Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m0l0t0v

idea: DoomQuest

Here's an idea I had for a while now.

before I continue:
It's just an idea and NO I'm not asking for help...

THE IDEA:
Wouldn't it be cool to have an online Doom version like Tibia/ Everquest.

Just like in Deathmatch the players could interact with eachother inside a new world. Only this time they wouldn't just be out killing eachother but be on a quest.

To build this new game there is a considerable amount of programming that has to be done. But looking at how far Zdoom has come, I believe nothing is impossible.
The player would have to have a copy of the Doom2.wad, the new maps and the new sourceport.

In theory it should be possible to work with character point to develop a character's skills.

---
Well, that's the idea...
So what do you guys think?
- Can it be done?
- Are there people who would like to see it done?

[edit]I apologize for the poor formulation.[/edit]

I'm making sort of a single player version of this sort of thing. Except I'm not using character growth in an experience way (except for the magic spells).

It can be done though. It may limit those that can play to people with somewhat good computers/connections as it would require multiple scripts to be running all the time.

Main problem is no ports have any sort of player authentication / ability to store info to disk.

No need for it, use ZDoom and keep the data in the Global variables and they are kept for you automatically, as for the menus needed to make/select the properties, wait for my menus acs library, or the extended strife menus of the future versions.

Sphagne said:

No need for it, use ZDoom and keep the data in the Global variables and they are kept for you automatically, as for the menus needed to make/select the properties, wait for my menus acs library, or the extended strife menus of the future versions.

Yes but what if the server restarts

Sorry, I should have benn clearer, the global variables are stored in the save games and are restored as we reload the games, SP or MP.

Turok: The Doom TC

Hunting with tek bows a (technical readouts hud all predator like, hunting partys, futureistic technolagy, being scared (a longtime since that happened on a video game. lush green forests namely, things and textures. a big 1 map world (server for 20 people would be very nice. (perfect quest)

Hey for the interested ones here is an ACS based menu system that I will use in my next projects, usable by any one who likes to make conversations in any ZDoom level, the menu system is independant from the rest.

You'd better decide right now which information would be deemed server-side and clinet-side. Most MMORPG's(besides the actual game CONTENT) limit client-side operations to rendering, while the server-side keeps track of everything including player stats and positions.

Which brings to mind something else: how are you going to store character information? Are you going to rent out space at a server farm for the hell of it?

Sphagne said:

Hey for the interested ones here is an ACS based menu system that I will use in my next projects, usable by any one who likes to make conversations in any ZDoom level, the menu system is independant from the rest.

Hmm.. very interesting. I'd like to see this put to use. The idea behind the project is interesting as well.

Hey thanx a lot, but it will take a little time before it could be shown to the public, currently I am working on textures and sprites but I would have to wait for ZDoom v64 or maybe the next one to be able to work on enemies and other actors as I like, and I have to work on RPG elements scripts in the mean time, and I hope to get some help for the actual level designs, because that would take a lot of time.

ah, so there are people who like the idea!

great

Now, I'm probably being very naive here but what are the odds of getting a team together for this thing?

Are there people out there who believe it could work and willing to invest time/ and effort in it.

We'd need:
1: programmers (for zdoom?)
2: mappers
3: texture artists
4: and of course team leaders

I am making a lot of resource and scripts for my "Elidor" and I think these may come handy for your project as well, so you are welcome to use them when they are ready.

as for mappers and team leaders, well, we have the same problem. ;-)

Heh, I remember mentioning something like this a while back. Good idea either way, though.

I think something like this COULD be possible, but it'd involve a nice big modification of Zdoom for it to work well. I'd imagine there'd be like several servers, set up similar to the way it is in Neverwinter Nights (about 30-40 on one server, each server serving different stuff). Of course, player data and such would go on the server.

I'm pretty sure that if you still wanted to go along with regular Zdoom, the monsters can give XP with a little bit of tweaking in DECORATE.

Wasn't something along these lines already suggested (and even worked on) once? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great concept, and I would love to see it, but I just think the odds of it seeing the light of day are incredibly small.

