Sign in to follow this  
Kristian Ronge

AV map 17 trick jump

From the .txt ->

"This is an old trick for "Nukefall" I found waaaay back already when I was
playing the first version of AV. Looking through Google's Usenet archive,
I find myself mentioning the trick in a post to alt.games.doom in February
of last year (2003) as a side note.

I forgot to post this demo previously; don't know why it slipped my mind.
Anyways, I've had exits as low as 11 seconds using this trick (this demo
is a bit slower, though, at 17 seconds). It all depends on how willing the
Arch-Viles are to cooperate.

Anyway, as usual I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this, it's
a fairly easy Arch-Vile jump. I have done it in plain Doom 2 as well, but
there more precision in timing is required of the player to get over the
bars."

Recorded in ZDooM 1.22. Enjoy.

AV map 17 trick jump

yeah, you guys (with Win98 or VM under Linux) should really go for it before Sedlo does an optimal :)

btw cool trick Kristian. Could you do it using PrBoom instead of ZDoom ?

Who? ME? ;-)

Well, as I said in the .txt it's much harder to do in PrBoom/Doom2.exe because you're not shot as high up by Arch-Viles as in ZDooM.

I clearly recall having being able to do it at least on one occasion, though, probably more than a year ago when I first discovered the trick. I took my time, IDDQD'd me and patiently waited for the perfect opportunity. To be able to do it in vanilla Doom on request is beyond my feeble skills, I'm afraid, Vince. :-/

You could always try it yourself. You'll probably pull it off in less than 15 minutes, Mr. D2S! ;-D

OTOH... on UV there're ... what? 6 Arch-Viles there behind the bars? so it should be little problems to trigger a double-attack which will throw you higher and further. As long as you have the health/armour to survive it (I thought of the possibility to jump all the way into the finish, but it seems impossible).

This, I guess, is one of those tricks that may be most useful in a multi-level TAS run.

Nice trick! Someone finally found a use for the annoying heights archvile's throw you!

Thank you.. I'm glad you liked it!

If you want to see someone who's an expert in Arch-Vile jumps though then you could check out some of Eugene Kapustin's demos.

Most notably TNT map 30 pacifist(!) or AV map 23 speed.

And of course there are tons of other jaw-dropping Arch-Vile jumps, Plutonia map 24 in 17 seconds (subject to change when Adam H finishes the next Compet-N update) is one of the latest amazing demos by one of the all-time greatest players.. ever.. Sedlo.

(And if you want to see just how high up in the air you can get shot you could always look at my flying lesson.) ;-)

Heheh.. Yeah, that one rules too (I voted for Cameron's run with the trick to win the Golden Cybers..).

Damn, I should make a "Top 100 Arch-Vile Jumps" list. Regardless of map, playing style, or port.. All demos considered. Just the best damn AV jumps ever. It'll be very subjective of course, but...

Nice trick. I tried to see if I should do it on skill 4, but it ended up shitty. :P

Dron said:

Nice trick! Someone finally found a use for the annoying heights archvile's throw you!

Welcome back to 96