Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ellmo

Railgun damage - how much?

I was just wondering how much damage can a single Railgun shot inflict, and what's about "pushing mass" (?) I mean a couple of railgun direct hits can even push a Cybie somewhat backwards, see MAP20:"Gotcha!" to know what I mean. The Cyberdemon there can easily be pushed off the pillar with a few shots. How high the mass of THING should be, that it's not pushed?

ellmo said:

I was just wondering how much damage can a single Railgun shot inflict, and what's about "pushing mass" (?) I mean a couple of railgun direct hits can even push a Cybie somewhat backwards, see MAP20:"Gotcha!" to know what I mean. The Cyberdemon there can easily be pushed off the pillar with a few shots. How high the mass of THING should be, that it's not pushed?

A player's railgun shot inflicts 150 damage points if you use the Dehacked version. A monster's railgun damage can be customized by setting the damage value in the actor definition.

When 2.0.64 is eventually released you will be able to create a railgun weapon with a customizable amount of damage.

Regarding the push it inflicts on the monster: I recently reported an issue concerning overflows in this calculation resulting in too much thrust. Yesterday Randy noted it as 'fixed' but unfortunately I don't know what this means. Anyway, if you put a monster on a pillar it's always a good idea to flag all sides of the pillar as monster-blocking.
The push amount is inversely proportional to the mass as long as it doesn't overflow.

Not as much as a rocket - something like 80% of the damage (rough guess). But that might change with 2.0.64, as there's supposed to be a new railgun codepointer (with lots of options) replacing the old ones - so expect to be able to change the damage when that comes out.

Edit: damn, the creator got there before me.