As long as we miss the talented programmer this actualy cant be done.
My problem is, i dont like OOP, as far as i have seen it zDooM uses it, and i dont posses VCPP because of lack of money.
So, i say, we ask Randy very kindly if he could invest the time introducing no maximum coop limit, persistent hub-server where not all players would have to be on the same map in the hub and saving of player information.
This as a base where we could add rpg stats and inventory.
(Let me be the jailkeeper ^.^)

That was ShadowRunner and Gauntlet Doom.

And I'd script / program for this, should the idea come to life.

EDIT: Also, the EXP system can be done without DECORATE at all, but with a simple script:

#include "zcommon.acs"
#define oldmus "D_RUNNIN" //change this to your liking
#define fanfare "D_FANFAR" //this too

int playerexp=0;
int playerlevel=1;

int deadmonsters_battle1=0;

Script 255 (int exp1, exp2, exp3)
{

deadmonsters_battle1++;
  switch(deadmonsters_battle1)
  {
    case 1:
    case 2:
    Print(s:""); //Dummy command so nothing gets drawn from case 3
    case 3:
    SetMusic(fanfare, 0);
    Print(s:"You won! You get... ", d: exp1 += exp2 += exp3, s:" EXP!");
    playerexp == playerexp += exp1 += exp2 += exp3;
    Delay(35);
    SetMusic(oldmus, 0);
    ACS_Execute(900, 1, 0, 0, 0);

}
}

Script 900 (void)
{

if( playerexp >= nextlevel )
  {

playerlevel++;
    nextlevel += 1000;

}
}
This is suggesting that there are 3 monsters in "battle1" and you're looking towards FF7/FF8/FF9 style battles.

Nobody wants FF style battles for a MMORPFPS, or whatever you want to call it. My idea is that, since you can execute a script in a monsters death sequence, you could execute an EXP script then. That way, Doomish monster killing and EXP at the same time.

lerner said:

Nobody wants FF style battles for a MMORPFPS, or whatever you want to call it. My idea is that, since you can execute a script in a monsters death sequence, you could execute an EXP script then. That way, Doomish monster killing and EXP at the same time.

Isnt there a maximum in how many scripts can be on a map?

Bastet Furry said:

Isnt there a maximum in how many scripts can be on a map?

Yeah, 999 of them to be exact. That's why we have Scripts that take argument lists, like this one:

#include "zcommon.acs"

int playerexp=0;
int playerlevel=1;
int nextlevel=500; //change this to your liking
int nexthealth=10; //change this to your liking
int maxhealth=100;

Script 255 (int exp1) //with this you only need 1 script to gain exp for all monsters (except ones that drop items)
{

playerexp += exp1;
  ACS_Execute(901, 1, 0, 0, 0);

}

Script 901 (void)
{

if( playerexp >= nextlevel )
  {
    playerlevel++;
    maxhealth += nexthealth;
    SetPlayerProperty(1, APROP_HEALTH==maxhealth, APROP_HEALTH);
    nexthealth *= 2;
  //do more level-up shit here
  }

}
I think this would be closer to what you were talking about with "Doom killing and EXP".

EDIT: Updated syntax and cleaned up the code so adding health to max works properly.

Darkhaven said:

Yeah, 999 of them to be exact. That's why we have Scripts that take argument lists, like this one:

Why just 999?
Sounds like there could be at least 32768 scripts as you would need a short to store 999 ;)
(With an ushort you could get 65536 scripts.....)

Darkhaven said:

[...]
Script 255 (int exp1)
[...]

And how do i use that script?
When i atach it to a creature, will it called when the creature dies?

Yeah, attach command 80 to a creature, with the following arguments:

(map number)
(experience you get for this monster)

Also, I don't know exactly why you can only store 999 scripts... Maybe we should bug Randy to convert it to a ushort?

Darkhaven said:

Also, I don't know exactly why you can only store 999 scripts... Maybe we should bug Randy to convert it to a ushort?

Should not break anything.

@Randy: *insert simbas and nalas 'please' here* ;)