Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lengis

Where is Doom 3 going to take place? Phobos, Deimos, or Mars?

I keep hearing Mars, but from what I remember, the original doom took place on one of the moons. The portals were there, which is the source of all the demons, so why would it take place on Mars?

Shaviro said:

Mars. Why?

Because Mars with it´ s majestic planes, monolithic rock formations and sprawling canyons under a crimosn sky is a much better setting for the game then a small, misshaped rock floating in space :)

Tetzlaff said:

Because Mars with it´ s majestic planes, monolithic rock formations and sprawling canyons under a crimosn sky is a much better setting for the game then a small, misshaped rock floating in space :)

hence the "Why not?" part! :P

Yeah but the "why not?" option could also be used to let Doom3 take place on Saturn, Sirius, Stroggos, a hostile planet in another solar system subtly called Hell, or a strange place in a strange dimension ;)

If it's like the original story -

The first part will take place on Phobos, a moon of Mars. The second part will put the player in Deimos, another moon of Mars, which is hovering over Hell, for reasons I don't remember, but I'd guess it was teleported there somehow.

The last part will take place in Hell itself - but I would guess there's a small possibility that the game's finale will take place on Earth.

But it is not like the original story. So far we know that Doom3 will take place on Mars, and in Hell.

The original story took place on Phobos where the player located a gateway that took him to Deimos which was floating above Hell.

Doom 3's story keeps a lot of old elements, but scraps the moons altogether (except perhaps having a routing station on Phobos).

Doom 3 takes place on Mars, because it's a lot more believable that way - remember, Doom 3 is a lot more story-driven this time around (which means they're trying to have the story make a little more sense this time) and Id is also shooting for realism.

Having a space base on a ball of rock which is only about 12 or so miles wide (don't recall the exact size, but it's definitely too small for a base) is not very believable.

Phobos was 12-17 miles in diameter, which is pretty small, but that's just the diameter, not exactly surface area. It's still possible to have a base on such a moon.

Doom 3 takes place on Mars, because it's a lot more believable that way - remember, Doom 3 is a lot more story-driven this time around

I don't know. The original experiment was to have the portal open between phobos and deimos and they would toss things into one side and see it come out of the other. If they change the portal to be placed on Mars, where would the other portal be? Earth? I kinda like the idea of Deimos floating above hell.

mje said:

If it's like the original story -

The first part will take place on Phobos, a moon of Mars. The second part will put the player in Deimos, another moon of Mars, which is hovering over Hell, for reasons I don't remember, but I'd guess it was teleported there somehow.

In the DOOM novels deimos first teleported to hover hell THEN it teleported to hover Earth when the demons invaded it. Demon space craft?

Lengis said:

Phobos was 12-17 miles in diameter, which is pretty small, but that's just the diameter, not exactly surface area. It's still possible to have a base on such a moon.

One that's ridiculously small yes (the moon is too small to have a flat surface large enough for a expansive base), but not one that would be very interesting to explore - consider the level design. Doom 3 is gonna have a vast, expansive base facility and even outdoor areas. Phobos would never be able to offer the same possibilities as far as scenery is concerned.

As far as the gateways go, both portals could be on Mars with a sufficient distance inbetween. The player goes to Hell at some point, but he will have to find a way out of Hell again - the obvious possibility would be the other gate.

But then we're talking about a game that's not released yet - let's wait and see. It may be a different solution altogether.

Yeah ID can adapt the story anyway they like, the portal can go to pluto for all i care. ;D
Its ID's game and story so i'm not gonna be bothered what they make up, aslong as i get to fight the doom cast and do some shadow shooting i'll be more than satisfied.

Delta labs, which means i assume there will be a Alpha, Beta and Gamma labs too because i'm thick as shit and think that those words come from star trek rather than the phonetic alphabet or types of radiation...er...!!!!!!!1

Tetzlaff said:

As long as there is no Lambda Complex I´ m fine with it...

lol :D

I don't know where the story starts, but it would be nice to have a "surprising" ending, like on Earth for instance :)

Yeah, then they'll recreate DOOM2 and market it off as a new DOOM4. Hehe.

Come to think of it, that may be interesting, if it was actually possible.