Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellmo

what kind of wads you're looking forward to the most?

type of wad?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. type of wad?

• completely vanilla one with superb architecture and such
    • designed for a specific source port, but still Doomish
    • designed for a port, but has almost nothing to do with original Doom

Exactly. Whcih wads/ megawads/ projects are the ones becoming the most popular and most worshipped?

Graf Zahl said:

DRD :)

sh... quiet, whatever the answer will be, DRD wins!

Designed for a specific source port, but still Doomish, with completely vanilla one with superb architecture and such as a close second. I don't like so much the wads that are all scripted up with messages and puzzles and hubs and stuff like that, nor TC's. I just want good old pull switch, find key, blow demons' brains out action, but source port features are fine with me as long as they don't interfere in that.

Good wads that don't require any port. Or else ones that just require removal of limits and/or Boom features, if that's necessary to achieve particular effects.

The main thing though is that the gameplay should be good (challenging, varied, etc.). Otherwise, it's kind of pointless.

completely vanilla one with superb architecture and such

I think, this is impossible due to engines limitations, unless you're consider megawads like Eternal Doom as such a think. Btw. a megawad I liked to play very much, and I think, it is pretty close to the limits.

designed for a port, but has almost nothing to do with original Doom

Where would be the point. There are far more advanced engines doing that kind of stuff. Sure stuff like Alien TC were nice back than, but nowadays, no one would bother doing that with such an antique engine.

Hence I voted for the remaining one. A modern megawad should always remind me on playing Doom in some aspects at least. Also it should heavily make use of the enginges' advanced functionality they are designed for.

Grazza said:

Good wads that don't require any port. Or else ones that just require removal of limits and/or Boom features, if that's necessary to achieve particular effects.

The main thing though is that the gameplay should be good (challenging, varied, etc.). Otherwise, it's kind of pointless.

I have got to agree. Good wads don't require a port but can be run with one if desired.

Classic gameplay is the most important thing, and with any luck it might look good too.

In a game ten years old I look forward too interesting new ideas, things that have never been tried before. No matter how nice it may look, I'm really tired of Tekbase, Hellbase, Woodbase, gothicbase... and I probably won't play it. With an engine as simple as DooM's to edit, we see FAR more creative ideas than any other project. Will you ever see Voids, RTCs, Action DooM's, Doom Raiders, Massmouths, Batmans, or for that matter anything else with that kind of variety and fun gameplay in any other game's addons?

Absolutely not. The time required to make "Batman Half Life" compared to DooM is so incredible, that nobody would bother. Ease of editing allows for more flexibility and wild ideas than any other, because there's actually a possiblity it could be finished.

I look forward to seeing new and exciting things that people will make, and as cool as they may look, am tired of sterile doom styles. There are already so many, I'm generally uninterested.

Scuba Steve said:

In a game ten years old I look forward too interesting new ideas, things that have never been tried before.

I look forward to seeing new and exciting things that people will make, and as cool as they may look, am tired of sterile doom styles. There are already so many, I'm generally uninterested.

My adventure should be something grand and new. I certainly haven't seen any doom mods that are like it. (maybe there is a reason for that though)

Doomish would be allright, but I'm kind of tired of the same mindless action over and over again. I'd like to see something new and cool. New enemies and new guns, not just the old doom guns redone to shoot faster.

Carnage said:

Doomish would be allright, but I'm kind of tired of the same mindless action over and over again. I'd like to see something new and cool. New enemies and new guns, not just the old doom guns redone to shoot faster.

I don't know about other source ports, but zdoom does this well. Right now the ability to create your own monsters and define their properties and such is present. Next release will allow new weapons to be made.

LogicDeLuxe said:

Where would be the point. There are far more advanced engines doing that kind of stuff.

Yes, but they all require uber-1337 machines with hardware acceleration, take ages to load, might be unstable, are totally linear, have no intense action and don't have the fast, hard gameplay that DooM has.

The whole point of wads like Batman DooM, Chosen, LTSD, Massmouth 1/2, Daedalus etc. is to create something different with a simple, reliable engine that's easy to edit for (unlike the newer engines) and maintaining the fun factor that DooM has. Having built one of those wads myself, I knew what I wanted to do (bring the modern FPS-style of missions, atmosphere etc. into DooM and combine it with the action, gameplay etc. that we all know and love) and I knew I could do it because of how easy it is to make the maps. There would've been no point whatsoever of building it for Quake 2 or Half-Life - it would've taken forever and it would've been impossible to recreate the DooM gameplay in one of those engines.

