Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Recommend a port for PAR.wad

Right, here is the story: I'm keen to finish PAR.wad from start to finish but I haven't found boom compatible a port that will go the distance.

Zdoom is completely unstable, and doesn’t run smoothly at all (zdoom GL is even slower)

Legacy runs VERY slowly on the second level in software mode and in GL mode the second level won't load at all.

Risen3D is unstable and runs slowly.

EDGE... Do I really need to explain this one?

Prboom won't run at all, Glboom dose run quite well, but it's a bit unstable and I miss mouse look.

I'd like a port that will run this Wad with mouse look and a GL mode (preferably). if you can think of a war to get the ports mentioned to run better, I'd like to here them as well.

(NOTE: I'm not bashing these ports I'm just tring to get a demanding wad to work on a buggy and slow computer)

Any suggestions?

It's designed for MBF, IIRC.... which means it wasn't intended for the user to have mouselook.
If you have limited dos support, I'd try to stick with glboom.
good luck.

Ct_red_pants said:

Any suggestions?

In that case: Buy a new computer? Sorry, but if you can't run that WAD with any single source port your system is simply not up to it.
If I may ask, what kind of system do you have?

Anyway, the only ones that will run it at all are:

MBF
Eternity
PrBoom/GlBoom
ZDoom
Risen3D

Everything else won't work because important features are missing.

Graf Zahl said:
In that case: Buy a new computer? Sorry, but if you can't run that WAD with any single source port your system is simply not up to it.

Agreed.

Graf Zahl said:
If I may ask, what kind of system do you have?

P533
256 RAM
Geforce 2 MX400
Windows 98

It's got a lot of problems though. I've done the whole Format C: thing about 20 times without sucess.

Ct_red_pants said:

Agreed.

P533
256 RAM
Geforce 2 MX400
Windows 98

It's got a lot of problems though. I've done the whole Format C: thing about 20 times without sucess.

PAR should run on that. When the first 4 levels were released I had absolutely no problems running it on a similar system. It was a little choppy in the most detailed placed but aside from that it ran fine (with both PrBoom and ZDoom) Something else must be seriously wrong with your computer...

Graf Zahl said:

Anyway, the only ones that will run it at all are:

MBF
Eternity
PrBoom/GlBoom
ZDoom
Risen3D

Everything else won't work because important features are missing.

You forgot SMMU, Skulltag and probably a couple of others.

myk said:

P:AR has MBF specific stuff?

No, but that's what it has been developed on. It might run on Boom but on Legacy and EDGE it will definitely not because both are lacking crucial Boom features for PAR to work.

NiGHTMARE said:

You forgot SMMU, Skulltag and probably a couple of others.

Skulltag is a ZDoom derivative so it's automatically included and probably nobody uses SMMU anymore so it hardly matters.

Graf Zahl said:

Skulltag is a ZDoom derivative so it's automatically included and probably nobody uses SMMU anymore so it hardly matters.

Then Eternity shouldn't have been included either, because it's an MBF derivative (okay SMMU, but that's an MBF derivative)... ;)

NiGHTMARE said:

Then Eternity shouldn't have been included either, because it's an MBF derivative (okay SMMU, but that's an MBF derivative)... ;)

Active derivatives of active source ports are different from picking up a dead project and continuing work on it. :-P

I've tried GLBoom and Eternity, both with favorable results. ZDoom, for some reason, doesn't work too well. I'd recommend using GLBoom over Eternity though, because I like the lighting better in GL mode.

wildweasel-r3000 said:

I've tried GLBoom and Eternity, both with favorable results. ZDoom, for some reason, doesn't work too well. I'd recommend using GLBoom over Eternity though, because I like the lighting better in GL mode.

I'd say you have something wrong with your system. Typical reasons:

Not enough resources (memory), out-of-date drivers, out-of-date window stuff and so on.

The ports you mention are less reliable than ZDOOM or RISEN3D for positive. But both ZDOOM and RISEN3D require more current hardware and software:) Try running REQUIEM map06 for example.

Try Eternity. PAR runs fine (no crashes) with it and the last version supports hires (800x600 and 1024x768) :)

Cya !