Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
captmellow

LD50

ICP, Mary Manson, Prince... any musician that feels the need to pomp and primp for hours before a show with makeup artists and costumes needs to pay more fucking attention to their music.

You know, my question re: originality has yet gone unanswered. If Slipknot & Mudvayne are said to be unoriginal, then who has done their sound before? I can tell there's some Korn, but that's it. But I haven't heard much , so I am asking.

I downloaded Slipknot:Purity today, because HateFactor recommended it. All the good stuff in that song comes straight from Nirvana.

Music is not just how you say things its what you have to say. I'll admit, some great fucking songs came out of the seventies that were totally drug induced and didn't mean fuckall but c'mon... I will slit your throat and fuck the wound? This is the best they can do? They sound like whiney little 12 year olds complaining about how their new pubes itch.

Music is not just how you say things its what you have to say. I'll admit, some great fucking songs came out of the seventies that were totally drug induced and didn't mean fuckall but c'mon... I will slit your throat and fuck the wound? This is the best they can do? They sound like whiney little 12 year olds complaining about how their new pubes itch.

Hey, you're basically saying the same things as I do, only I talk about music and you talk about lyrics :)

Well, I mean Christ. Its been over 20 years and there are less than a dozen bands putting out as much effort as Pink Floyd back in the day. Now fuckass bands like N*Sync and Dre are getting all the money...... BOMB CALIFORNIA!!!!!!11

I mean... Stabbing Westward. Not a very popular band. Not a very original band. But DAMN, the effort and flavor they put into their sound is just unmistakeable... and then you listen to a new Metallica album that sounded like it was thrown together in a weekend.... I mean, GAWD, WTF?

Agreed re: Metallica. They have gotten tired & sloppy. "No Leaf Clover" laid to rest any question in my mind as to whether or not they had begun to suck.

I had a friend make me a tape of Load 'cuz I didn't have the cash to run out and get the CD. THANK GOD. That album was so fucking pathetic I busted my tape.

Gimme fuel gimme fire gimme that which I desire? GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY MAGNAVOX YOU RETARD, HOW IN THE NAME OF GOD CAN I PLAY THIS LOUD TO COVER UP THE SOUNDS OF MY BEDSPRINGS WHILE I'M JERKING OFF TO THIS PENTHOUSE FORUM? CHRIST!

liam:

Opinions aren't something you can question. I fully support your right to an opinion. Hell, I support anybody's right to an opinion, as many people here who know me much better then you do already know. I meant nothing by my question of age, I was simply curious. There is nothing wrong or immature about people of any age listening to slipknot, and I don't think I'm any more mature than you because I dont' listen to slipknot. I'm sorry if my question offended you.

And as for the second quote, just ask yourself who exactly is making the assumptions? You know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about me outside of what I say in this forum, so who in the hell are you to suggest such things about me? I'm ignorant, immature, and obnoxious because I see differently than you? Because I dare ask your age? And just where does self-centered come into play? I suggest you learn a little more about a person than their music taste and you take a little more evidence than a simple damned question before you toss insults.

you claim you respect others oppinions and views on certian subjects and don't question them, yet that's exactly what you tend to do...based on your own experience (you say you stopped listening to "clown bands" once you reached maturity), you make an assumptoon that since i like slipknot i must still be a immature kid, while you must be "normal"...the whole "holier than thou" attitude that came into play was pretty aggravating...and i'm questioning you, as that's ecaxtly the same thing you were doing to me - if i can't reach out to you in a "normal" way, it seems i must step down to your level in order for you understand...you say "don't make assumptions against me; get to know me before you say something", well guess what...like i said that's what you were doing to me...

deadnail: if you knew anything about slipknot you'd realize, they pay a lot more attention to their music...the masks, jumpsuits, etc. are just the icing on the cake - but music definetely comes first...i don't care if they come out on stage wearing pink-tutus, as long as the music stays true and good...do you think the band pays attention to their image when their at home writing/recording music? again, if you don't know anything about the band don't comment about it...and about the lyrics you've heard - i'm sorry you can't see past the surface - if you bothered to listen to the whole song you'd notice they fit perfectly, and actually make sense...but dude, if you don't like it fine, just have some respect....