Plus, as Scuba says, there's more than enough 'classic' wads out there with the usual attributes, let's see something different.

KoRn said:

I don't know about other source ports, but zdoom does this well. Right now the ability to create your own monsters and define their properties and such is present. Next release will allow new weapons to be made.

And this will encourage the creative ZDoom mappers to come up with even more cool stuff that's not been seen before. Variety is the spice of life.

LogicDeLuxe said:
I think, this is impossible due to engines limitations, unless you're consider megawads like Eternal Doom as such a think. Btw. a megawad I liked to play very much, and I think, it is pretty close to the limits.

Architecture is a term related to aesthetics, and aesthetics are very standard-related. If you consider realistic standards, most DOOM wads, no matter what engine they use, thoroughly fail it compared to other newer games' engines. Similarily, you don't necessarily judge a limitless DOOM add-on map the same way as a limited one unless you can't somehow appreciate the limited standard.

For instance, to me the aesthetic value of a limitless map instantly loses worth since what is being done is not possible to compare to the limited standard, which is something I constantly measure as a player and a designer. It's like something that achieved an effect in a vapid, impossible manner; so it's not too appealing.

That doesn't mean I can't compare limitless maps, at least when they have been made for the same engine base. For example, I consider the Vrack series to have way better architecture than P:AR (both well-known Boom wads) since I'll take a good overall design with decent proportions over something aiming for realism and using lots of small scale detailing and papery tricks anyday.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Yes, but they all require uber-1337 machines with hardware acceleration, take ages to load, might be unstable, are totally linear, have no intense action and don't have the fast, hard gameplay that DooM has.

The build engine comes to my mind. It's amazingly fast (as it was the only engine, I could play in 640x400 with a reasonable framerate on my old Pentium 90 back then, not counting in Shadow Warrior which doubled the requirements with its portal rendering), textfile definitions, slopes, hires-textures/sprites as you can resize them as you like. 3D-Floors build of flat sprites (not like all those "grated" fake bridges in Doom pwads), and thakfully to the absence of bsp, you could overlap sectors as you desire (which is quite uncommon in a 2.5D engine) and morph the sectors far more flexible than even polyobjects could do.
This definately would my first choise, when it comes making a TC for low resource PCs.

And talking about gameplay, I found the bosses in Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior far more difficult to beat than those of Doom. Though this is of course no matter of the engine. Except from Plutonia, I actually didn't found original Doom maps that hard.

And Daedalus, I consider still Doom, not a TC, as there are still all those original bad guys in there. TeamTNT merely added a lot of athmosphere and enhanced the gameplay with the scripting and other zdoom stuff. I like that a lot, and I don't see a reason, doing such a thing on a different engine. Zdoom was a good choise for that one.
Only thing, I don't like there is, I get even more lost that in Eternal Doom.

I wish more people would make Heretic and Hexen maps, IMO, those games are just as good as Doom(2), and, depending on who you ask, even better.

I would say vanilla doom with a limit-removing port ((Pr)Boom, MBF, legacy, zdoom, edge, etc, etc, etc. If it’s Port Specific it has to have a reason to be, either architectural or feature (scripting for example) wise.

Scuba Steve said:

stuff

werd up homeslice

SCUBA STEVE FOR PRESIDENT

Scuba Steve said:

Doom boredom propaganda

Well, unless someone makes a new set of textures for Doom, we'll be stuck with the same themes over and over. Of course someone could just make a mishmash of themes together or just randomly use textures to avoid boredom....but wouldn't that be a n00b map?

Chris Hansen is doing that in his In A World map, and it looks pretty good so far.

DooMBoy said:

I wish more people would make Heretic and Hexen maps, IMO, those games are just as good as Doom(2), and, depending on who you ask, even better.

Well, the good news is that I do have a (ZDoom) Hexen project in the pipeline. The bad news is that it won't be started until SSD is finished.

Job said:

Well, unless someone makes a new set of textures for Doom, we'll be stuck with the same themes over and over. Of course someone could just make a mishmash of themes together or just randomly use textures to avoid boredom....but wouldn't that be a n00b map?

http://www.doomworld.com/afterglow/textures.shtml

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Well, the good news is that I do have a (ZDoom) Hexen project in the pipeline.

Hooray