Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mogul

DOOM 3 is "really close" says Carmack

Speaking on the belief that next-gen architecture will be structured around more than one processor, he continued: "I'm not thrilled with these directions; we've had several generations showing [multiple processors] don't work."

Would a math coprocessor count? If so, I think he owes a lot to it.
Other thread closed before I replied...

Numbermind said:

Would a math coprocessor count? If so, I think he owes a lot to it.
Other thread closed before I replied...

I don't think he could've meant the math processor. I mean, basically the entire physics engine is run by the math program.

And - math processors have been in use for a long time. In fact, it seems like I remember in the minimum system requirements for the first Quake that a math processor was absolutely required.

And on the other topic being closed - I think that's a little weird. Considering it was the same link, I can kind of understand - but this thread is clearly about the release of DOOM 3 while the other was about another topic entirely.

But anyway - it would be nice to see Carmack actually update his .plan instead.

Carmack said that for id's next title he would be turning to his existing portfolio, stunning attendees with word of a "Quake 2 remix, where we don't have to redo everything. This way people get more value from current technology."

WTF?

Updating old titles like Q2 with Doom3 graphics is a lame idea IMO. I enjoy the work community modding teams like Blurr do to upgrade Q2´s graphics, but if a professional developer does just that to re-release an old title, I can see no reason why I should buy it.
It will get a lot of bad press for id Software as well, because everyone can say that it is un-inventive and backwards, etc.

Although Quake 2 is a cool game, I'd love them to do something completely new and perhaps even revolutionary.

And in another article at Homelan Fed, Carmack says..

"Carmack revealed that he and id thought about, and then dropped, a plan to revisit Quake II, remaking the same exact game but use an all new graphics engine as a way to show off the engine without having to concentrate on game development."

Well, wtf. Also, Carmack says in this article, that Doom 3 is 'pretty close' to shipping. I guess it's all a matter of interpretation.

mje said:

I don't think he could've meant the math processor. I mean, basically the entire physics engine is run by the math program.

And - math processors have been in use for a long time. In fact, it seems like I remember in the minimum system requirements for the first Quake that a math processor was absolutely required.

And on the other topic being closed - I think that's a little weird. Considering it was the same link, I can kind of understand - but this thread is clearly about the release of DOOM 3 while the other was about another topic entirely.

But anyway - it would be nice to see Carmack actually update his .plan instead.

No, he didn't meant math co-processor. Current CPU's have math processor already integrated into the chip. That is why old 386 PC's needed special co-processor. 486 CPU's came already in 2 versions SX and DX (with integrated math processor). That is why you cannot play Quake with 486SX.

Carmack meant muti-processored platforms. They are basically identical CPU's in one (multi socketed) MoBo working together.

Carmack said other aspects of games, like physics and AI, could become more important

He probably meant "should".

EDIT: from gamespy.com

The last area of game development Carmack talked about was AI, and on this topic the programmer revealed one id's main strategies when making games. "If you're not going to try and solve something really well, try and dodge the issue as completely as possible," said Carmack. "Character interaction is hard, and if you start making characters look really, really good, but they still act like cardboard cutouts, it's an open question whether that's a good direction to pursue."

Does this mean they have solved the AI really well?

Carmack admitted that their success in creating the first person shooter genre has also created a Catch-22 for the company as people expect more of the same from id with little room for branching out into other genres.

What do they care? I mean if they have a good and revolutionary idea, that is not FPS, I quess all the id fans will support them. I will say this directly to John: "Don't be shy, do whatever you feel is good. I mean you're not anylonger in it for the money"

EDIT from gamespy.com

On that topic, Carmack mentioned that they were hoping to re-use some of the assets created for DOOM 3 to help speed up development of whatever they do next, but even that would have a tradeoff. "That sort of gives us a restriction on our possible game designs," said Carmack, "it would have to be some present-day or near-future thing where we can re-use the fire extinguisher or wastebaskets or things like that on the game."

