Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scabbed Angel

When demons attack part ³!

Has their been any mention of whether or not the denizens of Doom 3 will be able to attack one another like in the originals? Though I never really used this to my advantage, and its more of a trick that a useful gameplay option, it can be a bennifit for a skilled gamer with low ammunition. Just a pondering my mind came to thinking about its hopefully timely release. Thoughts?

I think this would be quite the neato indeed. I would love to see them attack each other with their new neato attacks and all. :D

Speaking of which, wouldn't it be neato if you could press a button to whip out a lawn chair and popcorn? :D

they can attack each other. if you watch in the e3 preview, you can see a pinky demon and something else fighting. at least i think so.

Yea and what about when that Hell Knight threw a fat zombie up against a wall.

Monster infighting was a fundamental aspect of the original games (pretty much a defining feature, IMO), and so should be preserved in some form. Perhaps it ought to be implemented in a logical way though, with some classes of bad guys (the more stupid ones) more prone to retaliating against other demons, or even attacking them unprovoked in some extreme cases.

Obviously it will be it won't be realistic if a monster hits another monster and the demon who got hit continues attacking you as if nothing happened. btw Grazza what happened to your title?

Monster infighting has been used in every Id game since Doom - I don't see why it'd be left out now.
And no, monster infighting never gets old, especially not when the monster AI gets a considerable update like Doom 3's supposedly have. I reckon monster infighting would look totally sweet in Doom 3 - not only because of their new attacks/behaviour, but because of the almost cinematic graphics and effects.

Tyockell said:

Yea and what about when that Hell Knight threw a fat zombie up against a wall.

I thought that might be scripted. If, not that is sweet as hell! But I think there's a better chance that it was.

I really hope it does. Infighting's great, and a pretty rare thing in the mostly stagnant pool of modern shooters.

I agree that there should maybe be a chain of command in the Demons' structure - like, the lesser-intelligent Demons would be more prone to infighting, while the higher-up ones could try to "calm" their troops down - whether by screaming at them, or killing them. :P

As well as degrees of intelligence, certain types of enemies could hate certain other types (e.g. Revenants could hate Mancubi) and attack them on sight, maybe even if they're already fighting the player.

In the alpha, I'm quite sure there was a segment of the monster definitions which seemed to be to do with some kind of monster rank.

I hope that they attack each other... but then again, I think that doom guy should be gary Colman... IT would be funny becuase even an imp could squash him

Weakmind said:

I hope that they attack each other... but then again, I think that doom guy should be gary Colman... IT would be funny becuase even an imp could squash him

at last dude you write again... I am still waiting to see your crazy nightmare skills... since you are so good, I think you can record demos rather fast ?

Yeah in the alpha, they do supossedly attack each other, but not very well as the imp fireballs doesn't go straight anymore. Plus the zombies should be too stupid to know the enemie has hit them, and just fall over lol.

Also i hope the cyberdemon still mashes the enemies to pieces, if he's not on his own in doom 3.