Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellmo

UAC - ?

Okay, I might get flamed for this kind of question, but what the hell... no pain, no gain.

What the fuck is UAC? I mean this is an abbrev. of something, right?

I believe it's United Aerospace Corporation.

/edit Union Aerospace Corporation, whoops

Ubik said:

Union Aerospace Corporation

Yes Union Aerospace Corporation the people that accidently(?) unleashed the demons in doom

MaximusNukeage said:

youve been a member since 04-03 with over 300 posts and you didnt know that?

Heh... Good point... I think it explains this in the doom story in the manuel you get with the game.

ellmo said:

Okay, I might get flamed for this kind of question, but what the hell... no pain, no gain.

What the fuck is UAC? I mean this is an abbrev. of something, right?

I'm sure you're joking, but just because I love to explain story stuff allow me to explain:

The UAC stands for the Union Aerospace Corporation. In the Doom backstory, the UAC is a vast conglomerate (supposedly of mega corporations) based across multiple planets in our solar system. Their main base is located on Mars.

The UAC, has strong ties to the military (probably because they made a lot of research on military technology) with the military being the biggest supplier of the conglomerate. The military, with the help of the UAC, conducts top-secret research on interdimensional space travel - that's basically teleportation - but after years of research, the project goes badly wrong and the teleportation gates open a doorway into Hell.

Draconio said:

Isn't it "United" not "Union"?

No, read the manual or the oficial DOOM FAQ

There was a doom wad once (truckstop.wad or something) where the story in the text file said it referred to "United Arms Corporation", as a reason to explain why you had a chaingun and a ton of ammo in the back of your truck, but thats just because he was too lazy to change the textures, it really means "Union Aerospace Corporation", but the storyline of that wad might be where some of the misunderstanding comes from

Haha, of-coz i knew that... it's just I... forgot :)

I've been dooming since the shareware "Doom" (think it's '93), but I never knew what UAC did stand for, well thanks for the info.

Who cares? Those stories' purpose is just to make the handbook more than an ugly sheet of paper. It doesn't affect gameplay at all. :D
I would have searched for my handbook in my box somewhere in a pile of other boxes to look it up for myself, if I needed to know. On the other hand, I just could read this thread as well. ;)

Naitguolf said:

DooM was at very first, an Aliens Game, isnt? So UAC was the Corporation. Is this correct?

Um, no...

Actually id was going to do an Aliens themed game but they decided it was too restrictive creatively, so they decided to do their own game instead. Or something like that.

Night.Keeper said:

Hey do i have to reapeat myself?

Yes and no at the same time. :P