Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timmie

Dev update.

Ahh, been awhile since I made a real post about what I've been up to... Well, work on 0.75 continues. The shader system is pretty much in place now (I'm also working on a demo wad to show how to do some cool effects) and I finally figured out those damn texture coordinates on slopes.

So it looks like this (as far as major changes from 0.74) now:

- updated to ZDoom 2.0.63 (heh, obviously).
- optimized the renderer a bunch more. This includes reworking the texture management so texture lookups and bindings are much faster than they were.
- the previously mentioned shader system.
- in-wad hires textures, both overriding existing textures and defining completely new textures (these are only usable in the shaders, though). These can also be in virtually any format, not just tga or png (basically, whatever OpenIL supports, which is a lot).
- hq2x/3x/4x filters (hiend3d.com), selectable with the gl_texture_hqresize cvar (0,1,2,3 selects off, 2x, 3x, 4x).
- preliminary support for vertex programs. I want to finish that up so the sprite billboarding is done on the gfx card. Hopefully that'll give a little boost to maps with lots of things visible (ie: grove.wad, etc).
- support for PVS data (from Vavoom).

So the things that are left for 0.75 now are:

- fix the "world panning" option for textures.
- update the documentation.
- err, I'm sure I'm missing a few things, but it's late and my brain has already gone to sleep =/

Pretty awesome list of changes there, they look good stacked up together like that. Will you be making another public release soon?

has there been any luck boosting the framerate? and one better, will daedalious work with this version of zdoomgl?

I think I remember Timmie posting a screenie of it running in ZDoomGL a while back. I'm definetly looking forward to playing it in .75

Yes, it's running on ZDoom 2.0.63 right now. 0.75 isn't too far off right now, either. Just a few small bugs to clean up and then I should really write some documentation on the shader stuff and make up some examples.

Here's the bugs I want to clean up before release:

- check to make sure a loaded .gwa is current for the map it's for
- finish up the vertex program billboarding for sprites and particles
- look at the texture precaching again since it doesn't seem to work all that great for some reason

There are other bugs, but I'm going to do another maintenance release after 0.75 to address those. These bugs would be:

- chunks of certain maps not being drawn for some reason
- certain 2-sided segs get drawn at the wrong spot. glbsp doesn't fix this problem but the internal nodebuilder does (but it can introduce other problems)
- optimizations, of course

So after 0.75 I'm going to start laying the groundwork for dynamic lighting as well as working out those bugs.

I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet, but having a skybox within a sky dosen't seem to draw correctly. ZdoomGL seems to only want to draw one sky at a time, so when i look at the skybox it takes over and overrides its boundry so its drawn where my normal sky should be. Other than that, keep up the good work, zdoomgl looks the best its ever been in years.

that's a problem with the different ways skies are handled between the software and hardware renderer. You can simulate it by enabling the stencil buffer (gl_vid_bitdepth 32 and gl_vid_stencilbits 8) so it'll mask out the skybox areas first and then only draw the skyboxes on those areas. You can actually have multiple skyboxes visible at the same time that way.

Hmm, speaking of that method, I have to make sure I brought things up to date with the new geometry handling so it's masking out the walls again...