Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bangalter

DOOM3 on Xbox to have co-op

source:

http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox/games/features/34068.shtml

GP: Any Xbox specific features that we can expect to see? Any innovations that Vicarious has added to the project?

KB: Our biggest addition for the Xbox is the ability to play the single player game with a friend in co-op mode.

This is good news for all Xbox owners, to bad I don't own one and want co-op in the PC version aswell! ;)

co-op rules IMHO.

Edit. I just though of the idea that the Xbox single player game differs from the PC and therefore it's easier to do co-op...maybe

Does MS fund the company making the port? or does Id?

If it's MS I think it's a really smart thing to make the Xbox version more attractive.

Well maybe there will be a co-op mod for the PC version at some point...

I don´t understand why they don´t include co-op for PC when they do the work for Xbox.

It sure needs some changes to make the SP levels co-op friendly and they probably need to cut out the in-game cutscenes, but is it that much work?

Or what about adding co-op mode later with a patch / point release ?

Tetzlaff said:

Or what about adding co-op mode later with a patch / point release ?

A bit like what they did with Quake 2 u mean...(even though the coding was horrible, it did the job). I don't see why ID is insistent to not put it in, while the X-box version is having it exclusive, you'd think the PC version would be the one will special features. >:(

Can ID not see that the PC gamers would embrace the idea of Coop, not just deathmatch!.

Tetzlaff said:

I don´t understand why they don´t include co-op for PC when they do the work for Xbox.

*whispers* because X-box doesn't suck and since MS owns its own console they want to make sure they have just as many players for it as the PC version.

that will never make me buy a XBox... they are dreaming. I only want one platform... fuck consoles.

We should collect signatures from doomers and send it to ID :)

We want coop in Doom3 !!

the Xdox version is probraly making up for lack of other things. alot of graphics will need to be removed, most cool effects will also be lost. the game will be run in low res with almost none of the fancy crap in the PC version.

i am guessing that the xbox version will be a really dumbed down version of the PC.

it will most likly look about the same as halo, all the lighting effects should be there, but i am sure poly counts will be drasticly lowered.

*rolls eyes

if youve seen doom3 models, you'd know that the polygon models arent as high as they are cracked up to be

as good as halo? what about halo2?

VV said it wont be dumbed down, and it better not be
the effects in the screenie looked the same to me, the lighting and everything looked fine, just the resolution wasnt quite there, and the models are a bit altered. its on par with halo2.

the xbox has a custom built Geforce4 that is plenty capable of great graphics, just there hasnt yet been a game that takes full advantage of the xbox hardware. never mind, you guys will never listen, but since d3 xbox is being specifically built for xbox hardware, and it will look wuite good,better than the average pc anyway.

you PC gamers miss the point. you guys all think in terms of online MP, resolution, mouse controls, and all that garbage. gmaaeplay is what matters, and graphics are icing on the cake.

The point is, doom3 will kick serious demon-ass, no matter what platform it is played on.

Hahahaha I think it's funny all of you guys getting so upset about the XBOX version. No matter what you guys think or say the XBOX kicks ass and if you think it doesn't then you obviously haven't played a good game on it like halo. And if you think it isn't capable of good graphics then play Return to Castle Wolfenstein on it gameplay is about the same as PC but graphics are alot better than PC, not to say that the XBOX is capable of better graphics but on some games they as good or better. I personally have all the next gen consoles and the XBOX is by far the best, I'm honored that Doom 3 is coming out on it not to mention that it is the only console capable of running it. PS2 has more games but XBOX destroys it in every other catagory. I love the PC as much as the XBOX and maybe a little more because you can mod games and such. I've been reading this forum for awhile now and alot of you guys talk trash about the XBOX but it has it's place it might not be for everybody but it holds it's own. It won't push the PC off it's throne so guys don't need to get so upset. I'm going to get copy for both the PC and the XBOX(can't wait to play co-op on the XBOX hahahahaha - sorry fellas)

TH-555 said:

*rolls eyes

if youve seen doom3 models, you'd know that the polygon models arent as high as they are cracked up to be

as good as halo? what about halo2?

VV said it wont be dumbed down, and it better not be
the effects in the screenie looked the same to me, the lighting and everything looked fine, just the resolution wasnt quite there, and the models are a bit altered. its on par with halo2.

the xbox has a custom built Geforce4 that is plenty capable of great graphics, just there hasnt yet been a game that takes full advantage of the xbox hardware. never mind, you guys will never listen, but since d3 xbox is being specifically built for xbox hardware, and it will look wuite good,better than the average pc anyway.

you PC gamers miss the point. you guys all think in terms of online MP, resolution, mouse controls, and all that garbage. gmaaeplay is what matters, and graphics are icing on the cake.

The point is, doom3 will kick serious demon-ass, no matter what platform it is played on.

Well put thank you!

welcome.

I also feel the need to point ou that in the xbox screen, the only real downgrade is the resolution, and the high-polygon demon face.

all the cool effects, real-time reflections, specular masking, and bump-maps are all perfectly intact.

I would sign a petition for PC Co-op in a flash, but if I know ID Software they'll porbably just go with making a patch once they perfect the co-op mode. It is probably complicated and they need to make it work 100%, but it might cause Doom 3 to come out a lot later than intended. I had a game once that ONLY had Co-Op, but people wanted to play Deathmatch because that's why the first game got so popular. The makers added a patch for it later and everyone was satisfied. Hopefully if Co-Op is not in the first release of Doom 3, it will be quickly added via a patch.

I'm sure it has already been discussed somewhere, but adding Co-op to the Xbox version should be miles easier than adding co-op to the PC version.

Here is the thing. When you play co-op split screen with a buddy, there is only one instance of the game world on only one console. So, just take single player, add another camera view, downgrade the visuals a tiny bit and there you have it, co-op. Such an easy addition. However, splitscreen isn't exactly...well it's not what a lot of people expect on a computer. So, they have little choice but to add it as a networked or internet mode.

See, the problem with network games is that you have to make sure that the game world is in sync almost EXACTLY between systems. Now, this is easy when you have a few humans, but what about AI? The easy way to solve it would be to make the AI so simple that they behave the exact same way in the exact same situation. I beleive (Confirm/Deny) that this is how Doom handled co-op. Otherwise, you have to treat the AI like a player, and lord knows you dont want it to be you and a buddy against 2 hellspawn (Doom netcode is a maximum of four players), and that if you made the AI react the exact same way in the exact same situation, well...that wouldn't cut it with today's games either. So that's probably why there is no Co-op in Doom3.

I think you can follow the same kind of logic and figure out why linked Xbox Halo co-op and Halo PC co-op were never finished. This also can illustrate why recording demos in Doom 3 would reuqire a little extra work (would require recording what the AI is doing instead of just what the player is doing/pressing, like is done in origional Doom). It's possible, but the files would be a lot larger than the average lmp.

*whew*

alright guys, let me end this thread right now.

There will be co-op for PC because someone is definitely going to make a mod for it

AND

First person shooters on consoles SUCK! PERIOD!

This is extremely disappointing news (from a PC player's perspective). I suppose it will likely be handled in a mod, but it still would have been great to have it out of the box.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

This is extremely disappointing news (from a PC player's perspective). I suppose it will likely be handled in a mod, but it still would have been great to have it out of the box.

I expected it to end like this, so I can't really say I'm disappointed...

...anymore. Still, it sucks. Oh well, at least I'll get a first rate sp game :-P