Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
High Flyin' Ryan

Router Help

What the heck are you asking?
1) This forum is for Doom questions.
2) Routers route routable protocol packets. One would assume you are using a router because you need it to route your data or to DHCP or provide a firewall or NAT your network.
3) We can't help you unless you ask a question that makes sense.

Opulent said:

We can't help you unless you ask a question that makes sense.

This should be added to the FAQ.

While ideally this forum will contain Doom questions only, in the past we have allowed other technical but non-Doom-related questions.

At any rate, you need that router; don't just turn it off. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to connect to the Internet. It serves the important function of delegating the usage of one IP address to however many computers that are on your LAN that need to use the Internet. With luck, you may be able to forward any needed ports to your computer, or alternatively place the computer you need to have full access to the Internet in the DMZ of the router. Your manual will help you do this. The manual will also tell you what kind of router you have.

Without any more relevant information, this is as far as I can help you.

First off I'd just like to say, the question is, how do I turn my router off? and the 2ndly, it is possible to connect to the internet without the router, I just want to turn it off so I can host games. Sure the router prevents hackers, but just like firewall, there is always a way around >)

I know what you're talking about, you want to disable whatever that's stopping you from playing online eh?

If you know very little about routers, and happen to have windows XP, unplug the router's internet connection and plug it directly into your comp, it should give you your internet back in about 15 seconds, if not, restart and the internet will automatically be detected. This should give you a direct connection without any firewall asides from the ones your computer (has). Now if other people are using the line too, they might be pissed...

In any case, read the manual first, damnit.

High Flyin' Ryan said:

First off I'd just like to say, the question is, how do I turn my router off?

Hit the power switch :)

But seriously, do you mean a router or do you mean a NAT gateway of some kind? Most problems people have are with NAT. It would help if you could describe how your network is laid out, what is providing your Internet connection (a router, computer running gateway software, etc)

I don't have a router switch, like I said, my Step Father has it all set up. I just want to know if it is possible to turn it off from my computer? Cause I don't know how the hell to fix it. I'd have my step father do it, but I don't think he knows what to do either :-P