was the fact that all I ever had was the 2600 port of it. I was always more of a fighting game fan.

Near DU, they have an arcade which has Unreal Tournament in it. Inside the cabnet there's a joystick and some buttons (like wsad) to controll it. My friend tried it, but the controlls were horrible, and it actually ran a bit slower than it does on my laptop. Translating an fps to an arcade cabnet's hard. Maybe if you go the way of a fighting game or side-scroller.

Just take the old electronics out of the case and put a PC with MAME and the Doom games in there. You'd need a proper control setup, but that's simple enough.

IMJack said:

Just take the old electronics out of the case and put a PC with MAME and the Doom games in there. You'd need a proper control setup, but that's simple enough.

Heh, awesome. I'll consider making something that combines Doom with Parappa the Rapper and DDR. That should make for an interesting/dumb arcade.

NOTE: Making it a PacMan arcade would be a waste because there are already PacMan arcades in existence. If I have the chance to make something different/better, then I should.

IMJack said:

I think the biggest problem would be weapon-switching. Either you'd need a scroll-wheel of sorts to go between them all, or a whole array of buttons on the side to select them individually.

As for me, though: GUARDIAN LEGEND ARCADE GAME.

I wonder what kind of limitations there are to the advanced-ness of the game I could plunk in there. Because it'd open a lot of other options if I could. The whole point of this, though, was to make an arcade based off of one of id's 3d shooters. Because around where I live, I don't see any 3d shooter arcades. : /

I have Cacoman, made by Kaiser. It was made with some arcade game maker though, but it's still cool.

High Flyin' Ryan said:

Holy Mick Foley, someone actually made a Pacman Doom :-O

Pacdoom (1994) was one of the best-known early graphic replacements for Doom. Look here.

Actually, I always thought a Doom rail-shooter would be kind of cool. Something like Time Crisis 3 with Barons and Cybers.

deathbringer said:

I think there was one in "Congo"

or it may have been on someone's PC, i know the game was in there somewhere

It was on the PC, during the scene where you're first introduced to the gorilla.

I think a number of people carved themselves an arcade stand with a normal PC configured specifically to run MAME. Sounds like a fun idea...

Also, has anyone played Sin while it was making the arcade rounds? I worked at the arcade at the time, and found that it booted straight from Windows. Can you say "waste of resources"?