Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Doom 3 on the Radar

The Games Radar has the latest article/preview about Doom 3 which includes the usual info about how Doom 3 will be uber scary and of course comparisons to classic Doom, along with a few interesting tidbits which you may or may not have seen before:

No longer will you be able to swap between the BFG and the chainsaw at will. Even the torch, a new addition to the series, takes up space. When you crawl through the blackness, you need to make a choice. Do you face the dark, pistol in hand, feeling your way through, or unarmed, but with a clear, lit path?

Also they mention a release time area of May 2004, so with that as well as the speculated April release, it surely looks like Doom 3 is just around the proverbial corner. .soon.

SWEET. I'm so pleased to hear they are going to follow Halo's innovative weapon system. It makes a game 10x better when you have to be smart and selective about what you're taking with you, rather than having 30+ weapons with full ammo and seeming like an unstoppable demigod.

Meh, not sure I'd like a system much more restrictive than something like Deus Ex.

Deus Ex had a limited inventory space, but you could generally speaking still fit in a full range of everything you'd need.

They seem very proud of the fact that you keep getting put in situations where you have to choose between flashlight and weapon. I can't really see myself enjoying such a gameplay scenario though - I imagine I'd get pissed pretty quickly if they keep pulling that one over and over again.

I never played Halo (never liked anything I've seen of that game, screenshot wise that is). but if it's like System shock 2 or any other RPG like that where you gotta reserve space I'm all for it.

i'd take a roll of toilet paper instead. there will be plenty of restroom action in doom3!

msquid said:

i'd take a roll of toilet paper instead. there will be plenty of restroom action in doom3!

That made my day.

Maybe they'll end up with a 'resident evil' style inventory, which can be extended by the use of a backpack..and it would convienently allow them to bring back an old item but with an interesting new use...

Cyb said:

Also they mention a release time area of May 2004, so with that as well as the speculated April release, it surely looks like Doom 3 is just around the proverbial corner. .soon.

I don't know about you, but I'm not about to get my hopes up. I didn't see these words come directly from an Id employee.

Yeah, and a torch isn't a weapon. I suppose it is kind of stupid to have a light source take up a weapon slot. Aren't space marines supposed to have shoulder lamps and such?

I'm so pleased to hear they are going to follow Halo's innovative weapon system.

Halo isn't the only game that has that system, even ones before halo came out, but then these are few and far between.

As long as I don't have to have continuous fist fights with revenents and the like due to lack of weapon/ammo, Im happy.

Hell, I'd be happy if I could pulp the brains of an imp with the end of the flashlight

kristus said:

I never played Halo (never liked anything I've seen of that game, screenshot wise that is). but if it's like System shock 2 or any other RPG like that where you gotta reserve space I'm all for it.

Halo limited the player to carrying two weapons, though their size didn't matter, and I think 4 of each grenade (alien and concussion) but you also had a flashlight on your suit that you could use while armed (so fighting in dark places was never a problem, unless you ran out of battery power of course), similar to half-life or any game with a flashlight.

I'm with ukiro on this one though, seems like it would be a colossal pain in the butt to either go into a dark place without any chance of fighting off anything remotley large or going in nearly blind. either way it seems like you'll get socked with no way to prevent it.

The weapon system sucks! Why the hell can't you carry a flashlight and a pistol at the same time?

Even ROTT had something similar, where you had numerous weapons, but you could only carry four at once, and only one missile type weapon at a time. If you picked one up, you would drop the one you had at the time (you could leave it and pick it up and whatever ammo it had left later on).

I'm just comparing it to Halo, because as far as I can tell, Halo is the most recent game to use such a system-- and the best, too.

Halo wasn't particularly innovative, in my mind.

Anyway, as long as they don't limit the max. number of weapons held too drastically, I don't mind. It sounds suited to the type of game that D3 would appear to be.

It doesn't even matter. the first time through the game you'll carry the flashlight so you can memorize the enemy spawn points, then you'll probably die.. after a couple times of playing the same level over again you'll know exactly where every enemy is going to be and will go off the short visible light your pistol gives off when you shoot filling in the gaps with your memory..

It could be more complex, meaning there are semi-random spawn points, but even then that just means it will take a bit longer to get down. Each individual node in the tree storing the enemy's data such as position, translation threshold (movement, and min/max for grunt's) as they relate to spawn points will take only so much time to memorize. This information will be based on an area customized by the level designer or by the code's logic - humans can memorize either.

Not too hard for the average human being to say, "Ok. I've played this 60 times so I know exactly what to do because the enemy up here will have only 5 basic variations upon how he will react to me running in. *CAP* *CAP* *QUICKSAVE*"..

I dont think that flashlight OR weapon will make it into the final... you could easily mount a flashlight on a weapon, even if you use duct tape ;)