Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nmn

New Review Site

Fanatic is planning to make a Doom Map Review Site. You can never have too many of those. Get Your ass over to fanaticalproductions.net and mail him and shout: "Yeah, make that site!" Mail him with cool ideas that would pop in Your heads about the coming site too.

Lüt said:

Race fast safe car

???

Anyway, I see the site will be up soon. Great news. Perhaps someone has a cool name for the new site? If this realizes we'll have a kickass Doom review site.

NoPoet... and his site even doesn't contain screens of levels he reviews :P and we're talking hi-quality review site from Marc here.

Lüt said:

Race fast safe car

Chicken In The Car And The Car Can't Go

I'd like to be able to review maps a time or two, that'd be nice.

I don't think that'd be fair :)

No, I mean other peoples' maps, of course.

In case you aren't taking this post seriously, I am intending to make a wad archive and review site.

The purpose is that every single WAD will be reviewed by someone that will take it seriously, allowing you as a level designer to improve your skills with a helpful review of your WAD and how to improve, and to expose your levels to the world.

I thought about importing a bunch of the old levels from cdrom.com or 3d archives, but that might be a bit much. :)

But for those that wonder how do you get your levels online and noticed, my little site will do just that.

I put more details on my website on what it will do and what it's capable of, so head over there for more details. I'm also looking for reasonable suggestions to make the site more useful as an archival and review site. So feel free to tell me what you have in mind for something like this, as a user, moderator, or level reviewer.

Hellbent said:

someone throw a good deathmatch wad my way to review. I like to write.

GothicDM

myk said:

But we already have NoPoet for that.

NoPoet's a dumbass. Check his review of Mock 2

Dron said:

Exactly.

Great You showed up Marc. At least I am looking forward to see that site. If You need a reviewer You can count on me.

Dron said:

GothicDM

No he wants a good map to review. :-p On my DM level review site if you go to the Review Listing section you'll see maps with their names in blue. Those are maps I haven't reviewed yet, but I've pre-checked and decided it was worth reviewing. Everyone has different taste but you probably don't want to go through all the wads all over again. 90% of the DM maps archived really really really suck. :)

Good luck with the site Marc. I might just put all my reviews on it if for some reason I can't update my site anymore.

Why not combine the force of the reviewing-wads team instead of claiming a little piece of your own kingdom?

(haven't read through all content, so exempt me if someone has already brought this up)

Rellik said:

No he wants a good map to review. :-p On my DM level review site if you go to the Review Listing section you'll see maps with their names in blue. Those are maps I haven't reviewed yet, but I've pre-checked and decided it was worth reviewing. Everyone has different taste but you probably don't want to go through all the wads all over again. 90% of the DM maps archived really really really suck. :)

Good luck with the site Marc. I might just put all my reviews on it if for some reason I can't update my site anymore.

Can I review some of those unreviewed wads, Rellik?

Dron said:

Well, I wouldn't say he's a dumbass (he doesn't seem too bad a guy), but his Mock 2 review sucks, yes. Totally missed the awesome gameplay that makes the wad rock (702 cybers aside) as well as the cool concepts used in it's abuse of ZDoom features.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Well, I wouldn't say he's a dumbass (he doesn't seem too bad a guy), but his Mock 2 review sucks, yes. Totally missed the awesome gameplay that makes the wad rock (702 cybers aside) as well as the cool concepts used in it's abuse of ZDoom features.

He certainly isn't a dumb-ass and I don't think you can judge him on his review of Mock 2.

Anyways this isn't about No Poet or his site. :p I look forward to checking out Fanatic's wad archive and the reviews he plans on doing. It's always a good thing to have an alternate place to check out reviews of Doom maps.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

The only reason I hate him is 'cause he seems to have some kind of giant grudge on doomworld. And im totally sure he never even played past the first map of Mock2. It WAS awesome. [/offtopic]
The more review sites the better. The only good sites we have for reviewing are: Doom Underground, Sir Robin's Doom Castle, /Newstuff Chronicles, SargeBaldy's hardass doom reviews, and some others. I should start my own review site. Good luck Fanatic!

I'm sure that in mentioning NoPoet, myk was engaging in a bit of light-hearted trolling.

The classic NoPoet thread is here. I think everything that needs to be said, was said there.

And good luck with this new review site. Doom Underground and Sir Robin would be good models to follow, IMO.

Dron said:

The only good sites we have for reviewing are: Doom Underground, Sir Robin's Doom Castle, /Newstuff Chronicles, SargeBaldy's hardass doom reviews, and some others. I should start my own review site. Good luck Fanatic!

The trouble is that the first two are rarely updated, and even when they are, it's only big-name wads that are reviewed, and no requests are taken.

The only ones I know of that are more readily updated and do requests are Doom Wad Station (which only covers the early maps of multi-map wads), SargeBaldy's reviews (which focus heavily on bugs/errors in my experience) and Pray for Death (which is controversial, although it's not all bad - on the whole it's a mix of good, bad and average). Metabolist also does requests, but is not updated often.

And of course, none of the above do Heretic or Hexen...

Doom Dude said:

He certainly isn't a dumb-ass and I don't think you can judge him on his review of Mock 2.

I wasn't judging him by that, see above comment. And I know he's not a dumb-ass, just a DooMer with some controversial opinions on some wads. (which I'm sure we all have. I have controversial opinions on some wads, too)

I wasn't judging him by that, see above comment. And I know he's not a dumb-ass, just a DooMer with some controversial opinions on some wads. (which I'm sure we all have. I have controversial opinions on some wads, too)

Actually I was agreeing with you that he's not a dumb-ass. When I said 'I don't think you can judge him on his review of Mock 2' I wasn't pointing at you so sorry about that. I could've worded that a lot better than I did. I just read that topic Grazza pointed out and now I have a headache. :p

I have controversial opinions on some wads as well but I usually don't bother to mention any of that.

Hellbent said:

Can I review some of those unreviewed wads, Rellik?

Absolutely, there's a link at the top of every page for people who want to submit reviews but if you wanted just the actual review would be fine too. It's pretty easy for me to take the screenshot and plug the rest of the info in, it's just the actual review that takes a while. :-)

[offtopic]Why thank you chaps, it's good to know I'm still being talked about. Myk! Darling! How are you? ;p

Actually the Mock 2 review is the best move I ever made as it is 4 times more popular than the second most visited page on my site (the Monsters page). Come on, if I thought Mock 2 was crap I was always going to say so. That's what I do. I removed all names from the review to avoid looking like I was being personal. No-one has ever complained to me about it!

Hopefully you'll agree my other reviews are a lot better today than they were this time last year.

You may be glad to know I have got over myself and when Pray for Death is relaunched in a couple of months time, all mention of the bad stuff in the past will be gone. That's why I came back here - to see how things were after all this time.[/offtopic]

Good luck with the review site, Fanatic! I hope you realise what bloody hard work it is ;p