Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

da Ipod

what is it about this device?
honeslty i dont think it is any better than anything else out there, and it is $50-$200 that everything else.
yea it is a cool toy to have however i am not gonna pay an extra $150 just for an Ipod.

i only have one issue with the device itself. it is made to be disposable. The battery pack is contained inside and cannot be removed, unless you open the device and do some soldering. the truth is batteries only have a limited amount of times it can charge and discharge. usally around 500-1000, maybe more. thats about 2-3 years. after that you either have to plug it into the wall/car to use it or buy the external battery pack, which is the size of an ipod. it is this way on all models i have seen.

is there any models that use a standard AA, AAA or external battery pack?

how many of you own one, would you recommend it. what good points does it have and what other bad points might it have?

One issue I can think of from the top of my head: support for Windows is spotty at best. You have to buy a Macintosh to get any good use out of this thing without plenty of crashes.

It is better designed and (crucially) more stylish than all of its competitors to the extent that there is nothing that comes close to it.

yea it does look good and cool, i would say that is a plus. however i base it on how well made is it, how long does it last, is it upgradeable, and all around features. if it looked like a rock or a turd i wouldnt care, just as long as it did what i needed it too. i would sya that an ipod does, with the exception of the battery fact.

One of my dad's friends would have you believe the iPod was the second coming of Christ. Something about being able to hold complete installs for several operating systems, plus a whole file server worth of shit.

This man is a nutcase prone for bullshit, though.

I have yet to see a CD player that plays MP3 and doesn't skip like a son of a bitch. Then again I haven't tried any MP3 players for over a year now.

Little known fact: the iPod's firmware contains a copy of the Small AMX, the same scripting system that Eternity is using. It was found by someone looking at a firmware update package, and they confirmed from strings in the binary that the interpreter is inside.

What is it used for? My idea is that it could be employed in some kind of media authentication, wherein a file needs to contain a compiled Small script in the header which can be run to authenticate the file. Just an idea though. It could be used for anything else too, but if the code isn't being downloaded into the machine, I wouldn't know what the use of a script interpreter would be.

If there's ever any "digital rights management" issues with the iPod later on, the knowledge of what virtual machine its scripts use could be a serious weakness :)

yeah mp3 cd players are the best, i've got a panasonic one with a little remote, so awesome. the discman stays in my backpack and i control it with the remote, i love it.

dr_st said:

I have yet to see a CD player that plays MP3 and doesn't skip like a son of a bitch. Then again I haven't tried any MP3 players for over a year now.

Heh, my new CD player rules. I was running down the street while listening to it and it was swinging around in my trench coat pocket. All the while it missed nary a beat. It seems to play mp3s just fine too.

I've been meaning to get one of those CD players with MP3 Support, but I'm low on cash right now. :( Another thing I've been meaning to get is those Bose noise cancelling headphones... You know, those $200 headphones that are way over-priced, but I assume it's worth the price, right?

Lizardcommando said:

I've been meaning to get one of those CD players with MP3 Support, but I'm low on cash right now. :( Another thing I've been meaning to get is those Bose noise cancelling headphones... You know, those $200 headphones that are way over-priced, but I assume it's worth the price, right?

no, my friend is a big headphone enthusiast and would testify against any bose anything. sennhauser <sp?> is what he prefers.

headfi.org is where he hangs out a lot. ask questions there to find the right headphone for you