Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Melfice

Batman Begins

Anyone a fan of Batman? I am, sorta.

Well then you'll all be glad to hear what I'm about to post, if you didn't already know about it:

According to Super Hero Hype's website, Ken Watanabe is confirmed to portray Ra's Al Ghul in the new Batman movie. Many people should recognize Watanabe from The Last Samurai. He is also nominated for the Best Actor in a Supporting Role award for the movie at this year's Oscars. So, here's the line-up as it stands:

Christian Bale - Bruce Wayne/Batman
Ken Watanabe - Ra's Al Ghul (main villain)
Michael Caine - Alfred Pennyworth
Cillian Murphy - Unknown though rumored to be playing the Scarecrow/Dr. Johnathan Crane
Katie Holmes - Rachel (woman from Bruce's past)
Morgan Freeman - Lucius Fox (advisor to Bruce Wayne in Wayne Enterprises)
Liam Neeson - Ducard (Bruce's mentor from Wayne Enterprises)

The only person who has not been cast is Commisioner or Lieutenant James Gordon, though Dennis Quaid is rumored for the role. There are also rumors that we may actually see Harvey Bullock in this movie along with a young Harvey Dent.

From Super Hero Hype's Batman Page:

Warner Bros. Pictures made the following official announcement today, which includes the news that Gary Oldman will play Jim Gordon in Batman Begins...

"Batman Begins," director Christopher Nolan's highly anticipated film, has commenced production in Iceland, with Gary Oldman joining the all-star cast. The announcement was made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

In "Batman Begins," Oldman will play Lieutenant James Gordon, a detective on the Gotham police force. The film stars Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman; Michael Caine as his trusted butler Alfred; Katie Holmes as Rachel, a childhood friend of Wayne's; Liam Neeson as Wayne's mentor, Henri Ducard; Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox, a former board member and sidelined employee of Wayne Enterprises; and Ken Watanabe as the villainous Ra's Al Ghul.

Directed by Christopher Nolan from a screenplay by David Goyer and Christopher Nolan, "Batman Begins" is produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Larry Franco. The executive producers are Ben Melniker and Michael Uslan. The film is based on characters created by Bob Kane and published by DC Comics.

"Batman Begins" is scheduled to film in Iceland, London and Chicago.

The film, which explores the origins of the Batman legend and the Dark Knight's emergence as a force for good in Gotham, will be released worldwide in Summer 2005 by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

I'm quite pleased with the way it's turning out myself, Ra's Al Ghul has always been my favorite Batman villain. And the Scarecrow kicks ass.

Hopefully this won't suck ass like the last two Batman movies. Personally, I think Gary Oldman is a pretty good actor, and I heard about him being cast as Comissioner Gordon. He was awesome as Zorg in The Fifth Element, and was good in Dracula and JFK as well.

I'm hoping that the presence of Morgan Freeman means this will be another dark Batman film like the first two, but with Michael Caine and Katie Holmes also in it I'm not quite so sure...

The third movie wasn't bad, but the fourth one did, in fact, reek of unwashed, week old gym socks. It was one of Arnold Schwarzenegger's worst movies.

Submerge said:

Fun fact: The batsuit gets about 20lbs heavier with each movie.

Yeah, the fourth one had a 10-lb nipple on each side of the chest.

Ichor said:

The third movie wasn't bad, but the fourth one did, in fact, reek of unwashed, week old gym socks. It was one of Arnold Schwarzenegger's worst movies.

They truly fucked up Bane. As for the forth one, I didn't realize Ras Al Ghoul was asian. Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman are the only two redeeming factors in the movie for me.

The director of the last two Battie movies enjoyed coloured lighting... I hope this new Batman returns to the dark, Tim Burton-esque type. Batman Forever was cool in its own right, but Batman and Robin was so over-the-top corny It made me hate Batman for the longest time.

Please dont screw this one up...please...

darknation said:

manman > batman

No, I think You want the FLESH COLORED bath!

*shivers in disgust at the memory*

Submerge said:

No, I think You want the FLESH COLORED bath!

*shivers in disgust at the memory*

ROFL

That episode was fucked up. Wasn't that also the one where they had the weiner and the hot dog bun?

Scabbed Angel said:

They truly fucked up Bane. As for the forth one, I didn't realize Ras Al Ghoul was asian.

He isn't. He's from Egypt I believe.

Lengis said:

He isn't. He's from Egypt I believe.

That is correct :) As a matter of factg, "Ra's Al Guhl" is arabic for "The Demon's Head."

Tim Burton = gud
Joel Schumacher = teh suk

This one is directed by Christopher Nolan who hasn't directed very many movies but one of them is Memento which I haven't seen but I heard was quite good. He also directed Insomnia, which I did see (it was alright; Al Pachino yelling a bunch (as always) and Robin Williams acting creepy). Either way it looks like it could be pretty cool since Schumacher has nothing to do with it, which is a plus in my book.

Cyb said:

Tim Burton = gud
Joel Schumacher = teh suk

Fully agreed. The Burton films were awesome, but the Schumacher ones were crap. To quote Clerks the cartoon: "Man, Batman and Robin was gay". :P

Unfortunately, Tim Burton is making a remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Or Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, whatever the movie was called) with Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka. Hopefully, the new Batman director will be able to do a good job, and Depp will be able to match Gene Wilder's acting ability.