Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naitguolf

Java DooM

Naitguolf said:

Will be ever a Java DooM so i can play DooM at work?...

Probably not. I can't see any sane programmer porting this code to such a restrictive programming language.

Check this.

It's the winner entry of 5k webpage contest. It's actually a simulation of Wolfenstein and keeping in mind that the code is only 5 kilobytes it's amazing.

Naitguolf said:

Well, a DooM for Nokia 7650 was released (pretty Good) Was made using Java?

No. That was made in C++. Fortunately the modern cell phones almost all support C++ development so it's likely we're going to see much better games on them. Java is really much too limited for this. Think about 90% of your execution time stolen by the Java runtime system. It's pathetic.

Donce said:

Check this.

It's the winner entry of 5k webpage contest. It's actually a simulation of Wolfenstein and keeping in mind that the code is only 5 kilobytes it's amazing.

that is Amazing.... and it's SCRIPT! The best script I've seen in a while! :thumbsup:

deep said:

Actually somebody did do a DOOM display in JAVA. As well as a Quake display. Both were very well done and ran at an acceptable speed. The DOOM guy was having a fun contest with his friend who did the Quake version. Do a search, since it was last year I think that this came up.

Edit: Found this for Q2

http://barryp.org/software/q2java

http://planetquake.com/q2java/

On a fast PC it should be possible. After all, Doom was developed for systems that ran at less than 5% the speed of today's computers. So a loss of 90% of your system's performance isn't that bad.
IMHO it's still a waste of time to try something like that. Java was never meant to be used for high performance graphics processing.

Graf Zahl said:

I want Java to disappear. God, how I hate this language!

Yes! Java must die.

Anyone remember that Flash doom?, i never played it at the time it was 'hot', but from what i heard it had cool dynamic lighting and good graphics