Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellmo

any Darkening2-type wads?

Okay, I'm still so Impressed with Darkening E2, that I would like to know if there are any other Wads with maps kept in similar quality, theme, and such?

Any ideas?

ellmo said:

Okay, I'm still so Impressed with Darkening E2, that I would like to know if there are any other Wads with maps kept in similar quality, theme, and such?

Any ideas?

dunno.

BlackFish said:

dark7 series?

Agreed. If you like Darkening 2 you will like both Dark 7 episodes.

SSWolfenSie said:

dunno.

Good suggestion!

Anyway, I suggest Dark7 and Dark7's mission pack, along with BlackFish and Graf Zahl.

Dark 7's textures are nowhere near as good as the Darkening E2's though :)

Speaking of textures, I really should get around to mailing you (ellmo) those improved warning stripes...

NiGHTMARE said:

Dark 7's textures are nowhere near as good as the Darkening E2's though :)

???

That's something I would have expected from everyone but you...

I have Darkening 2 but I havn't gone through too much of it yet. Better do so, gemme some ideas, steal some textures. ;)

Lutrov71 said:

I have Darkening 2 but I havn't gone through too much of it yet. Better do so, gemme some ideas, steal some textures. ;)

The Darkening E2's .txt file says
Please do NOT extract textures from darken2.wad and do NOT create levels that are depending on darken2.wad to run. If you want to create a level that uses the textures from The Darkening Episode 2, use the standalone texture WAD. See http://www.doomworld.com/darkening for more information.

After the standalone texture WAD failed to ever appear, it was decided by someone or other (not sure whether it was Ola himself or Jan) that making a level that requires darken2.wad is okay, but as far as I know the rule about not extracting textures still stands.

Graf Zahl said:

That's something I would have expected from everyone but you...

Heh well nmtext1 is mostly crap :) My texture skills have vastly improved since then, but are still far from being on a par with Ola's.

NiGHTMARE, I didn't mean it when I said i'd steal some textures. That's why I put the wink smiley next to it.
I wonder why the creator of Darkening2 doesn't want people extracting the textures...

Darkening E2 had lots of creators, not just 1 :) The guy who made the vast majority of the textures was Ola Bjorling, who's just really proud of his work and doesn't want anyone stealing it (and I should know :P).

Anyway, for lots of (not as good) textures, go here. But please, avoid the afore-mentioned NiGHTMARE1 ;).

Hmmm, I wonder.

Malice TC texture pack has something to do with Quake Malice Total conversion right?

Man I loved tha add-on!

ellmo said:

Hmmm, I wonder.

Malice TC texture pack has something to do with Quake Malice Total conversion right?

Man I loved tha add-on!

Yes, that's the source.

Heh i've always loved your textures nightmare.. you've been an inspiration to me since gothic1 and 2. In fact, i'd say you're one of the best texture artists in the community, and you have a completely unique style to ola's so to compare would be pointless.

Lutrov71 said:

NiGHTMARE, I didn't mean it when I said i'd steal some textures. That's why I put the wink smiley next to it.
I wonder why the creator of Darkening2 doesn't want people extracting the textures...

Actually he doesn't have any problems with using his textures, he has problems when people steal them and don't give credit (or take the textures as their own). I also think he'd prefer to keep them all in one wad rather than have them get scattered around and become a bunch of nameless textures since he put(s) a lot of work into his textures.

You can, of course, make a wad that uses those textures but requires the user to run the darkening2 wad with it (which I would like to do myself one day if i get the time).

The Darkening 2 textures are really nice.

Just the other week I found this The Darkening Aftershock wad in the idgames archive. You also need the Darkening 2 files in order to run it.
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=10825
The first map wasn't bad but the start of the 2nd had a bunch of critters in the tiny entry hall, including a Vile. I got dead fast and went off to play some other wad so I never finished it. hah.

Cyb said:

Actually he doesn't have any problems with using his textures, he has problems when people steal them and don't give credit (or take the textures as their own).

Nice theory, shame it's utterly destroyed by the fact that the .txt file quoted from above was written before such an event happened ;)

You can, of course, make a wad that uses those textures but requires the user to run the darkening2 wad with it

Heh, isn't all that pretty much what I already said? :)

Yeah, I was playing that the other day actually. You can draw the Hellknights and Barons of Hell out by ones or twos if you're careful, and then kill the Arch-Vile by itself.

myk said:

Yeah, I was playing that the other day actually. You can draw the Hellknights and Barons of Hell out by ones or twos if you're careful, and then kill the Arch-Vile by itself.

Ahh I see. Will try that later. ;)

I played that Aftershock thing on UV, and it's not too bad of a challenge. Although the second level's beginning, is, as Doom Dude, says, a real ass-kicker.

NiGHTMARE said:

Nice theory, shame it's utterly destroyed by the fact that the .txt file quoted from above was written before such an event happened ;)

It's not a theory, it's a factual statement actually since I still talk to Ola from time to time :P

Of course you still can't use the Darkening2 textures outside of the wad, I'm just saying what Ola has said to me before (though it was not about a Darken2 texture).