Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ShadowRunner

Monster kill triggers?

I remember in Doom, Hell revealed, and some other megawads that whenever you killed a cybie or some monster a trigger such as floor lower/raise/exit level would occur. How can i set this in doombuilder?

ShadowRunner said:

I remember in Doom, Hell revealed, and some other megawads that whenever you killed a cybie or some monster a trigger such as floor lower/raise/exit level would occur. How can i set this in doombuilder?

Not at all. The monster actions are tied to the levels where they occur in the original levels (E1M8, E2M8, E3M8, E4M6, E4M8 and MAP07)
In E1M8, E4M6, E4M8 and MAP07 you can tag the sector with 666 (or 667 for the Arachnotron action in MAP07) to create the same effect. If you want more flexibility you need a source port which supports it (ZDoom and Vavoom do because they use Hexen's map format which offers a lot more options regarding this.)

As Graf Zahl said: Plain Doom has hard coded those actions to certain levels and therefor is very restricted with them. In ZDoom's Hexen map format, there you can trigger anything on a monster's dead case what you also can do with a line trigger. You don't even need scripting for that.

Btw. in original Doom you actually have to kill all monsters of its kind in order to trigger those specials, ie. there are two Baron of Hell to be killed in E1M8. If this is what you want, you can activate those specials in the mapinfo lump in Zdoom for any map.