Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Ronge

11Bones UV speed/max, NM speed

Hello all,

I found this little map, 11bones, on the archives a few weeks back, and the map stuck with me somehow. It's nothing out of the ordinary, just a typical '94 map. But it's fun enough to play. I gave it a perhaps somewhat harsh review (2/5), since I like it more now.

Anywho, I did:
* UV speed in 0:44 showing off two jumps that allows you to skip much of the map.
* UV max in 3:36 ... Very casual playing.
* NM speed in 0:52 ... quite careful, mainly because I suck at NM. ;-)

The demos were recorded in ZDooM 1.22 and are available here! I also sent them to Doug for (hopefully) an approval and addition to the SDA.

EDIT: Oh, damn! As I wrote this, I checked the SDA, and sure enough, there were already demos of this map there! Heheh. :-)

http://www.doomworld.com/sda/11bones.htm

(Much slower times though, for some odd reason) ... So, in all fairness, Michael Novikov should be credited with the exit trick jump (though I didn't watch his speedrun prior to recording my runs). Credit should be given where credit is due.

Actually, this map is even more popular than that. It is the same as Marswar map25. It's not completely identical though (I just tried converting one of my demos, and it desynched at the start).

I used a different exit trick in my UV Speed, since I didn't have the option of jumping over the cacos, and the way I did it (squeezing between them at ground level) seemed quicker than luring them out. As far as I can tell, this possibility didn't exist in the original version though. I'm interested to see Method_man's 0:42, but unfortunately the file he sent was just an additional copy of his Max.

My Max suffered from some poor map knowledge - I knew I could jump to the exit, but hadn't checked which switch that meant I could skip. :/

Grazza said:
Actually, this map is even more popular than that. It is the same as Marswar map25. It's not completely identical though (I just tried converting one of my demos, and it desynched at the start).

Aha! Cool. I'll check it out. I'm interested to see the differences. Thanks, Grazza!

EDIT: Not much that differs.. Mostly spiffed up the architecture a bit. The position and number of enemies seems to be identical.

I used a different exit trick in my UV Speed, since I didn't have the option of jumping over the cacos,

The jump is quite possible in vanilla Doom(2) as well. See for example Michael Novikov's 1:02 speed demo at the SDA. I don't jump over the cacos but rather move past the leftmost one. Of course the trick is much facilitated when using a port since you lower the risk of getting stuck on the caco.

Nice trick with lowering the ledge, though; means you can skip pressing the switch in the blue key room and save at least a second or so...

Anyway, thanks for the info!