Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Vicarious Visionsnterview

Gamepro.com is going nuts with the XBox Doom 3 stuff, as their latest feature is an interview with Vicarious Visions, the company behind the XBox port of Doom 3. The interview talks about a bunch of stuff related to the console version:

KB: Our biggest addition for the Xbox is the ability to play the single player game with a friend in co-op mode. We’re also modifying and balancing combat and demon behaviours to present challenging, but not frustrating encounters while still maintaining the action, intensity and terror of Doom 3. There’s a ton of work going into the balance and pacing of the game as well as the control mechanisms -– the player needs to feel connected with the game and a part of the environment in order to suspend their disbelief and really draw them into the atmosphere and terror of the game. We also draw players in with true Dolby 5.1 surround sound support -– there’s nothing scarier than hearing a Demon sneaking up from behind you.

So I guess that confirms no co-op on the PC. Oh well.

no coop mode on PC ... that just plainly sux.

/me adds Carmack & Co to the "maybe to hate" list.

/me hopes that modders might implement it... prolly tough to do...

I wonder how different the single player will be between platforms? how much differs to make coop work.

Linguica said:

So I guess that confirms no co-op on the PC. Oh well.

Damn that sucks I wonder why tho?

Szymanski said:

I wonder how different the single player will be between platforms? how much differs to make coop work.

I guess the game is heavily scripted... so it might be a hard work to change these scripts and make em coop-friendly. Would also need additionnal map modifications too... so that players don't get stuck.

I remember people being disappointed when Unreal 2 went out without coop support... some modders are trying to implement it... dunno if they succeeded...

Btw, the XBox is just a PC with always the same components... so I guess they could port the code from PC to XBox and vice-versa.
If they put coop on XBox, why not on PC since the code should be very similar ?

BlackFish said:

I can't really imagine Doom3 Co-op. The levels look pretty cramped (except for the mars screenies).

Even in the tightest of corridors, one player can cover another's back while he covers the front, operates a console, messes with his inventory, or whatever. One does not need to have enough room at all times for three players all to fire rockets at the same target. Since (hopefully) Doom 3 won't be using bounding boxes for collision detection, even in those tight corridors one player can crouch and fire while the other fires over him, allowing at least two people to fire at the same target.

co-op makes bad games playable, mediocre games good, and good games great. as an xbox owner lacking a gaming-quality pc, this news excites me greatly

Arioch said:

"wasn't that good"? sven-coop fucking sucked

Yeah, maybe you two should actually give it a try? Particularily Horde.bsp?

Damon said:

Yeah, maybe you two should actually give it a try? Particularily Horde.bsp?

There's something about taking out all of the intricacies that made HL SP great, then sticking in monster spawn points to bring Half-Life to the same gameplay level as Serious Sam, except with crappier weapons, control, level design (and that's hard to do, when you consider we're comparing against Serious Sam) and netcode, that makes the sven-coop experience JUST THE SLIGHTEST FUCKING BIT UNAPPEALING.

no coop support in Doom3 PC will probably the biggest booboo in Id's history. They always had coop besides DM in their single player famous games : doom1/2 and quake1/2.

If this is REALLY confirmed, I'll never buy Doom3 or any more Id products.

I don't care if Id adds coop support or not. If anything, some modification will show up that will allow you to play a coop game; maybe even on Id's original Doom3 maps.

well, if it had been easy I think ID would have included it right away... so that means it's hard to do...
and so it would take months ...

Unreal 2 has this problem too... but the game has been released long ago... some guys are working on a coop mod but it's still far from being done (they say it needs heavy modifications on the scripts and the maps).

So if doom3 is as complex as Unreal2 the mod will take the long long time to come up...

True. Its not as easy to use pure Single Player maps in a Coop mode, especially not because Doom 3 isn't about brainless slaughter. You'd need to add gameplay elements for specifically Coop so that it would even be fun. Thanks along the lines of a demon charging towards the player in a locked hallway. Being alone you might get quite the scare and start freaking out (or if you have goopd reflexes, start attacking\escaping). Now imagine this with two or three players. You get a sense of team-spirit, thinking "yeah, we can kick this thing's ass in no time". Which obviously wouldn't be far from the truth.

So far for my extra 5 cents.

Ct_red_pants said:

Sven Coop...wasn't that good.

I wasn't referring to whether or not it was good, but rather that people will try and implement it

Arioch said:

There's something about taking out all of the intricacies that made HL SP great, then sticking in monster spawn points to bring Half-Life to the same gameplay level as Serious Sam, except with crappier weapons, control, level design (and that's hard to do, when you consider we're comparing against Serious Sam)

Serious Sam > You

And why would Doom 3 not be about mindless slaughter? That's the whole damn point Doom made in the first place. Pah. Leave the stupid pretencious 'we are making an EXPERIENCE' crap to the Half-Life jokers. I wanna grab a gun and blast around in Hell, not play some half-witted storyline with loads of scripted events (Which is why Unreal2 sucked).

LlamaGod said:

mindless slaughter? That's the whole damn point Doom made in the first place.

That's your view. I don't share it.

Sign in to follow this