Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

good god

I'm telling you it works. The trick is to try and focus on a point behind the image. Much more difficult than it sounds, but if you have enough patience and dont mind feeling like an idiot while you stare at your screen you'll eventually get it. The first thing you should notice is the vague outline of the shotgun (although since there isnt much definition, it looks a bit like a cardboard cutout)

edit: I just learned something new about these thingies by accident. It actually relies on your eyes looking at seperate parts of the image - because when I moved the mouse over the picture, there were 2 of them.

My eyes hurt...

Of course "it works," but how is it playable? I can see the 3D-ness of it, but I can't make out anything.

Dont worry, you're only missing out on intense motion sickness and the inability to focus properly afterwards. They were serious when they put the danger warning on the front page, heh.

Awww I always wanted something like this! I even used to take 2 screenies of a doom level (1 for each eye) and then put them next to each other for the 3d effect. It's a huge shame I don't have Quake 2. :( :( :(

Well with the random dots they have you can't tell what the textures and colors are, it would probably be better if they rendered two images next to each other and let the player view those stereographically, it would probably be even cooler.

Heh I remember when I got this magic eye movie out of the library and it was this cool movie with no speech all in stereographic form.

I've never been able to do this. Damn.

That makes three of us. The only thing I ever ended up with was some serious hurt on my eyes.

Sadly (or perhaps fortunately ;)), I'll never be able to "get" a magic eye picture because lack of sight in one eye makes it distinctly impossible. Same goes for 3D glasses.

I guess I'll just have to stick with ol' fashioned 2D displays, at least until holographic technology reaches a more advanced & affordable state :).

I can do them, but they make my eyes blurry after trying to do them.
Trying to play a game and keep it in focus would be a difficult task. It is one of those things that sounds like a good idea (to some people) but in reality is just pointless.

I could never do those neato eye dee-lees, I always used to try them but never got them. :D I tried now, I saw nothing, but, the image starting to wave, like water, very slightly. :D

The way you do it is simple: Cross your eyes so that each eye is looking at a very similar, but yet slightly different pattern on the image. This is the same effect as when you look at patterned wallpaper where you seem to stick your hand through it, but realize that each eye was looking at a differently located but visually identical part of the wallpaper.

chilvence said:
Dont worry, you're only missing out on intense motion sickness and the inability to focus properly afterwards. They were serious when they put the danger warning on the front page, heh.

Heh, yeah. I did manage to see them, but I nearly ended up cross eyed.

I used to not think I could see things like this, but once I realized how it worked I knew I had actually done similar things before (like on a repeating desktop wallpaper). I got the screenshot to work, but I haven't tried the port itself because I think it would be too exhausting.

AndrewB said:

The way you do it is simple: Cross your eyes so that each eye is looking at a very similar, but yet slightly different pattern on the image. This is the same effect as when you look at patterned wallpaper where you seem to stick your hand through it, but realize that each eye was looking at a differently located but visually identical part of the wallpaper.

That doesn't work, because that's what I do. I can cross my eyes to match up the pattern easily, but it creates an awful effect where the perception of depth is reversed. So everything looks like a clay mold to me(what should be concave is convex, and vice versa).

What helps is to focus on a faraway object until your eyes relax in that position. Then look back at the screen while trying not to change your focus.

the easiest way to do these is to look at them behind a reflective surface (if you have a regular crt it will work) so there's some kind of reflection on the screen. Then stare at the reflection of the thing in the glass/monitor instead of the picture (effectivly looking 'past' the screen at the thing 'behind' it). After a bit it should work. I was even able to get my dad to see a couple pictures that way and he was hopeless with these things for years.

Magic Carpet had a magic eye mode about nine years ago.

At 320x200, as I recall it was a little hard to decipher...

This software could cause brain damage, kill an epileptic, create pandomonium globally, or cause irreversable damage to your colon.

I think I'll pass. Don't like dying a lot.

AndrewB said:

I know the method, I just physically can't cross my eyes, just like most(?) people can't wiggle their ears.

I can wiggle my ears, and I can cross my eyes, but I can't seem to hold a definite focus with it like that. Could my nearsightedness have anything to do with it? Could also relate to how my eyes go weak in the evening.

ouch! well i played through the first level, took an age, even knowing the layout, got stuck at a couple of points and had to switch to gl view to figure out where the fuck i was, heh. used positions of sounds a lot to work out where i was, basically same as darkmatch in the end!

NiGHTMARE said:

Sadly (or perhaps fortunately ;)), I'll never be able to "get" a magic eye picture because lack of sight in one eye makes it distinctly impossible. Same goes for 3D glasses.

I guess I'll just have to stick with ol' fashioned 2D displays, at least until holographic technology reaches a more advanced & affordable state :).

Dude, do you wear an eyepatch?

And as for magic eye Quake? I get the feeling that trying it might make me vomit profusely and repeatedly. sorry.