Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AgentSpork

E1M3: Reincarnated

Recommended Posts

I just now finished my E1M3: Reincarnated map, which is my remake of Doom E1M3 (duh). You can get it at my site:

http://doomrealm.d-nation.org/files.html

Some screenies:





NOTE: Screenshots taken with monsters off.

If there is anything wrong that you notice with the map, don't hesitate to let me know, and I'll try and fix it. Comments are appreciated (good or bad, I don't care). Oh yeah, and screenshot 1 has been changed a little bit since I took that screenshot.

Share this post


Link to post

Yes... looks nice.
I'm gonna have to test this out...
Any chances of other Episode one maps done this style, Spork?

Share this post


Link to post
ellmo said:

Yes... looks nice.
I'm gonna have to test this out...
Any chances of other Episode one maps done this style, Spork?


Hmm... Possibly. I'll have to see about that though.

Share this post


Link to post

That was quite nice. One wierd thing though, some textures kinda went berzerk: for example the slimefalls in the first room changed to pictures of the player's face. It's probably a zdoom error. The next time I played the wad, the textures looked just fine.

One other thing, in the blue key room where the lights go out, when the hell knights(what are they doing here?) appear the screen flashes bright red constantly and it really hurt my eyes. Having a smooth glow would work much better I think.

Other than that, I don't think you need to change a god damned thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Vile1011 said:

That was quite nice. One wierd thing though, some textures kinda went berzerk: for example the slimefalls in the first room changed to pictures of the player's face. It's probably a zdoom error. The next time I played the wad, the textures looked just fine.

One other thing, in the blue key room where the lights go out, when the hell knights(what are they doing here?) appear the screen flashes bright red constantly and it really hurt my eyes. Having a smooth glow would work much better I think.

Other than that, I don't think you need to change a god damned thing.


Hmm.. Yeah, what version of ZDoom are you using? There are a couple of textures I added in that are PNGs (those SNUKAGE1 flats), which might cause problems in older versions of zdoom.

Anyway, yeah, I fixed the problem in the blue key room, and made it fade glow red instead of seizure strobe red, along with a couple other stupid things I forgot to fix, and reuploaded it to my site and the archives.

Share this post


Link to post
NiGHTMARE said:

Vile1011: sounds like maybe you're using an old version of ZDoom. The latest is 2.0.63.


I am using the latest. Perhaps he's not? I dunno, it wasn't a big deal and it's never happened anywhere else.

Share this post


Link to post

OH MAN, A hell knight showed up! scared the *#$@ outta me! Doom 2 monsters in Ultimate doom... it was damn fun though. Is that enough for you to remake the whole episode? I felt like I was playing doom for the first time again, great job!

Share this post


Link to post
Csonicgo said:

OH MAN, A hell knight showed up! scared the *#$@ outta me! Doom 2 monsters in Ultimate doom... it was damn fun though. Is that enough for you to remake the whole episode? I felt like I was playing doom for the first time again, great job!


Yeah I was hoofing it back and ran into that Hellknight... kinda wakes you up. Very nice map Agent Spork. I love that ZDoom sloped green slime fall.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the nice comments people. :)

ZDaemon


Hmm.. I'm not sure about that one.. Isn't it based off an older version of ZDoom? Unless of course the new version actually updated it.

Share this post


Link to post

Oh yeah, I was thinking that the most recent version of ZDaemon was based off one of the recent 2.0.x betas, but it's actually still v1.23.

Anyway, there's also ZXDoom and GADoom :).

Share this post


Link to post

Awesome map! I really would love playing the whole episode in that quality. Also I like that the ways you have to find the secrets is very different, ie. a completely new experience.

Some suggestions:
- Am I supposed to straferun in order to reach the switches for the secret exit? I have to do this at least two times there, but my speedrunning skills are quite bad anyways. Maybe a slightly longer wait state wouldn't hurt there, as I mostly just reach the lowered wall which then takes me up and I have to start with the first switch again.
- When the Barons are defeated and you grab the blue key, it would be nicer if some lights go back on. In the original map, there are those lamps providing some guidance as well.
- The switch near the regular exit, which is part of a sequence can't be heared as the view is switched to the camera. Delaying it a few ticks, so you can hear and see the switch operating would be a good idea.
- The map could use some more skill adjustments, I think. At least there is a much bigger difference in the original's monster count between skill 2 and 4 as it is 34 vs. 131 there. Some adjustment would be appropriate, I guess.
- Not a particular issue of that map, but a sky replacement allowing proper mlooking without stretching would be a good idea as well.