...and i must agree with you on the "new" metallica...ehhh =/

Lament: it seems you're looking for a sort of a super-revolutionary heavy metal band to be revelead (that hasn't really happened since the 80's), but i'd say slipknot are more original than 90% of the shit that's out there right now...i say they are original for their genre (compare them to all of that other mainstream crap), but i guess it's all the matter of oppinion here...and about the 'purity' song: i'm not sure, but i don't hear anything that reminds of nirvana in that song...and that's only one song...then again pretty much everything out therr has been done before, hence the possible similarity you might notice...nonetheless it's a good song :D

one more thing: you're a musician? that's cool dude...but what kind of a musician are you? i think to fully appreciate slipknot's music, you'd have to be a heavy metal musician first and foremost (not just a musician - i didn't specify that last time)...anywho...what do you play?

one more thing: you're a musician? that's cool dude...but what kind of a musician are you? i think to fully appreciate slipknot's music, you'd have to be a heavy metal musician first and foremost (not just a musician - i didn't specify that last time)...anywho...what do you play?

I'm just a musician. I don't play anything, I'm just a musically educated person. I can, or at least I think I can, appreciate any piece of music in any style; after all, the style differencies are mostly superficial. The stuff I like the most: Classical (especially Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky and Bach), Jazz (especially Dexter Gordon and Thelonious Monk), Pink Floyd, The Doors, Massive Attack, Nirvana, Syd Barrett, Janis Joplin, early Metallica, Pantera. I don't have to be a "heavy metal musician" to understand Slipknot. The fact that I listen mostly to Jazz doesn't necessarily mean that I'm retarded.

Don't confuse music with playing it. Music is three arts at once - the art of the composer, of the musician and of the listener. I'm mostly listener, though I play (on a very amateurish level) the guitar, bass guitar, piano, drumset, hand drums, harmonica, some violin; and wrote some shit too =)

It is wrong to think that the effect of certain piece of music is caused by some unknown magic, and is oh so very special and unique to everyone. Most musicians can agree on whether the music is good or bad. Music, after all, creates emotional effect from a bunch of notes on various frequencies - and Being A Musician (tm) is understanding the inner nature of music behind those frequencies, and how the emotional effect is caused. Style has nothing to do with it. Style doesn't matter.

End of rant.

I listened to an interview w/ James Hetfield, & he said that to get material for load they listened through tons of old tape reels of riffs they had improvised while on the road. That succinctly illistrates how they're drying up creatively.

Back in the days of "Ride the Lightning" they were so hungry & tight. I heard that album in '85 & knew they were destined to greatness. Over the years I saw that come to pass.

But, their success has made them lazy. Now they are doing (literally) recycled riffs, Bob Seger covers, & Jethro Tull posturing (S&M), while James explores the sensitive side of his voice.
/me barfs

I have listened to Iowa, about six times actually. There are about a good 12 minutes on that CD that don't disappoint me and only 2 minutes that impress me.

The REAL kick in the balls is that Spineshank just broke up! NOOOOO!!!!!

Metallica isn't just dried up for creativity, they just suck since 1990. I think they should do what Judas Priest did and get a new singer...Of course they'd have to get a new guitarist too if they did that...meh.

lament: well, not necessarily...i agree with you mostly, but i think you need to have a ear for certain things in order to appreciate a particular band/song in it's entirety...for instance, i doubt any jazz or classical muscian would appreciate cannibal corpse's "hammer smashed face", or anal blast's "pussy blood popsicle", etc...well maybe only on the technical side, but not fully...

pilottobombadier: i say they should get a new drummer...

I listen to different music depending on my mood.

