Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doohnibor

WHY are you STILL playing Doom?

It's still the best. The weird 2.5d environment is way more optimized and allows for tons of chaotic fast paced action. If levels are designed well, the chaos of multiple moving monsters taking slightly random paths means you can never realistically play the same level exactly the same (replay value). Unlike modern fully 3d games that have much fewer enemies and feel very linear/same every time you play (and also tend to be much less challenging (well you can't compete with hell revealed). And they just feel overly complex (not in a good way), and they're slower and full of loading time and friggin (often forced) cut scenes. I also have a theory that the more complex games get the more 'committee made' they feel, and the more they're forced to rely on cookie cutting previous stuff like typical 3d game engines. When the game is small, the eccentricities/genius of one individual can shine through.

Why are people still playing Super Mario Brothers? Pacman? Pong? If you really want to know, well, um, I don't know. I tried it and liked it.

Without ports, Doom would have faded away when XP came along. I suppose I wouldn't be playing Doom without the /idgames database to get fresh levels.

the fact that ive never completed doom2 (after 6 years) is one reason, lol. but mostly, doom is just to much fun. the shotgun in doom is more fun the the shotgun in any other agame. and the chainsaw!!!

and the monsters are way to interesting. its not like some games where they all act the same, on doom they all present different tacticall problems. like balls of fire fired randomly, balls of fire fired nonstop, heads of fire running into you. and the Pain Elemental, theres no other monster like it.

and the fact poeples are still making doom levels. always something new to do. the game continues.

cheers

BGbad said:

the fact that ive never completed doom2 (after 6 years)

sinner!

Ok, I admit it, I never finished alien vendetta...

Janitor said:

sinner!

Ok, I admit it, I never finished alien vendetta...

Heh I never finished Final Doom because of the Pharaoh level. Isn't there a bug in that map? Hmmmm isn't there a downloadable fix for it? It's been so long since I played Final Doom. All I remember is running around that map for fucking hours when I played it the first time and never figured it out to the point that I started to hate that level. I suppose I should google for the answer and replay FD and finally finish it.

Doom Dude said:
Hmmmm isn't there a downloadable fix for it?

Right.

Hello everyone! First post in this forum, so if there are some writing mistakes in text, don't be amazed.

But...

I have played Doom for 9 Years and when I played it first time I thought that "This must be best game in the world!". Even now I say that it is one of the best games ever made: It is simply so good and when you once test it, you never forget it. Have no idea what is the reason.
I also have played Doom, Doom Ultimate, Doom 2 and Final Dooms are over a halfway. Difficult levels are HMP and UV.

I still play Doom to this day because of the blood splatter, monsters, the maps, its ease of editing and simplicity in gameplay. And of course, Hell. :) Besides, it gives me a cozy feeling every time when watching the zombies being rammed backwards when blasting them in a row with the Double Barrel! :D

All hail id Software! \../

I played DOOM for the first time long ago when I was a little child and I have some vague memories of it. A while back I rediscovered the game and I found out about source ports, maps, ... Playing this game for the first time in 6 years was a great nostalgic experience. I tried mapping for DOOM, and I'll never forget the first map I made. I'm also interested in becoming a programmer, and I think it would be fun to download the source code from DOOM or one of the various ports and play around with it. Finally, the monsters are just great. Adrian Carmack did some great work designing them. I'll never forget the first time I saw a Baron.

I simply cannot picture ANY other first person shooter that can have thousands of monsters in it and still not run like shit.

Doom is just fun to play.. I dunno.. all these newer ones like halo and whatnot..
they are fun for a while.. but they are also kinda slow.. doom you get to run in there and shoot shit
and it's just plain fun to keep doing that..

For the moment I'm not playing Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife because I need more true 3d. Hexen 2 rules. So does Quake. Editing does too.

Why I Play Doom...*puts on his glasses and thinking hat*

Ah, I remember when I first got Doom, it was The Depths Of Doom Trilogy, I was...around...seven or eight years old. I was scared witless the first times I tried playing it. Ultimate Doom was somewhat stressful, but Doom II had me waking up screaming. Wonderful memories for an 8 year old.

Time passed and I picked up Doom again not so long ago, five years to be precise...I loved it. I felt that childish fear each time I faced the most gruesome creatures. The Arch-vile had me running for my life as I tried to shoot it down with my Rocket Launcher. The Mancubus had me jumping out of the seat each time one of it's twin fireballs got in a hit without me ever seeing it coming. Tried making a few maps, did a few fan-fictions, but it all died with my PC. Once reformated...it was Doom again.

Currently I'm doing it UV style, late late night plays and heavy metal music...plus caffeine induced insomnia leave me a tattered man at the end, stressed out of my mind, reacting to every little crack and squeak. Violent, aggressive...destructive...

I play Doom because no other game achieves any of these emotions...I played Halo 1 and 2, but they just...weren't Doom. Cheap monsters, cheap multiplayer...cheap weapons. Strategic, yes, but just how fair is a game that has you sniping at your unsupecting foes? Doom isn't like that. There's no room for sniping in Doom, you either fire or you don't. If you don't, chances are you'll die...if you do, chances are you'll kill whatever it is you shot. Face to face is an uncomfortable reality.

Simple weapons, responsive weapons. Nothing fancy, nothing "ubertechnical", just enough for a lone marine to survive the blast of hell.

The difference between TUD and DII are vast, both are completely different games. The first has a much more tense, thriller enviorment, while the second has constant frantic, maddening bloodfests.