And the bugs, I found:
- Near -1096, 369 the doortrack should be unpegged.
- The switch which opens the door to the secret exit shouldn't be repeatable.
- The wall hiding that sequence switch near the regular exit is strange pegged for my taste, especially during the lowering. Is this done on purpose?

Share this post


Link to post
LogicDeLuxe said:

Awesome map! I really would love playing the whole episode in that quality. Also I like that the ways you have to find the secrets is very different, ie. a completely new experience.

Some suggestions:
- Am I supposed to straferun in order to reach the switches for the secret exit? I have to do this at least two times there, but my speedrunning skills are quite bad anyways. Maybe a slightly longer wait state wouldn't hurt there, as I mostly just reach the lowered wall which then takes me up and I have to start with the first switch again.
- When the Barons are defeated and you grab the blue key, it would be nicer if some lights go back on. In the original map, there are those lamps providing some guidance as well.
- The switch near the regular exit, which is part of a sequence can't be heared as the view is switched to the camera. Delaying it a few ticks, so you can hear and see the switch operating would be a good idea.
- The map could use some more skill adjustments, I think. At least there is a much bigger difference in the original's monster count between skill 2 and 4 as it is 34 vs. 131 there. Some adjustment would be appropriate, I guess.
- Not a particular issue of that map, but a sky replacement allowing proper mlooking without stretching would be a good idea as well.

And the bugs, I found:
- Near -1096, 369 the doortrack should be unpegged.
- The switch which opens the door to the secret exit shouldn't be repeatable.
- The wall hiding that sequence switch near the regular exit is strange pegged for my taste, especially during the lowering. Is this done on purpose?


Alright, I'll fix as many of those I can.

Stupid question: Is there a way to force the game to dis-allow jumping? I don't wan't people jumping around in this map (not that there are really any places in the map that you could jump to skip parts of the map or anything, but still).

Share this post


Link to post

AgentSpork: Include the word "nojump" in a MAPINFO lump.

Stealthy Ivan: Because he prefers ZDoom perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post

Forcing people to use a single engine is a kind of dictatorship...

At least... all ports are boom and vanilla compatible... so I play mostly Boom, vanilla and non port specific maps mostly.

I play ZDoom maps when I have nothing else to try, which is very rare.
I love recording demos and since ZDoom has crappy demo support, I prefer not to use it and stick to regular PrBoom or vanilla.
And also, the mouse in zDoom is definatly not like the mouse in the real Doom. I like hardcore accurate mousing... so I dont want to screw up my mousing in vanilla.

Share this post


Link to post
VinceDSS said:

Forcing people to use a single engine is a kind of dictatorship...

Mong.

Share this post


Link to post
LogicDeLuxe said:

So this map is damn good, acording to the ratings: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=12501

Now, can we expect the few bugs fixed and other maps recreated?


O_o I didn't even bother to look at those comments. Wow.

Anyway, I have already fixed all the problems people have noticed and re-uploaded the wad (again) to the archives. It should be accepted, hopefully, soon.

Share this post


Link to post
VinceDSS said:

Forcing people to use a single engine is a kind of dictatorship...

Not really. So someone wants to make use of ZDoom's scripting, or Legacy's 3D floors. So what? If everyone stuck to making things which were compatible with any port, we wouldn't get anywhere and we wouldn't see some of the fantastic maps that are being released these days. Quit your complaining.




Oh and Spork, really nice map :D

Share this post


Link to post
VinceDSS said:

Forcing people to use a single engine is a kind of dictatorship...

First of all, nobody is forced to do anything here. If you don't want to use the port a map is designed for, just don't play it!

As pointed out, most ports have their unique fuetures which map authors want to use. That's why those features are there, isn't it? I see no point in not using them.

I play mostly with Prboom or Eternity myself, though I wouldn't consider them better than the other ports. When a map is designed for a specific port, I wouldn't hesitate to run it with it. I know they feel different, but why should all maps feel the same anyways?

Share this post


Link to post
LogicDeLuxe said:

First of all, nobody is forced to do anything here. If you don't want to use the port a map is designed for, just don't play it!


thats what I do, I dont play them :)

Share this post


Link to post

If you don't play them, why bother posting in threads about them? I mean I don't watch demos or play JDoom or Legacy (unless there's a really good wad for it, which unfortunately is rare), so I generally don't see any point in posting in threads related to these things.

BTW if you don't like the sensitivity of ZDoom's mouse, why don't you simply increase/decrease it?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×