Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dron

Doom3 Levels

Will anyone here be making levels for Doom 3? I'd rather stick to mapping for Doom 1 & 2. Doom3 is WAY to damn complex with its 3d enviorment, amazing lighting, etc.

I likely won't be messing with it. I can't imaging trying to figure out all that new lighting stuff that will be expected to be in almost every map (at least unless the game does it all for you).

gatewatcher said:

That's nice.

Learn to read. I was ASKING people on the forums if they were going to map for doom3. Not JUST saying that I probably wouldn't

mje said:

I likely won't be messing with it. I can't imaging trying to figure out all that new lighting stuff that will be expected to be in almost every map (at least unless the game does it all for you).

You drop lights in the editor, move them around the 3D view in real time to see what they look like. Couldn't be more straightforward if you ask me.

I don't know if I'm going to do maps for Doom 3. Depends on the amount of free time I have. Though that E2M2 conversion would be an interesting project.

I have learned mapping with the Quake3 Radiant, and if the Doom3 editor will be like a evolved version of the Radiant (which is most likely), I´ ll definitely will try some stuff for Doom3 and Quake4.

edit: yeah like Flathead says, the new lighting will probably one of the easiest things. The more complicated content probably is all the monster scripting and the in-game UI scripting with it´ s many possibilities.

I too have some experience with Radiant, and I think Doom3 editing is gonna be both challenging and fun.

The biggest challenge will probably be to keep the framerate acceptable.

Tetzlaff said:

I have learned mapping with the Quake3 Radiant, and if the Doom3 editor will be like a evolved version of the Radiant (which is most likely)

It WILL. Hmm... maybe il make a level or two its probably fun and afterall what's the point of paying $59.99 for only a week of play?

Dron said:

It WILL. Hmm... maybe il make a level or two its probably fun and afterall what's the point of paying $59.99 for only a week of play?

Replayability. It'll last longer than just a week if it's good.

dsm said:

Replayability. It'll last longer than just a week if it's good.

Yeah you're right dsm. With the advanced pysics engine and per-poly hit damage you can do something different anytime. (eg: shoot a zombie in his stomach instead of his head.)

Plus there will be loads of replayability if people manage to throw together remakes of the doom 1 & 2 wads, even final doom. So if that happens i'll be on it for months.

Lectrix said:

Plus there will be loads of replayability if people manage to throw together remakes of the doom 1 & 2 wads, even final doom. So if that happens i'll be on it for months.

Damn that'll be fun! Playing the whole doom again. Walking through the UAC bases working on computer consoles in Episode 1. Blasting through bases subverted into hell's reality in episode 2. Going through hell and back in episode 3. Doing something in episode 4. Saving Earth in Hell On Earth. And playing final doom again. Using the doom3 engine! Someone should seriously convert Doom Millenium when its done to Doom3

I can't make Doom 1 or 2 maps (I'm pathetic).
So I will definately want to learn how to do Doom 3's.
I wanna map so bad but The BH has filtered out most of the tutorials and programs.

Dron said:

Learn to read. I was ASKING people on the forums if they were going to map for doom3. Not JUST saying that I probably wouldn't

That's cool.

Dron said:

Yeah you're right dsm. With the advanced pysics engine and per-poly hit damage you can do something different anytime. (eg: shoot a zombie in his stomach instead of his head.)

Plus, you can use the physics in "creative ways" to kill monsters according to Id - such as roll a barrel down a sloping surface at incoming monsters, then shoot the barrel when it gets near them and kill them that way.

Doom 3 is supposedly going to be much more than just ragdoll physics together with per-poly hit detection - you might be right that Doom 3 won't have much replay value, but why judge it beforehand? As for me, I prefer to believe that Doom 3 will rock, because it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, despite the risk that all you doomsayers (heh) might turn out to be right after all.

dsm said:

per-poly hit detection.

Does that mean if it hit say, the mecha legs of a pinky it would have a different effect than if you hit it in the flesh?

Janderson said:

Does that mean if it hit say, the mecha legs of a pinky it would have a different effect than if you hit it in the flesh?

Yes and dsm I said I changed my mind and now agree with you that doom3 has a big reply value.

Janderson said:

That wasn't the way I understood it, but it may end up being in the game anyway.

The way I understood all those bells and whistles surrounding the per poly hit detection itself was that it would be harder to hit targets since a bullet can now travel through the empty space between the enemy's legs instead of registering as a hit.

Combined with ragdoll physics, this means that the enemy's pain animations will depend on where you hit them - a bullet to the face will jerk the head backwards, a hit in the midsection will cause the enemy to keel over, etc.

Dron: Sorry, I thought you were being saracastic - your post seemed to reek of sarcasm ;-)

Sweeeet, and of course an explosion will send the bastards sailing! I really want to watch a crowd of zombies scatter!

Does anyone here replay for the story alone? Thats why I still play the Metal gear and Final Fantasy series over and over.

such as roll a barrel down a sloping surface at incoming monsters, then shoot the barrel when it gets near them and kill them that way.

Heh, i remmeber on max payne 2, my brother set light to a barrel then pushed it off a walkway, it fell down amongst some enemies and exploded, killing them

Janderson said:

Does anyone here replay for the story alone?

Depends.
I tend to play a story-driven game with some consideration for the story, but I'm usually prune to forget or not pay enough attention to things the first time, so the second time is usually an attempt at following up on what I missed.

If the story is good, I tend to immerse myself in it most of the times I play. If the story is kinda meh, I ignore it after the first two or three times.

Doom3's story is written by Matthew Costello according to various sources. Why would you want to reply the game if you know what's going to happen. (Eg: The end, plot twists, etc.)

Dron said:

Doom3's story is written by Matthew Costello according to various sources. Why would you want to reply the game if you know what's going to happen. (Eg: The end, plot twists, etc.)

Well. So far I've played through KotOR 4 times and I'm currently on my 5th. If the story is good enough and the game plays well...you'll want to revisit it again and again. I doubt D3 will be on par with KotOR in the aspect of "storytelling", though. I'm sure the D3 atmosphere will be mind-blowing, though.

Shaviro said:

I'm sure the D3 atmosphere will be mind-blowing, though.

Yeah and the dynamic-perpixel lighting will only help make a great atmosphere. From reading the voice-acting article it had a part about a guy screaming "DON'T LEAVE ME HERE! DON'T! DON'T!" And we've all heard about the part where you're looking into a mirror and a pink demon jumps you from behind. Atmosphere and lighting are doom3's biggest features.

Yeah you gotta love those shadows, i hope doom 3 maps arn't going to be to restricted when it comes to wide open area's. I'd personally like to see some actual mars levels that take place outside, not just inside. But its a shame you won't get mass open monster battles like in doom 2.

Dron said:

Yeah and the dynamic-perpixel lighting will only help make a great atmosphere.

Just FYI, the lighting doesn't use per-pixel dynamics.

I can't imagine there will be a very big mapping community for Doom 3, since maps take so fucking long to make for new engines. Or should I say not a very big decent mapping community.

multiplayer might also keep you busy for a little while, but I understand why it might only last a week for you.

I don't reckon level editing in Doom3 will be too hard, I think the visual features (especially stencil shadows) might even make it easier to produce a decent looking map. Like anything else though, refining it to a high degree will probably take a lot of mastering.