Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ragnarok

New games to tide me over?

I have a question for anyone willing to give their opinion. And, to make sure it's on topic, I am using this info in an effort to hold me over until D3's inevitable release within the next few months (hopefully).

Anyway, I'm going to buy a game to take up some time, so I need to know what's a good choice. First, and excuse my ignorance, is Far Cry out? If so, should I think about that, UT 2004, or perhaps that PS2 game Drakenguard (I'm a square fan). Or, basically any other game that is worth playing. I appreciate any feedback!

PS- I haven't been paying too much attention to recent game releases... I've been playing FF6... so once again excuse my ignorance.

Thanks guys. Have either of you played Drakenguard? It looks all spiffy in the comercials, plus I think it's about $10 cheaper than other games. I liked the way Far Cry looked, so I think I will get it, especially if fellow Doomers like it! :)

My recommendation is on Painkiller, but you will have to seriously consider if it will appeal to you - because Painkiller being a good game is only my opinion (I don't like games that use modern day weapons and terrorists, so Far Cry does not appeal to me, but that shouldn't stop you if you happen to like that kind of stuff). Try the two Painkiller demos first (yes, both of them!).
I'm planning on getting that one myself, when I'm a little less busy.

Things to be aware of in Painkiller:

- Physics are not completely realistic - it uses the Havoc 2 physics engine on ragdoll physics etc. Some have complained that the enemies seem "too fluffy and lightweight". So if that bothers you, consider skipping this one.

- The weapons are purely fantasy weapons - no real life weaponry here. An example is a gun that shoots wooden stakes and is pretty powerful - not very realistic, and may seem ridiculous to you (as it did to me at first), but imo it's a lot of fun to use, because you can nail enemies to surfaces with it and because it sends enemies flying.

- The enemies are supposed to be demonic, yet are mostly comical (I think the zombies are a bit more horrific).

- The game ranges from being linear in the extreme and being "just basically linear". Some maps have zero retracing and is conjoined by "arenas", where gates close in front of you and behind you, followed up by enemies teleporting in - think Serious Sam, but in some cases even more linear. The good news is that the level design is much more interesting to look at than anything the Serious Sam games have to offer so far.
But if you hate linear gameplay, skip this one - or consider skipping it.

For now, I can't think of anything else that might take you off of this one, but I'd recommend checking the demos first. The first one, is extremely linear, while the second seems a little less linear.

Thanks for the post. I went to my local Gamestop and bought Far Cry, based solely on the fact that, although Painkiller seemed really cool, the guys said they had only sold Far Cry thus far. The owner did say that the demos were cool though. Where could I get the demos? from a web site? After Far Cry, and if the demos are as nice as they seem (plus the fact that I like killing as much stuff as possible, especially non-humans), Painkiller will be a valid choice because it looks so cool. Thanks!

Ragnarok said:

Where could I get the demos? from a web site?

You could always use google.com]google, but since I feel like being helpful today, try painkillergame.com and look under 'downloads'.
The mirror I used for both of the demos was Nvidea's website - worked for me.

I finished the Far Cry SP missions yesterday. Words cannot describe how awesome and adrenaline-pumping the jeep and boat chases are. Definitly the best game of the year so far.

Agreed, I on level 6 or so and really enjoy playing Far Cry. This will keep me busy until doom3 arives

dsm said:

The game ranges from being linear in the extreme and being "just basically linear". Some maps have zero retracing and is conjoined by "arenas", where gates close in front of you and behind you, followed up by enemies teleporting in - think Serious Sam, but in some cases even more linear.

That´s disappointing, because I really hate linear level design. But I´m nevertheless looking forward to play Painkiller, because the whole visual style of the game is exactly my taste, and I love the weapon designs. Also they seem to have done a much better job with implementing useful alt fire modes (and even combos) then other games.

Tetzlaff said:

I really hate linear level design.

If that's the case you'd better take a look at the second single player demo of painkiller before parting with your money.

I was quite impressed with the first demo, to the point where I planned to buy it. However, having just played the second demo, I plan to go nowhere near the game. It's linear in the extreme (as dsm said), has virtually no game play, is very very boring and is just plain dissappointing. I'm surprised a professional game company which has obviously spent a LOT of time on the game could mess it up so badly.

Russell_P said:

If that's the case you'd better take a look at the second single player demo of painkiller before parting with your money.

I was quite impressed with the first demo, to the point where I planned to buy it. However, having just played the second demo, I plan to go nowhere near the game. It's linear in the extreme (as dsm said), has virtually no game play, is very very boring and is just plain dissappointing. I'm surprised a professional game company which has obviously spent a LOT of time on the game could mess it up so badly.

I would suggest that they haven't, in fact, messed up. They've done exactly what they've set out to accomplish ... to make exactly this bland and boring game.

The reviews I read about Painkiller were quite positive...

As for linearity, I don´t expect true non-linear gameplay with multiple solutions. But I want a fair ammount of exploration and non-linear progress inside the levels. When all I can do is walk in a straight line from one one-way corridor to the next room to the next one-way corridor like in Unreal2, the game becomes incredibly boring to me.

But anyways, I also want to check out Painkillers multiplayer, which sounds quite promising.

Russell_P said:

Uh, the second sp demo is actually the less linear of the two.

You have the three-level demo with a boss arena at the end - that's demo no. 1 which is linear in the extreme.

Then you have a one-level demo that takes place on a city on water, which is still linear, but has a fair amount of going back to earlier spots to make it seem less linear - that's sp demo no. 2 and it's the newest one.

Personally I find wandering around the place, not knowing where the heck I'm suppoed to go or what I'm supposed to be doing, and without seeing even a single enemy for minutes at a time, to be far more boring than a linear level.

dsm said:

Uh, the second sp demo is actually the less linear of the two.
....and other stuff

I probably didn't phrase my sentence correctly. I'd say they're both very (extremely) linear. With the first one you're hearded in a specific direction but it flows quite well.
Admittedly in the second one you get to run around a bit more, but it's a case of you go here and now you must go here ad infinitum. Generally you only get to run around freely in areas that you've already cleared of enemies, so it doesn't really enhance gameplay and just makes it's linearity stick out like a sore thumb.
Anyway I found the first demo reasonably enjoyable, but the second one was just dull and tedious imho (especially bits like the part where you're walking down a corridor and a door drops down in front and behind of you. You're then required to step out on a balcony and shoot 4 or 5 guys at which point the doors raise again. Totally pointless!)

Thread title is:
NEW Games to tide me over?

Coopersville said:
Doom(2)