Pissed:Break stuff, Terrible, Falling away.
Happy:My axe, Rainbows and Stuff (Its not what you think, its like happy then gets rock), Enter Sandman.
Normal:Any other songs.

Let me repeat this: the fact that I listen to jazz does NOT mean that I'm a retard.
=)
Technical stuff is completely unimportant, too. I listen to the music, not the musician.

Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky and Bach

Bach is so craaap, why not listen to Beethoven? How can you still be listening to Stravinski? His Petrushka was pretty lame considering his earlier works and Bach's Art of Fugue is pretty tame, and there's been no new stuff from him in ages!

liam:

you claim you respect others oppinions and views on certian subjects and don't question them, yet that's exactly what you tend to do...based on your own experience (you say you stopped listening to "clown bands" once you reached maturity), you make an assumptoon that since i like slipknot i must still be a immature kid, while you must be "normal"...the whole "holier than thou" attitude that came into play was pretty aggravating...and i'm questioning you, as that's ecaxtly the same thing you were doing to me - if i can't reach out to you in a "normal" way, it seems i must step down to your level in order for you understand...you say "don't make assumptions against me; get to know me before you say something", well guess what...like i said that's what you were doing to me...

I'm just going to stop arguing with you here. I already apologized if you took my post the wrong way and it offended you. Bottom line is, if I'm such an immature, self centered, ignorant little child, why do you take what I say so seriously? Geez.

Anywho, I've put up a good argument both for and against slipknot and the other "clown bands". So I'll see if I can stop any fighting right here.

Slipknot, Mudvayne, and the others do have some talent and they have great potential, but the bottom line is, pit them against some of lesser-known music on the market today, and not against the "mainstream" MTV bands, and they are HORRIBLE.

Nonetheless, everybody has unique tastes in music, regardless of the bands talent. If everybody was entertained only by good, talented, artistic, and creative bands, then we wouldn't have boy/girl bands and rap. If anybody wants to listen to slipknot just because the slipknot music clicks with them, then don't bash them for it. Let them have their music, not like you have to listen to it.

Bach is so craaap, why not listen to Beethoven?

Err, if you say Bach is crap I'm not even sure you know what you're talking about :P

How can you still be listening to Stravinski? His Petrushka was pretty lame considering his earlier works and Bach's Art of Fugue is pretty tame, and there's been no new stuff from him in ages!

Petrushka was pretty lame, though it's one of his earlier works. Rite of Spring is NOT lame; it might be the best piece of classical music in the tventieth century. Stravinsky is not THE best composer, but I just like him.

liam: fair enough...

lament: the technical aspect most definetely does count in music imo - it helps to show how talented the musician really is...

here's an idea: it's all good. theres not one "genre" that i don't like some music out of. i dont have a favourite genre. i dont like putting music in boxes - i admire music that spans genres. i listen to music i find entertaining, i leave music i dont like the sound of - but i still check it out. if you criticise a single genre you're being blinkered, but if you dont like one particular band thats fine. for example, i dont like slipknot or mudvayne - for musical reasons. given that, i find pretty much every non musical aspect of them laughable, but it probably wouldnt bother me if they were idiots and i liked their music.

i think captain mellow said something about rap music in an earlier thread that was linked from this one .. in fact rap is just a way of delivering lyrics, it doesn't make up a whole genre, or even belong in just one. if so far you find you dislike all hip hop you have heard, try listening to public enemy's 'it takes a nation of millions to hold us back', i'm sure you'll find some merit in it.

Stravinsky

Perhaps if you do like him so much, it would help if you learned to spell his name? :)

Since I'm russian, I have the right to spell his name any way I want :P Stravinsky is a better transcription. But if you want, I can call him Ñòðàâèíñêèé :)

I've got nothing against rap music, & some of the lyrics are good. I suppose I should have specified the gangster rap image/lifestyle in my criticism. IMO all participants in that scene are Darwin awards waiting to happen.