Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bandcamp

Strife ports

I'm running Win2k so OF COURSE, the Strife demo doesn't run, has anyone made any ports or anything for this bad boy?

The source code hasn't been released, so it's almost impossible to make a complete source port.

ZDoom has a little bit of Strife support, and Vavoom has a bit more. But neither have enough support to actually play through the game.

Last I heard you can play up to destroying the power crystal in Vavoom. The quest accomplishment of its destruction just isn't recognized yet.

Then there's SvStrife in the works and may be released soon.

You could just ask someone with Win98 to make a DOS boot disk for you. Who knows whether you'll be able to get sound though, good luck. I had to buy a seperate sound card just because the Audigy 2 doesnt have any legacy mode...

bandcamp said:

I'm running Win2k so OF COURSE, the Strife demo doesn't run, has anyone made any ports or anything for this bad boy?

Look Here

I won't guarantee anything

like i said. most older games dont have good support in win2k. most new hardware also has no DOS support.

only 3 options
1. gather an extra $40 and build a classic system just for old games. best option

2. dual boot system, useing older windows or DOS. good however most new hardware may not work

3. try emulators, however this would be the worst option. most are very poorly made (use too much system resources) or will not run much above doom, failing even on doom.

really i recomend just building a classic setup. i posted ojn this earlier. only costs at most $40. hell you can find many pentium and 486 systems for free even. i recomend atleast a 486DX 80Mhz, pentiums are great, but with very old game may be touchy.

sadly most companies, as in strife, are no longer around. chances are high that the original source is lost forever and will never be released.

i have no issues with doom in DOSemu, will even run quake, duke3d and blood. however that is on freeBSD and i am not sure if the is a windows version of DOSemu, hope there is.

Get VDMSound.

BTW the company who made Strife, Rogue Entertainment, is still around; they were one of the numerous companies who worked on Counterstrike: Condition Zero. The reason they never released the Strife source code is apparently because they lost it :[

Loosing the source code for their game isn't a very professional thing for a company to do....shame on them :P

I personally don't know, but if there was i think it would've been done by now... it would be extremely cool though...i'd personally love to see something like Jstrife :)

insertwackynamehere said:

Is there anyway to decompile the engine?

Yes, manually. At least that's what I am trying to attempt. Fortunately large chunks of the code are nearly 100% identical with Doom which helps giving a lot of valuable references and means a lot of the code can be safely ignored.

So far I was able to reduce the size of the disassembly listing from 3.8 MB to 2.4 MB without deleting anything important.

But the hard work will probably take months. This is something incredibly work-intensive if you want to be thorough.

EvisceratoR said:

Loosing the source code for their game isn't a very professional thing for a company to do....shame on them :P

This happens. My company has also lost some sources of out earliest projects. But then, they were utter crap, some simple puzzle games slapped together in a few days...

Heh, yeah..i was mostly kidding :) about losing things, i should speak the least. I lost every computer game i had for 5 years, one year ago...

I remember Apogee telling a mate of mine that they'd lost the source code to Rise of the Triad.

Let's hope Rogue manage to find it again like Apogee eventually did.

Anyway, it's all looking very promising, to the point where I'm off to see how cheap I can buy it these days...

Michael Fish said:

I remember Apogee telling a mate of mine that they'd lost the source code to Rise of the Triad.

Let's hope Rogue manage to find it again like Apogee eventually did.

Anyway, it's all looking very promising, to the point where I'm off to see how cheap I can buy it these days...

Strife support will come even if the source is not released. All the major stuff already works in some source ports and it's only a matter of time until somebody puts it together into a working package.