Huge war-like levels and small, claustrophobia inducing pits all mix with each other, creating an ever changing need to adapt, or become food for thougth.

Enemies are always present in various shapes and sizes, making good fame to their nickname "Hellspawn". Hybrids, zombies and blatant demons. All aout to kill anything and everything that posses a threat (or smells ripe). No remorse, not even for their own troops.

That is why I play Doom, because Doom is more than a game...it's a story (no written by the creators, but by the own player), it's an icon.

It's a way of life

Lots of people are talking about their Doom origins. I got Depths of Doom as well, but the earlist Doom I remember getting is Doom II (a box from PC World -- I didn't even think much of it, my brother wanted my dad to get it -- it was the first game I ever played :) ). Apparently my brother initially got the original Doom from my uncle, on a series of floppy disks :D... man how things have changed.

On another note, I find Doom 1 (and Doom 1 PWADs in general) to be too easy. The hardest non-boss is a Baron, and they are a piece of cake (also the quantiy of the enemies is lower). Doom II is still a bit tricky, but I could probably complete the original 3 episodes in my sleep.

In fact currently, I'm loading all the Hard/Very Hard monsters from Tormentor667's Bestiary into Skulltag, and setting up waves of monsters, similiar to Invasion. Weakest monster being the Baron, it's very very hard but alot more enjoyable :)

EDIT: Oh, and just the fact that I can DO that, load in custom monsters, using a custom port playing custom levels with custom textures, custom skins and custom weapons... is THE reason I am still playing Doom :)

printz said:

For the moment I'm not playing Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife because I need more true 3d. Hexen 2 rules. So does Quake. Editing does too.

waht? no half-life?

I do have it, but I haven't got into it far enough. It can be deadly scary at times too. Maybe that's one reason I quit it once......

But hey. I may play HL at any time. And I can say I'm back with Doom or even Wolf, for nostalgia or modability, as well as I want more 3d engine and go to newer games.

Ive played Doom every day of my life since I first played the Knee Deep In The Dead demo cd.
First of all, its such a simple game to get into. Its fast paced and gets straight to the fun part! Games now days are too much like a damn movie. It would take anyone at least 15 good minutes just to get the game started! Thousands/millions of dollars is being spent on video games now days and they still suck. People focus too much on making the game as real as possible, but who wants to pay for reality??? We live in reality every day. We should be able to escape reality and get submerged into an unrealistic video game that will fry our brains! Like Doom! Our brains have been fried years ago from this game, and now were just addicted. One day, people are going to forget about smoking, and say "Man, I need to quit playing Doom... I need to go get the Doom patch to help me quit."

Also, Doom never gets old. When you play modern games, everything is scripted perfectly. Its the same everytime you play, and you just have a small set of levels to play, and then when you beat it, all you can do is play it over again. Each time is exactly the same as the first. But, with Doom, theres always new content to download. Doom will never get boring, because its just Doom! nuff said.

Doom Dude said:

Heh I never finished Final Doom because of the Pharaoh level. Isn't there a bug in that map? Hmmmm isn't there a downloadable fix for it?

Yeah but then you can't play it in conjunction with the rest of the WAD. Ur better off using idkfa and then playing the rest of the level as meant, and using up the extra ammo u got so as not to change the outcome.... Or you could just not go into the secret, but what fun would that be?

Airman266 said:
Yeah but then you can't play it in conjunction with the rest of the WAD.

?

Doom2 -file tnt31.wad

cocolate-doom -iwad tnt.wad -file tnt31.wad

myk said:

?

Doom2 -file tnt31.wad

cocolate-doom -iwad tnt.wad -file tnt31.wad

OK well I downloaded it a few years ago and all it did was create a completely seperate map 31 that could only be played by itself, which I thought was ludicrous.

Airman266 said:
OK well I downloaded it a few years ago and all it did was create a completely seperate map 31

That is what it does.

that could only be played by itself,

Not really; if you load a PWAD that only replaces one level, it doesn't affect any other levels at all, and that PWAD requires TNT.WAD because of the new textures (it won't run properly or at all if loaded by itself with DOOM2.WAD).

I guess I'm an idiot... anyway...
I still play Doom because I like the epic, never-ending battle of this one guy alone to vanquish all the demons in hell. Doom 64 reinforces this when the Marine chooses to stay in hell. If he's willing to do that, the least WE could do is keep playing.

When I'm generally angry, I play Doom. Killing stuff helps. If I am angry at someone in particular, I play Manhunt. Closest thing to a murder-simulator I've seen. But Doom works in most situations, plus it's a ton of fun.

I guess that, by now, I'm playing Doom just to have something to say here, at Doomworld forums :-)

@Non-Fanatic_Doom_Fan: if you need to vent, badly, try Postal 2 ;-)

Non-Fanatic_Doom_Fan said:

When I'm generally angry, I play Doom. Killing stuff helps. If I am angry at someone in particular, I play Manhunt. Closest thing to a murder-simulator I've seen. But Doom works in most situations, plus it's a ton of fun.

sounds like someone needs a hug... just not from me

Ralphis said:

I like the people and like hating the people

lets be friends

Airman266 said:

Doom 64 reinforces this when the Marine chooses to stay in hell. If he's willing to do that, the least WE could do is keep playing.

I thought Doom64 always seemed a bit ... off. They needed a PC port. It was beautifully done, I loved the atmosphere of that game, but it was a pain in the ass to play using that N64 controller. I am not still playing Doom64 tho...