Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Spidercyberdemon

AV on Nightmare

There are NM demos for Alien Vendetta here and here. As you can see, plenty of the maps have not been done (yet?), and there are no movie runs.

So the answer is that no one has beaten AV on NM.

I beat AV on NM with -turbo 10.

I also invented the internet.

auxois said:

Bullshit! Nobody can beat AV on NM even with -turbo.

auxois said:

No, I invented the Internet!

Ct_red_pants said:

Bullshit! Nobody can beat AV on NM even with -turbo.

I'm not sure if there are any AV maps that are an utter physical impossibility on NM. For instance, on map07, you can jump to the exit (rocket or S50) without needing to kill all the arachnotrons. (In HR, map07 is not possible on NM since there are too many arachnotrons, and there is no trick to bypass them.) However, I'm sure there are plenty of maps that, even if they are theoretically possible on NM, would be TAS-only.

I agree with Grazza. There's an enormous difference in definitions... Whether a map is *theoretically* possible is very different from the question of whether it is *practically* possible. For example, multi-level Tyson runs and Pacifist runs are practically non-existent because few people with the skills required can muster the will, strength and patience to get through it all in one go. Still, someone could do it. OTOH, to run Doom2 map 7 Pacifist style in single play is *theoretically* impossible... There's just no way to reach the switch without purposefully inflicting damage to at least one monster.

I'm not sure but off the top of my head I'd say no AV maps are theoretically impossible (in other words, they *could* be done - at least tools assisted - even though some of them are too difficult a task for anyone sane to even dare try!).

I don't understand why some compet-N players with taste for nightmare never tried to do the various pwad levels on this skill more frequently. Personally I never found much appeal in the levels that differ little on nightmare and uv speed. Nightmare becomes interesting when you have the fights, the -fast monsters and the respawning frency all over the place, making carefull route planning and health preservation crucial.

I did a few av levels on nightmare before I stopped dooming, and it was great fun. I'm sure the other pwads would be equally interesting for this category, if the territory was more explored.

I'm pretty much convinced every AV level can be done from scratch in skill 5 with the proper planning, w/o tool assistance. Several levels ought to be doable in movie style as well, but that'd realistically stop at some point. A full game run won't happen, unless its a tool assisted one.