ShadowRunner

Retro E2m1 complete.

Shadowrunner's text file says:

* Play Information *

Game :DOOM
Map # :E1m1
Single Player :Yes

and fp of course.

First let me say that your mapping skill has definetely improved a little.

For a tribute map it's ok. I assume the lack of detail is due to your desire to stay true to the original. There is one HOM however (right after the rising stairs). Also, the skylights would look better if they were a little "thicker" (raise the sky secors up a few units).

Hmm didnt notice that hom, it seemed fine in the editor. I just rose up to 64 and gave it a lower texture and seems to be fine now i guess. I'll readd the new bugfix up soon.

And yeah im sticking to the original.

OK, your mapping is definetly improving. However, I do have one big complaint.

Randomness.

A lot of your rooms have totally random, messy shapes and this just looks stupid, especially in the room above. Some straight walls wouldn't hurt.

That room might work better if you used some Hell textures for that odd shape.

Anyways
I really like that level, a solid E2M1 replacement with not too many monsters (luckily!), definately Doomish atmosphere and architecture, good ammo/weapon placement and interestingly hidden secrets (but still findable). Only few minor misalignments here an there.

For me:
4/5

It was fun, but I noticed some texture mis-alignments, here and there. Also, at the exit, the exit sign texture was used too much, IMO :-/ All in all it was fun. Also, I could tell what it was based off of immediatly, even without filename.

Agreed with you. Other than that i might just think about including this level in: RetroE2

Also i'll be working on RetroE1m1 and Retro E3m1.

I fear no original level(Except E2m2 and E2m3 that is.)

Nice levels :)

I have a minor request though - could you please not call the accompanying txt files readme.txt, as quite obviously they're going to overwrite any previous readme.txt and will eventually get overridden themselves.

IIRC newstuff only supports 8 character filenames.

insertwackynamehere said:

It was fun, but I noticed some texture mis-alignments, here and there. Also, at the exit, the exit sign texture was used too much, IMO :-/

I concur. Upon seeing all those signs, I wondered to myself "Could this possibly be the exit?"

But a definite improvement nonetheless. You've just got to work on how to add detail without making things look stupid. I'm glad you stopped those ridiculous lighting effects you used in your other wads though.

If it had details it wouldn't feel at all like the original. Although I haven't played his e1m1 yet.

Very good, IMO, but your main problem in both of them is your use of COMPUTE2. COMPUTE2 if used as a texture, where the wall is taller than the actual graphic (56 pixels), it gives the tutti-futti effect (a thin colorful line is drawn because textures do not match up). If you don't want to make the wall smaller, the only option is to use a different texture.

Anyway, they both were fun, all in all. Can't wait for E3M1!

Yeah that'll be around the corner soon. Then i can finally work on something thats half tributed and half new.

Deimos AnomolyII:Demonic Base.

ShadowRunner said:

I sure wish ralphis could review this!!!

No, you don't, believe me.

Also, don't make the same mistake, don't consider your map the best or you'll suffer the same.

That was sarcasm, and in my honest opinion their is no "Best" map.

People have their own opinions about maps.

If someone thinks Advanced underhalls is the best level then thats their decision. If someone thinks the original Doom and Doom2 levels are the best then thats their choice.

So you cant say any level is the best out their. Although Deus Valt will do something to the community for sure, but then somebody will try to surpass it to try to make the best map and it just keeps going on and on and on.

Vegeta said:

You know what I'm talking about, avoid arrogance.

In the same vein, don't let your mouth overload your ass.

Ubik said:

In the same vein, don't let your mouth overload your ass.

Same for you :-)

Vegeta said:

Same for you :-)

I was referring to ShadowRunner. :)