Well this seems to contradict the homelanfed quote.

Well, that final bit didn't make much sense. Why would they use the exact same fire extinguisher in another game? Or did I just misinterpret that part completely?

Disorder said:

Well, that final bit didn't make much sense. Why would they use the exact same fire extinguisher in another game? Or did I just misinterpret that part completely?

The would like to re-use some of the assets to shorten development time.

I have the same feeling. I'd say we'll be playing Doom by the end of next month.

"Really Soon" That really sounds like they are tying things up.
Already they are mentioning their next project (I am very happy the is going to be a next project)

It's gotta be shipped in the next few weeks.

April 15th I hope.

This is good news.

why didnt they tell us that iot was close when they were interviewed at the audio thing in califo.?

april 15th indeed. nfl draft and doom, this is excelent news. if everything carmack says is true, then not only is it almost done, but the xbox version will indeed be as close to simultaneous release as possible. he didt say as soon after as possible, as close to simultaneous. this more than makes up for all the delays.

Let's hope so, although remember that game companies can be notorious for saying "pretty close" and then waiting another year... Oh no, that's Valve, sorry. I was actually waiting for HL2 to come out on 9/30, and now it has been 7, almost 8 months? About 2 months ago someone from Valve (Lombardi?) said that there would be a Half-Life2 SDK "in the next few weeks." It has been more than "a few weeks." He probably meant in the next 30 - 52 weeks. Anyways, I trust id software to get their title out "soon" as they have always been (for the most part) punctual with their releases.

Thank god I pre-ordered! Although, April 15 is still pretty iffy. It would have to go gold within the next 10 days!

this is kinda odd tho. i mean the all-conservative bungie studios gave us a halo2 release date well in excess of six months ahead of time.

if it is april 15, dont you think its odd that id did not tell us earlier? I mean its within a month, and altho the april15 date was supposedly form activivision, even they struck it down, something the publishers arent known for doing. is this confusing anyone else?

Stealthy Ivan said:

Quake 2 sucks.....
This is a bad idea.

Check out the rest of the thread - apparently they did away with the idea of remaking Quake II. Personally, I'm a bit dissapointed, but on the other hand, it would be pretty cool for them to branch out and do a completely new franchise. And I'd bet it'd be COMPLETELY different, even if it's first person. Adrian Carmack has been dissatisfied with doing marines-with-rocket-launcher games for the past ten years in a row. I look forward to seeing what's next. :)

Also - Carmack has hinted that it will be pretty imminent (sp). How else can you interpret "really close" or "pretty close" or whatever he said?

If he is speaking in pretty literal terms, April 15 could be a possibility. But my guess is early May now.

Sorry but I seem to be a bit confused here...
I thought Quake4 is supposed to be a re-telling of the Stroggos War (Quake 2)

Am I wrong?

My understanding was that Quake IV is a continuation of Quake II's story. Like a real sequel. Quake II-2, if you will.

Dubh said:

Sorry but I seem to be a bit confused here...
I thought Quake4 is supposed to be a re-telling of the Stroggos War (Quake 2)

Am I wrong?

Quake IV will continue the story from Quake 2. It will once again pit you against the Strogg and it will take place after the events in Quake 2 (I believe this was all in the official statement - always read the official sources instead of forum people's ranting/babbling).

So QIV is a real sequel, Doom 3 is a retelling - don't mix those two up like way too many people do.

Maybe Quake 2 remix will be a retelling also? i hope so, i loved quake 2, it was the best in the series imo. It would be great to have the story telling, style and overall look of doom 3 in the quake world.
I'm personally looking forward to it. Lectrix gets out his railgun.

Disorder said:

Although Quake 2 is a cool game, I'd love them to do something completely new and perhaps even revolutionary.

I don't think that ID is capable of producing anything revolutionary. They're too deep into traditional design techniques.