Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

These two songs...

As far as I know, for the most part (if not in every case,) Metabolist does not make new music but instead modifies existing MIDIs.

The first starts off kind of sounding like the soundtrack to "Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders". And the second-- jesus, could we get some more tympani sounds in there?!?!

That Momento Mori 2 midi you posted seems to be scrambled, but I can still recognize it. It's map03's music. And you're right about the two sounding similar. The similarity is in the bass riff like you said.

About one of them being used in a Mega Man X game, I don't think so. The music used in the MMX games do use lots of guitar samples in that fashion though.

Yes, it the one from Memento Mori 2 is weird. When I played it in Wintex, it was right, but then when I exported it, it was all wrong. All of the instruments were in the wrong place.

Same thing happened with a song from the Stone wad. It only had bass and drums, but when exported it, it was all weird.

What causes that, anyway?

myk said:

As far as I know, for the most part (if not in every case,) Metabolist does not make new music but instead modifies existing MIDIs.

Ah, that would explain why one of the Plutonia II tunes sounds similar to a well-known DooM tune. (and it landed on one of my maps, too - you'll know it when you hear it)

Bashe said:

What would cause the MIDI scrambling?

I dunno, but they seem endemic to all of Mark Klem's midis.

BTW, to cut through all the bullshit and false allegiations:

MM2: All levels with uneven numbers except Map31 but WITH map30 has mysic by Mark Klem. All levels with even numbers except map 30 has music by Tolwyn.
All music is original except that Tolwyn's Outstretch of Sin (map16) is shock full of Nine Inch Nails quotes (can you find them all).

2002 A Doom Oddysey: As far as I am informed all music is original and is made by Paul Corfiatis, in my opinion one of the better midi artists in the Doom community.

Bashe said:

Same thing happened with a song from the Stone wad. It only had bass and drums, but when exported it, it was all weird.

Bass and drums...

If I'm correct on what wad you're mentioning, that sounds like it's either the midi from map06 or map14, which are both from Requiem. They both scramble up once extracted, especially the one from map14.

Certain midis in certain Doom projects sounding similar is often deliberate; it's simply a way for a musician to pay homage to other musicians. I know for a fact that Tolwyn & Klem are a big influence for Metabolist, and you can tell by listening to his midis that the same is true for Paul Corfiatis. :)

BTW even Tolwyn & Klem sometimes incorporated bits from each others midis in their work. They didn't do it that often, but they did ;).

EDIT: Oh yeah the reason that quite a lot of Klem's midis sound managled in various programs is most likely because whatever it was he created them in doesn't "play nice" with other software. You used to be able to download fixed versions of them off his website, but unfortunately that seems to have disappeared off the face of the internet.

Lutarez said:

Bass and drums...

If I'm correct on what wad you're mentioning, that sounds like it's either the midi from map06 or map14, which are both from Requiem. They both scramble up once extracted, especially the one from map14.

Both of which are also made by Mark Klem.

The only .mus files by Mark Klem that doesn't get jumbled by Qmus2mid are:

Map14 from Memento Mori (1) also found in E2M5 of Cringe.
E2M8 of Cringe.
E2M9 of Cringe.

Funnily enough these three tunes were the only three doom-related tunes by him not found on his (sadly now gone) website.

Little Faith said:

Funnily enough these three tunes were the only three doom-related tunes by him not found on his (sadly now gone) website.

Believe it or not there are several never-before-heard Klem midis in Paradox, which he donated to me in... oh '97 or something :)

Numbermind said:

The first starts off kind of sounding like the soundtrack to "Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders". And the second-- jesus, could we get some more tympani sounds in there?!?!

Thats great. The only time I heard of that game was the obscure reference to it in Maniac Mansion heh.

Also, the level 31 song from Batman Doom (which was the 60s Batman theme song) was jumbled up, too. The drums started a measure early.

A lot of other midis get screwed up once extracted. The midi used in TNT - map02 and map15 is a good example. Yes, I'm talking about the unanimously hated midi on Evilution. It sounds ok through Wintex, but once extracted or played in-game, the bass and percussion volume levels are extremely low leaving only the dist. guitar and square wave melody recognizable.

Another midi from TNT Evilution that frequently screws itself up would be the one played in Steel Works. The percussion channel begins immediately once the midi starts instead of having a 3¾ measure delay like it's supposed to.

Oh! So that's why whenever I played Human BBQ with Doom 95 back in the day (with my horrid synthesizer), only the guitar and square would play!

Duh!

NiGHTMARE said:

I know for a fact that Tolwyn & Klem are a big influence for Metabolist, and you can tell by listening to his midis that the same is true for Paul Corfiatis. :)

I'm an influence to someone? ROFL. I'll have to look that up. Any links?

I've stolen 1 drum track from Klem to time contraints, and I did "Anger Reprise" which was an "official" homage. :)

It's funny. During the writing for MM2, I had JUST picked up NIN's album that has Head like a Hole, etc., and JUST AT THAT MOMENT found out that there is some NIN connection with Doom. I incorporated little motifs of NIN for you guys. :)